Request Ball hits the glass? Maybe?

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
Hi guys
I don't know if it's ever been requested but here I go!
Most of you have played pinball in real life.
Sometimes it happens that the ball hits the glass and I think it would be cool to have that on tpa.
Of course it would be a mostly random generated thingie but it would be cool ^^
I think that I've played some digital pinball that had that... pro pinball maybe? I'm not sure...
What do you think about it?

night

May 18, 2012
Cool idea. It would be great to have the illusion of glass as well, although that is not an easy thing to pull off successfully. I find the illusion of glass on Revenge of the Rob-o-Bot very well done, but it fails on Zaccaria.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
A cool idea, but if I remember right their engine doesn't really support airballs, so would be a bigger task than you might think. Might be nice to have the sound effect play randomly every one in four times on insanity falls, though, as that's the most famous glass hitting moment. But a very low-priority issue, I think!

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
TPA can handle 3d physics, like CV's ringmaster throw or the NGG Hole-in-One shot or MM's troll popping up under a ball. But yeah, the ball never leaves the table unless something deliberately makes it.

Would we really want airballs though? We've already got enough problems with the ball clipping through flippers and such.

Yes, Pro Pinball has airballs. Most notable is the mini-ramp at the police car scoop on BRUSA. The ball can even land on the ramp habitrail from there.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
The only table with notable airball I can think of is the centre target in Data East Star Trek. Hit it and there's a good chance the ball will fly OVER the flippers and drain. Airball is generally not meant to happen, but unavoidable, in real pinball. By excluding it (except where it's by design) Farsight are making their testing a lot easier.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
A cool idea, but if I remember right their engine doesn't really support airballs, so would be a bigger task than you might think.

It has to get some air off the ramp to hit uppercuts on Champion Pub though, right? Hm although I suppose they could possibly just have an invisible ramp extending off the end, not sure I've ever dribbled a shot over the edge and had it fall off to check that.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
It has to get some air off the ramp to hit uppercuts on Champion Pub though, right? Hm although I suppose they could possibly just have an invisible ramp extending off the end, not sure I've ever dribbled a shot over the edge and had it fall off to check that.

I think the point is there are only airballs where expected. So the ball only leaves the ground when the programmer has specifically made it. Unexpected airballs (for example) off of drop targets don't happen.

Kemetman72

Banned
Sep 12, 2012
It absolutley needs at least the sound to be included if we ever get the Addam's Family. I played on a brand new machine and slapping it up the left thing ramp always hits the glass if the shot is done properly. Whitewater too - Insanity Falls! At least put a sound sample there.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts