Arcooda questions

Zygon78

May 15, 2018
I'm all in a panic, because I was unaware of the loss of the Williams/Bally licenses until Farsight sent out their newsletter a few days ago. (Prior to now, I've double dipped for everything on iOS and Playstation) I'd peek on here as a non-member just to read up on answers to the newsletter hints about the next table. However, in light of the fact that a lot of us have some tough financial choices to consider in less than a month and a half, I'm curious how other people are interpreting what is coming up with the Arcooda TPA software and the machine itself. I recently messaged the Arcooda folks and received this reply:

"We plan to have announcements on price and all details for our cabinets by 1st week of June. However, purchase in the way of software must be purchased before the 30th June as we will no longer have the rights to the Williams/Bally licenses after this date. On-line ordering can be done on 16th May."

The way I interpret this is that as long as we purchase the software package now, if we don't have the finances to drop what I presume is at least a $5000 device at the moment, we are safe in regards to having access to the Williams/Bally games, right? My concern is that even if you purchase the software ahead of the machine, they are still going to incorporate that cost on top of the machine to allow you to purchase it (without a discounted price for that software purchase.)

Also, despite reading the purchase options I want to confirm what I'm reading. I'm begrudgingly (as I don't see table pack/individual tables available for purchase vs. iOs and Playstation) in the midst of deciding which pro seasons at $40 a pop are worth buying to continue to have access to as I figure Steam servers will have the longevity that Sony and Apple may not. (Season 1 already bought, because it contains so many essentials, but probably season 6 to maintain access to Doctor Who.)
But what I'm, getting at is doing the math: it's about $430 to buy all the pro seasons and the Arcooda Steam software versus $500 for the Arcooda Cabinet software package. I'm gathering the Arcooda Cabinet package is exclusive just to their machine (i.e., that $500 does not get you Steam keys for those, right?) I feel like I'm potentially forced to quadruple dip. Pony up $250 now on Steam to ensure the longest access to these tables in the grand scheme, plus $500 to justify the purpose of the Arcooda machine as the Steam Arcooda add-on appears not to have access to all the bells and whistles that the Arcooda machine justifies its existence on.

Is anyone else feeling trapped like this now?

GAH1068

Mar 6, 2018
Everything I am reading seems to indicate if you buy the licenses before 6/30 you will have access to the tables going forward. I already have all 7 seasons on Steam. With what I have invested in the DLC and the cabinet itself I am willing to pay 149.00 to have proper support for my cab. I do have some concerns about how things will work in the future. If Farsight continues to support the Arcooda version I am ok, I just worry that it will fall by the wayside somewhere down the road. Hopefully this means that future tables will also get cabinet treatment too and not be limited to the 76 tables that they have worked on.

Zygon78

May 15, 2018
The thing that confuses me is what platform is Arcooda calling the software for the machine, if we purchase it in advance of the it. Is it Steam, Android, etc. It's just the factor we only have a matter of weeks to decide how we buy this stuff that stinks!

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
The thing that confuses me is what platform is Arcooda calling the software for the machine, if we purchase it in advance of the it. Is it Steam, Android, etc. It's just the factor we only have a matter of weeks to decide how we buy this stuff that stinks!
As I understood it, there are two different platforms - one is based on Steam, the other is completely standalone (meaning no connection required to either FarSight's or Valve's servers).

Jay

May 19, 2012
I'm just confused about how it all works. The website isn't very clear, from what I could see. It appears that having the games installed costs $499. But there's no mention of the cost of the cabinet (which I'm assuming is in the thousands). If that's the case, I'll just keep playing it on my PC.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I've been posting answers to questions on the main article comment thread http://digitalpinballfans.com/content.php/538-Cabinet-Mode-for-TPA-via-Arcooda-Software so be sure to check that out.

The Arcooda software uses the Steam version for all intents and purposes. The cabinet visuals though are what you are buying with the key, as those are completely custom to Arcooda. So if you already own the tables, the $149 version is the key alone.

