Black Friday $30 USD for PS +

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
It's very rare that anyone discounts the 1 year Playstation Plus membership like this, take advantage online , Best Buy, Walmart , Gamestop , (and I believe Target).

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
If you're reading this post late (today) It seems Walmart is continuing the sale over the weekend, (and they accept paypal payments btw) the downside is that they are taking 2 weeks to drop it off at my local store , when it's already in stock on the shelves..

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
It was available direct from Sony but maybe not on the PSN store

Yeah, Sony's online store had them available at that price, but the PSN Store definitely did not. I checked it myself to save time and I was surprised that they weren't participating, so I bought one at Amazon.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
wow you think that would get a mention in the whats new section on XMB they usually adverties holiday discounts.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
wow you think that would get a mention in the whats new section on XMB they usually adverties holiday discounts.
Well, it was only a one day deal (Black Friday) and only at select retailers. The discount wasn't available on the PS Store itself, so it was pointless to advertise it on the XMB.

FWIW, they did mention it on the PS Blog.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
I tacked on one more year to what I already had for 30 bucks, at this rate with the voucher that will come with the PS4 I'll be covered almost all the way through 2015 before long..

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I ended up buying 5 of these.. by mistake.

I couldn't tell if my GameStop orders for the 1 year of Plus were going through because their servers were a mess on Black Friday 12:01am. Constant freezing and 404 errors over and over again. A couple seemed to go through,but I wasn't receiving any email confirmations for over an hour so I repeated.

I also saw there was a limit of 2 per persons/households, so I wasn't worried.
about 16 hours later I started receiving confirmations + codes in my email. Since there is no refunds on codes I am stuck with them.

I may think about selling a couple. As it is, without entering any I am set until 11/2014.

It's very rare that anyone discounts the 1 year Playstation Plus membership like this, take advantage online , Best Buy, Walmart , Gamestop , (and I believe Target).

Amazon.com was selling them as well..

I still don't know how they get away with charging tax on digital codes.
I was under the impression that sales tax were only to be charged on tangible goods.
They told me it was because they consider the code is being "shipped" to your email address.
Sounds like BS to me...

Last edited:

brakel

Apr 27, 2012

I couldn't tell if my GameStop orders for the 1 year of Plus were going through because their servers were a mess on Black Friday 12:01am. Constant freezing and 404 errors over and over again. A couple seemed to go through,but I wasn't receiving any email confirmations for over an hour so I repeated.

about 16 hours later I started receiving confirmations + codes in my email. Since there is no refunds on codes I am stuck with them.

I may think about selling a couple. As it is, without entering any I am set until 11/2014.

I was under the impression that sales tax were only to be charged on tangible goods.
They told me it was because they consider the code is being "shipped" to your email address.
Sounds like BS to me...

The company charging the tax just charges by what their tax lawyer has told them to charge for your state. They would rather not charge you tax since they get none of the tax so it's not BS on the store's account.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
The company charging the tax just charges by what their tax lawyer has told them to charge for your state. They would rather not charge you tax since they get none of the tax so it's not BS on the store's account.

Actually it is BS for Amazon to charge tax on a PSN Plus code because this is a digital service and not a digital "good".

The difference being that you are not buying this code in lieu of something else, be it a game, song, video, etc..
It is a service.

When your 1 year of Plus membership is expired, you keep nothing, with the exception of digital content you bought on sale, but applicable sales tax will be apllied as a separate entity.

The Taxation of Digital Goods law simply does not apply here.

No other company I bought from has charged me sales taxes on PSN Plus code purchases. Game Stop, Best Buy, Fry's, and all of them have retail stores in NY as well which makes it mandatory for them to charge sales tax when applicable.

Anyway, it's not a big deal when buying 1 year, but buying 5 years, like I have could have added an additional $15 had I bought them all from Amazon.com.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013

Sounds like BS to me...

Surely if you were charged multiple times as a result of a server error then you are due a refund. The fault is entirely in their hands. If it means you end up with five free codes then that's their problem.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Surely if you were charged multiple times as a result of a server error then you are due a refund. The fault is entirely in their hands. If it means you end up with five free codes then that's their problem.

Kind of hard to prove though worth giving a try.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Kind of hard to prove though worth giving a try.

Yeah, exactly. Not a big deal though. I spent $32 each and they are back up to $50 so worse case I will sell them on eBay and make my money back.
Or I will keep them and have Plus until 2019. The service may outlive me though. :p

I like buying into services for extended amounts of time and then not having to worry for years. After a while it feels like it's free.
Back in 2004 I had my Nintendo Power subscription extended until the end of 2016. With those I ended up getting most of the years for free by purchasing and stacking 12 month subs along with a Zelda Minish Cap guide and then turned around and sold the guide for $25 on eBay. Most people didn't realize you could ask for a different guide than what was being shown in the ad and the Zelda MC guide was hard to find at the time.

Mk pinball fan

Jul 11, 2012
Hi pinball friends!

I know this isn't as good as Black Friday, but it's still a good deal. Best buy has Playstation Plus 12 month membership cards on sale now (on website) or tomorrow in store for $35.00 each. X Box Gold Cards on sale too.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
For Canadians, Dec 26 Boxing Day only - PS+ 1 Year Cards are $30. Best Buy, Future Shop, Wal-Mart, presumably many other retailers.

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
For Canadians, Dec 26 Boxing Day only - PS+ 1 Year Cards are $30. Best Buy, Future Shop, Wal-Mart, presumably many other retailers.

Here in Nova Scotia, where retailers are closed the 26th and open the 27th for Boxing Day sales, the WM I went to sneakily removed all the 1 year subscription cards, only 3 month ones were there. Yes, it opened at 7am and that is when I was there.

Members online

Members online