Arcade1up Star Wars pinball

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
Did I see that right? Supposed to be 3/4 scale with a 24" playfield? That's closer to 1/2 scale. A 24 inch 1920x1080 display is about 21" x 12.5" vs a standard WMS playfield of 42-44 x 20.25.

And it's an Arcade 1up machine with no actual "arcade" titles. The Arcade 1up lineup is full of classic retro stuff from Pac Man to Street fighter to NBA Jam. The Burger Time cabinet looks amazing. Ms Pac Man too. I bought the 1up Atari Star Wars cabinet in January and love it.

Most of the Zen Marvel tables are .. um... let's just say they are far from classics.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Well the entire cabinet is 3/4 scale. If you want edge to edge play field, you’ll need to drop in your own 32” monitor.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
for that kind of loot just get an old real pin, plenty of working options in the 600 range, and just a little more than that you could get something really cool. if your willing to get one without its original backglass and fix it up that opens your options even more.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
for that kind of loot just get an old real pin, plenty of working options in the 600 range, and just a little more than that you could get something really cool. if your willing to get one without its original backglass and fix it up that opens your options even more.

The two I have I picked up for that price. Guess what? You wind up sinking a lot more money into them, fixing them, keeping them running. And the cheaper the table, the more you’ll be spending to get it into a playing condition you’ve gotten used to from all these years playing digital versions.

Not saying it’s not worth it, but it’s a pipe dream thinking $600 will get you a pinball machine that plays nice.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
SYT is right on. Also prices have gone up quite a bit over the past few years (Thanks Farsight!). I remember seeing an EM on Craiglist in 2012 for around $400. Today that same EM would closer to $1000.

Last edited:

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
i got a fully functional bally Black Jack for $600 (back glass replaced with a really bad print out), there are options just not great ones

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
The display is pretty tiny. I prefer the idea of playing digital pinball in VR over having a big cabinet in my place anyway though. I’m thrilled that Zen said they will announce that in February. If there is some kind of physical peripheral in the equation, it will be the best way to play digital pinball by far.

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
What exactly are you referring to? Can you provide a direct quote?

For sure!

“We have a major VR product in development right now. We will be announcing it in February of next year [2021]. Our current pinball VR is pretty epic... it’s pretty cool. This is gonna just... this is going next-level.”

Then he confirms it will be available on Oculus Quest 2 and tells a guy at 1up that he has to talk to him about a VR project.

https://youtu.be/6GgcrJfLF0c?t=3839

Last edited:

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
Yeah, it’s news that has definitely flew under the radar. Only place I saw it mentioned was on the PinballFX3 subreddit.

I’m hoping it’s a general Pinball FX4 announcement that includes support for VR across all of the platforms that can support it, but I’ll be happy with anything that gets me the Williams tables in VR. I’ve wanted that since the first day I saw the Oculus Rift Kickstarter, and it couldn’t come at a better time now with Zen’s excellent handling of those tables and the high resolution headsets that are now available.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
I surprised no one seemed to catch Mel saying they had a "Holy Grail" (Indiana Jones) title in development.

VR will probably be structured as separate IP SKUs, so a Star Wars VR, FX3 Original VR, etc.

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
Oh yeah, that too! Super exciting stuff.

I’m going to be buying every single VR table no matter how they package it. Been waiting so long for this!

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I've recently been getting into VR (yep, late adopter due to cost and roomscale constraints).

I got the Quest 2 working on PC rift (wired at this stage due to local network bandwidth topology issues).

I tried out Zaccaria VR and I'm blown away by the feeling you get when playing pinball in VR. When the Time Machine playfield raises and lowers, it just looks so convincing.

I've got to see if I can get some codes from Zen so I can experience FX2 VR on both Quest 2 and Steam VR.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Yeah, it’s news that has definitely flew under the radar. Only place I saw it mentioned was on the PinballFX3 subreddit.

I’m hoping it’s a general Pinball FX4 announcement that includes support for VR across all of the platforms that can support it, but I’ll be happy with anything that gets me the Williams tables in VR. I’ve wanted that since the first day I saw the Oculus Rift Kickstarter, and it couldn’t come at a better time now with Zen’s excellent handling of those tables and the high resolution headsets that are now available.
I'd love it if they did the same thing as Zaccaria Pinball and managed the VR aspect as a secondary module you could add on.

Hmm I wonder if this is getting into "new thread" territory now.

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
I'd love it if they did the same thing as Zaccaria Pinball and managed the VR aspect as a secondary module you could add on.

Hmm I wonder if this is getting into "new thread" territory now.

I didn’t know Zaccaria had VR support! Too bad my PC is way too weak to run it.

FX2 on Quest is a quick and dirty port of an Oculus Go game and it still looks pretty nice on Quest 2 so I’m guessing I will be more than happy with the visual upgrades on the much more powerful Quest 2 hardware for this new project. It’s worth checking out FX2 VR, but I feel like it only scratches the surface of the potential... table selection is really lacking.

Yeah, this could use its own thread. More people should be excited for VR pinball, dammit! I guess we are talking about a niche genre on niche hardware though. Hah.

Last edited:

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013
I've recently been getting into VR (yep, late adopter due to cost and roomscale constraints).

I got the Quest 2 working on PC rift (wired at this stage due to local network bandwidth topology issues).

I tried out Zaccaria VR and I'm blown away by the feeling you get when playing pinball in VR. When the Time Machine playfield raises and lowers, it just looks so convincing.

I've got to see if I can get some codes from Zen so I can experience FX2 VR on both Quest 2 and Steam VR.

If you have a PC then you need to try the Stern pinball VR on the Oculus Rift store as this is fantastic in VR, you do need a PC but the Quest 2 extra display increase really does these tables wonders, the Ghostbusters table looks fantastic in in the Quest 2 HMD.

Dok5555555

Nov 1, 2013
Anyone think they'll announce anything new tomorrow for CES? Maybe the tables included in the Attack from Mars machine. Or possibly a completely new machine.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.