Audio absent

Iguana

Jul 28, 2013
99% of the time, I play with the sound off (preferring to listen to music as I play pinball from a separate source).

Today, I noticed TPA is totally mute. Sound is on, volume is on, other apps have audio.

Any suggestions for a fix? I use an ipad 3.

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
Device Reset (won't affect settings/data/music/apps/etc)

1. Press and hold (& continue to hold) BOTH the Sleep/Wake button & the Home button.
2. Continue to hold BOTH (ignoring any other messages that may show) until you see the Apple logo on the screen.
3. Release BOTH buttons when you see the Apple logo and allow the device to boot normally.

If that does not help, check your device's side switch settings:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4085

Iguana

Jul 28, 2013
No dice. It seems to be my device (I have a second ipad 3 and iPhone 5c, and the audio of TPA is present). For what its worth, I have not upgraded any of the devices to iSO 8.

I rebooted several times, logged off and back on to TPA, and tried the above suggestions to no avail.

Any more thoughts?

Iguana

Jul 28, 2013
In general settings, I toggled from lock rotation to mute, and then back to lock rotation (for the third time since trying to resolve issue). Prior to today, I don't recall ever changing that setting, except maybe when I first got my ipad (well over a year ago).

The third time I toggled the settings was shortly after I tried the earbuds (sound from them, but still no sound from main speaker after unplugging buds).

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
Prior to today, I don't recall ever changing that setting, except maybe when I first got my ipad (well over a year ago).
These kinds of phantom setting changes can be expected when you update iOS. Bluetooth is always turned on by default after an iOS update...I always need to disable this setting after an update. I've had to reset my side switch setting from controlling audio mute back to controlling screen rotation numerous times after an iOS update...a couple of those times had me scratching my head and thinking WTH happened to the sound? I know now to check this setting in particular if the sound goes screwy.

Regarding correcting the issue by plugging headphones in/out a few times...the headphone jack also contains a switch that mutes the speaker sound when headphones are plugged in. All of the contacts in the headphone jack (including the internal switch) can get corroded over time (I doubt the contacts are gold plated). The simple act of plugging the headphones in/out can clean these contacts. I've also found that twisting the headphone plug within the jack does a more thorough cleaning.

Thanks for posting back with the solution that worked for you.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts