BlahCade Podcast #14 - #Continbute

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
To answer the PC tournament question on what is involved in putting in a tournament on PC. The short answer is I'm not sure. Ryan implemented the tournaments. So I'm not sure all what it entails. I imagine there are UI screens that need setup, and some code changes as well as some code to post the results to the server.

As for DX 11, the engine programmer has started work on it.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
To answer the PC tournament question on what is involved in putting in a tournament on PC. The short answer is I'm not sure. Ryan implemented the tournaments. So I'm not sure all what it entails. I imagine there are UI screens that need setup, and some code changes as well as some code to post the results to the server.

Thanks Mike. Always good to get a response from within the ranks as opposed to our wild guessing!

And yeah, we recoded this before finding out 'the mechanic' was working on the engine.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012

Thanks for the info Mike. It just seems very puzzling that tournaments have never been implemented on PC. Seems like it would be a priority.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I'd like the next podcast to contain the following:

1. SYT's Oscar picks for the major categories
2. A rundown of fast food/street food favorites from the non-American folks (Jared, Bonzo, Hairy, etc)
3. And some Addams Family talk to get us revved up for the next release

Thank you

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
iiii knnnooowww!!! that movie is still too intense... -even though nobody dies during it;- i never thought of that till last time i saw it a few years ago... crazy!! (spookily enough though, there's then the 'poltergeist curse' afterwards that took the lives of the two actresses, the young girl and her older sis, the teen girl... memories of some old time-life infomercial, with a deep voice... 'COINCIDENCE?') now that movie deserved a kewl 'haunted house' style pinball table! (and while watching 'tron' again just now - the original 'tron'... ;0 maybe with modern tech, it'd be fun to revisit the original in some cyberish way and improve on the 'legacy' table - something much more complex and different though - going by mem of what i've seen of 'legacy' in vids; never seen/played one rl)

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Good job again fellas.

On SYT's award for 'most pointless remake', there may be competition from the new 'poltergeist'.

Yeah, I just watched the trailer. For added insult, I then watched the original trailer. Here's the diff between the two: the original let's you know something is going on in the house, and then shows bright lights hitting people's faces as they look on in awe or terror. The new trailer shows you the clown attacking, kids flying around, tells you the house is built on a cemetery, shows the house starting to implode (or explode, hard to tell). So essentially the new trailer is pointing out that all your favorite bits are going to be in this new film.

This begs the question, if all you are doing is fan service, why wouldn't I just go back and watch the original? It has aged incredibly well (practical effects, thank you very much), and is still creepy as all get out.

I'll never understand it. Remake movies that weren't good but had the potential to be great, not great movies that have nothing wrong with them. If that is too much to ask for, how 'bout taking the premise and going in a completely different direction? I don't know how many of you saw the 80's version of The Blob compared to the 50's version, but THAT is how you do a remake!

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
iiii knnnooowww!!! that movie is still too intense... -even though nobody dies during it;- i never thought of that till last time i saw it a few years ago... crazy!! (spookily enough though, there's then the 'poltergeist curse' afterwards that took the lives of the two actresses, the young girl and her older sis, the teen girl... memories of some old time-life infomercial, with a deep voice... 'COINCIDENCE?') now that movie deserved a kewl 'haunted house' style pinball table! (and while watching 'tron' again just now - the original 'tron'... ;0 maybe with modern tech, it'd be fun to revisit the original in some cyberish way and improve on the 'legacy' table - something much more complex and different though - going by mem of what i've seen of 'legacy' in vids; never seen/played one rl)

That's a great idea about the original tron. I could picture it looking like Spirit from Gottlieb. I think during the quiz in podcast #3 Sean said if there was an Army of Darkness table, he'd buy it instantly. That table needs to happen! I imagine there'd be a boomstick on there somewhere, evil ash, a windmill. Someone make this table!

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, I just watched the trailer. For added insult, I then watched the original trailer. Here's the diff between the two: the original let's you know something is going on in the house, and then shows bright lights hitting people's faces as they look on in awe or terror. The new trailer shows you the clown attacking, kids flying around, tells you the house is built on a cemetery, shows the house starting to implode (or explode, hard to tell). So essentially the new trailer is pointing out that all your favorite bits are going to be in this new film.

This begs the question, if all you are doing is fan service, why wouldn't I just go back and watch the original? It has aged incredibly well (practical effects, thank you very much), and is still creepy as all get out.

I'll never understand it. Remake movies that weren't good but had the potential to be great, not great movies that have nothing wrong with them. If that is too much to ask for, how 'bout taking the premise and going in a completely different direction? I don't know how many of you saw the 80's version of The Blob compared to the 50's version, but THAT is how you do a remake!

Couldn't agree more. But, as Yoda said; 'there is another' A CGI version is by all accounts on its way. Maybe common sense will prevail and this doesn't see the light of day.....

CGI is clearly cheaper but to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park, just because they can, doesn't mean that they should.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
The problem with CGI is that our eyes become accustomed to the latest and greatest and then can spot all the flaws in older attempts. Practical effects? They were always 'real' to begin with, so even when fake looking, they age much better. Check this video out...

There is a companion vid of 10 worst CGI instances, but it's not nearly as fun to watch!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.