Best(current) Visual Pinball tables?

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
tables are so variable in wuakity and even sanity of tuning...still acdc tron etc play pretty sweetly, some tables the shots just feel insane

im happy to get tahe quality tuned ones tho, bit of a pick and mix

some weird assed behabious from older desktop tables, tomorrow ill try their fullscreen counterparts even if i can play them properly

the stuff with the new kyshics plays pretty damn well

some tables make soace cadet look like a beast

for some tables tbh ill go back to pacdudes stuff

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
okie dokie today i plan to try some more full screen versions and possiblity hand tweak the size of them coverted for horizontal play, tbh it seems to be where all the real effort is today, not to take anything away from 4:3 tables of thr past but in the last couole of years wuality and more importantky FEEL have take. a major step forward. tpa envy prehaps:p

one area where it trueky excels is in sfx the ball the flippers kerchunk!

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I hooked up a 2nd monitor so I can use that for dedicated pinball. Anyone know how I can get the playfield to display on my secondary? Does the playfield have to display on the primary monitor? I have my main monitor in landscape and the 2nd in portrait, so I don't want my 2nd to be my primary.

EDIT:

Doing some digging: it sounds like "Playfield monitor needs to be primary monitor 1 and it needs to be in landscape orientation (VP will not work if set to Portrait mode)"....WTF man? How am I supposed to navigate windows with a vertical monitor in landscape mode? :confused: So there's no way to just have the playfield load on the secondary monitor?

Last edited:

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Yes its kinda stupid. Everything is done in Windows instead of VP.
They just assume you use that pc for nothing than pinball
Hate standing besides the cab instead of front.
So they are even worse than farsight implementing convenient portrait mode

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Yes its kinda stupid. Everything is done in Windows instead of VP.
They just assume you use that pc for nothing than pinball
Hate standing besides the cab instead of front.
So they are even worse than farsight implementing convenient portrait mode

I guess this is where hyperspin comes in handy? But hairy said it doesn't even work with physmod5?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
In the meantime, I'm enjoying some of the newer desktop releases of some classics:

DJJhnjq.png

g2wTQp4.png

GasEGtn.png

Last edited:

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
As Frontend I use pinballx.
Very good, future proof, and they are improving the ways TPA and fx2 can be implemented as well

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
@the_loafer

intresting, any ideas on why id be experiencing this? just using the standard oatching software with patches from vpuniverse. glad its actually funky, cheers for any infi

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I'd love to, but I need to get a new PC before I even think about visual pinball. I'm eventually going to have to do it though. Too many EMs on there that I think I would dig. Thanks for the invite guys.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
I'd love to, but I need to get a new PC before I even think about visual pinball. I'm eventually going to have to do it though. Too many EMs on there that I think I would dig. Thanks for the invite guys.
Maybe not. Before the dx9 update vp could only use like 10 % of modern graphics hardware, so a lot went to waste.
Now you get decent results, even on low end systems.

Indy99

May 24, 2013
I would love to try some VP. But from what I see it looks so complicated to try to get a table up and running. Can anyone point me to easy to follow instructions to get some tables up and running? I appreciate any tips anyone sends my way.

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
@the_loafer

intresting, any ideas on why id be experiencing this? just using the standard oatching software with patches from vpuniverse. glad its actually funky, cheers for any infi

I have no idea but is this only happening on the ones you patch or are all desktop view tables doing this?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I would love to try some VP. But from what I see it looks so complicated to try to get a table up and running. Can anyone point me to easy to follow instructions to get some tables up and running? I appreciate any tips anyone sends my way.

It's really not hard if you know your way around windows. It's basically just a matter of installing/updating the software and knowing which folders to put the table and ROM files into. I'd be happy to help you get going.

This may look long, but it's only because I'll be very detailed. It's really only 3 steps: 1.) Install the software 2.) Update your scripts 3.) Download Tables....that's really all there is to it. :cool:

1.) So start by downloading and installing the latest version of VP HERE (after you click the green "download" button and agree to the terms, select the file labled "VPinball991_Full.zip")

Then download and install VPinmame: http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/2480-vpinmame-sampindmdunity-unified-version/

2.) After installing that, just one final step: you'll need to update your VBS scripts by downloading this. All you need to do is extract that into your Tables folder and overwrite as needed. Unless you changed it in your installation options, it's usually found here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Pinball\Tables

3.) Now you're ready to play! See, that was a piece of cake! :D

Just download some tables and roms and you're ready to rock. If you have some specific tables you'd like to try I can link you to the best versions and the ROMs (you have to download ROMs seperately). The trick is to download tables that are made for this version of VP (don't download really old stuff or you'll need to install VP 8 as well...there's plenty of new stuff to keep you busy). So the easiest way to find the right tables is to go to vpforums.org, on the top menu click on Visual Pinball tables, then under "VP 9 Desktop Tables" click on VPM or VP Recreations and then sort the results by most recent.

Tables go into your Tables folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Pinball\Tables

Now if you don't know what ROM you need, but you have the table downloaded and in the proper folder, go ahead open VP, go to File >> Open...then select a table. Then once it's loaded go to Table >> Play...it will tell you what ROM you need to download. You can find the ROMs on VPforums.org as well. You don't need to extract them. Just put the whole zip file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Pinball\VPinMame\roms

Hope this helps. Let know how it goes.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Nice guide Jeff!
There are definitely longer and more complicated ones out there.
But didn't you forget vpinmame?
It is the rom emulator you need to get dmd output.
I would recommend this unified version that comes with a sam.vbs to allow for recent out of production Stern tables (x-men, AC-DC,...)
http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/2480-vpinmame-sampindmdunity-unified-version/

Oh right, it's been so long since I did a fresh install that I forgot that it didn't automatically install VPinmame. Thanks man. Updated the post.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.