For those that already own a cabinet but not any TPA, the standalone $499 version gets you the 76 titles plus the key, as well as them being 'offline' so that you don't have to have your cabinet logging into servers every time.

If you want the ultimate version of the software, you buy the Arcooda version for $499 (same stuff as above) but will then need to buy one of their cabinets. This version of the software can run the digital tilt, solenoids, and 3D capabilities as well as using touchscreen. I am not aware of the cabinet pricing just yet, but it's going to be 8-9 grand with all the bells and whistles. These cabs allow you to plug consoles directly into them, can run Android, and also you can swap the lockbar for joystick and button controls to play standard arcade games.

So to answer your question, if you have no plans on buying an Arcooda cabinet, you can just buy the $149 version and pick up whatever seasons you are missing on Steam. If off line is important and you are going to use your own cab, don't buy anything on Steam and get the $499 version.

Know this too...Arcooda does not have Stern titles for their cab. There is also no guarantee they'll have cab mode for future Gottlieb titles as that is not in their control but FarSight's. Hope this has helped.

frankiedf

Feb 6, 2013

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
1. As it stands I think that if you are thinking of getting a cabinet now or in the near future AND are willing and able to spend 7-10k$ then getting the Full Arcooda software package (500$) is what you should get.

2. If you are getting an other cabinet than Arcoodas and got the tables you want on Steam then it is the 179$ if you are fine with being connected to the internet with your cabinet.

3. For me I've decided to go the Virtual way, hoping that TPA will implement VR in an acceptable way. The next generation of Oculus (out in a few years it seems, maybe as early as late 2019) looks good, although no actual specs are posted the tech they have shown looks promising. So with that I will forgo a cabinet because of space limitations and not really interested in spending 10$ + shipping and VAT; I only work halftime and am not going to step it up just to get some extra cash, rather spend that time in my studio and the forest :)

Dan

Feb 28, 2012
Some stupid questions: I plan to buy the full standalone version without a DIY cabinet (maybe it will come later). Can I play TPA with a gamepad or a homemade USB pin controller? I mean, no connections, soldering, touchscreens etc. required, is that correct? And the system requirements will be a gaming PC with Win10 or 7 on it, right? I mean no customized OS.

Last edited:

Zygon78

May 15, 2018
I'm thinking about hedging my bets and buy some more tables on Steam, but also get the Arcooda full package now. With moving into a rental house while selling my current place, I can't really afford to be dropping that many thousands of dollars and will hope that enough people buy the Arcooda Machines to keep the company going until I can afford one maybe half a year or more from now. Is anybody else planning of that? (locking in the software, that is?)

CheeseUM98

Sep 7, 2012
Hello. I'm a longtime TPA fan, just trying to get a better idea of how this Arcooda software functions. I'm very interested in buying into the $500 package and having a free standing system, but not necessarily sold on buying a $7-10K cabinet specific for it. Does anyone know how amenable to a DIY cabinet this software is? Does this just run on a PC and then its just a matter of setting up the dual monitors and controls to run it? What can I do with this software once I have it? Sorry about the very noobish question, but I was very interested in having a virtual pinball machine, and this seems like it would be a relatively easy way to do it. Thanks

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Hello. I'm a longtime TPA fan, just trying to get a better idea of how this Arcooda software functions. I'm very interested in buying into the $500 package and having a free standing system, but not necessarily sold on buying a $7-10K cabinet specific for it. Does anyone know how amenable to a DIY cabinet this software is? Does this just run on a PC and then its just a matter of setting up the dual monitors and controls to run it? What can I do with this software once I have it? Sorry about the very noobish question, but I was very interested in having a virtual pinball machine, and this seems like it would be a relatively easy way to do it. Thanks

Well there’s two $499 options; one for an actual Arcooda cabinet and one for any other cabinet. That includes DIY. At purchase you’ll have to pick between a 2 or 3 monitor setup. Yes, if runs off a PC. The software allows you to play in cabinet view, with DMD and animated backglass on their own monitor. It’s offline, requiring no FarSight log in. If you want digital tilt, solenoid or shaker motor function, and parallax 3D, you’ll have to buy the Arcooda cabinet too in addition to the Arcooda specific software.

FarSight_Matt

FarSight Employee
Jan 24, 2018
So the Arcooda software and the cabinet can be bought and used separately, but how much is the Arcooda cabinet? Have they announced a price?

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Every time I come in this thread I get Baracuda from Heart stuck in my head!
yep sounds fishy or iffy Kolchak . I mentioned in another thread that I`m looking at buying a VP Pinball table in the next 6-12 months . so far I found 2 places 1st place just outside Brisbane , Custom Built Arcade Machines $2,599 au pinball and games , 2nd place Perth , Arcade Rewind 863 Table Virtual Pinball , it also has pinball and games on it $4,200 au. from what I have gathered so far they Visual , Future , Pinball fx2 are used I`m not sure of any other . what I liked about these 2 it`s not just pinball but games as well .and don`t forget these are Aussie prices which is 80c in the US dollar .:cool:

wolfson

May 24, 2013
there is a third place $4,200 au . it`s called Virtual Pinball Machine - Cue Power Billiards Australia , they are in South Australia :cool:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
yep sounds fishy or iffy Kolchak . I mentioned in another thread that I`m looking at buying a VP Pinball table in the next 6-12 months . so far I found 2 places 1st place just outside Brisbane , Custom Built Arcade Machines $2,599 au pinball and games , 2nd place Perth , Arcade Rewind 863 Table Virtual Pinball , it also has pinball and games on it $4,200 au. from what I have gathered so far they Visual , Future , Pinball fx2 are used I`m not sure of any other . what I liked about these 2 it`s not just pinball but games as well .and don`t forget these are Aussie prices which is 80c in the US dollar .:cool:

Well from what Arcooda has recently said, the super expensive model is their steel cabinet model. They have 2 Chinese companies and one in the US that I believe are going to make 'timber' cabinets. Those will be significantly less expensive. Other price factors you have to consider are what size screen is being used for the playfield, how good or resilient is that monitor, will it be touchscreen capable like Arcooda, and then finally how built to last are the actual components. Also, Arcooda will be able to play MAME style arcade games either on the playfield for vertical screen games, or up on the backglass for horizontal. Inputs on the front allow for consoles to be plugged in and played. Android games can be played since the screen is touch, but their also is the whole business of swapping out the lockbar for joystick and buttons. So before gawking at the price, realize all that it is coming with.

I should also note that Arcooda is an Australian company, so they are keenly aware of local costs.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Well from what Arcooda has recently said, the super expensive model is their steel cabinet model. They have 2 Chinese companies and one in the US that I believe are going to make 'timber' cabinets. Those will be significantly less expensive. Other price factors you have to consider are what size screen is being used for the playfield, how good or resilient is that monitor, will it be touchscreen capable like Arcooda, and then finally how built to last are the actual components. Also, Arcooda will be able to play MAME style arcade games either on the playfield for vertical screen games, or up on the backglass for horizontal. Inputs on the front allow for consoles to be plugged in and played. Android games can be played since the screen is touch, but their also is the whole business of swapping out the lockbar for joystick and buttons. So before gawking at the price, realize all that it is coming with.

I should also note that Arcooda is an Australian company, so they are keenly aware of local costs.
shutyertrap , point taken , only found these places the other day , there might be more . all 3 places I believe are 40 inch screens , there not touch screen . I don`t have a lot of money so I`m looking at a table I can afford . I sent an email to Arcooda and all they said we will let you know shortly , that was about 4-5 months . if I can get a table for $2,600 to $4,200 au well that`s what I can afford . I`ll bet Arcooda will be priced $8,000-$10,000. they have talking for 2 years about there table.:cool:

Members online

Members online