BlahCade Podcast #17 - Big Nuts

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Listened in to get at the Zsolt question sesh.
Awesome news about the editor possibility, although I'm hoping this doesn't mean 'Sin' might be about to resurface. :)

Strange coincidence - but if I could own any two tables in real life which were for keeps (not to trade) it would be a Black Knight and a Twilight Zone.
Black Knight for me, with a few operator tweaks is my favourite precision shooter table. If you tighten the drop target reset time, and change the setting where the horseshoe has to be looped to activate ball lock, it's just awesome. I could play it endlessly. Keep badgering FS to fix the meshing problems and emulate it with an operator menu, but 2yrs plus after promising it, we still wait.

Thanks for doing the interview again!

Totally about Black Knight. Shame it's never really got proper treatment in TPA as it's always been a classic among the pinhead community.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Awesome news about the editor possibility, although I'm hoping this doesn't mean 'Sin' might be about to resurface. :)
Hey! What's wrong with a little Sin every now and then?! :rolleyes:

More seriously, I don't have the free time anymore that it would take to bring Sin to life.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Listened in to get at the Zsolt question sesh.

Thanks for doing the interview again!

Thanks for listening in. I knew the draw of juicy Zacc answers would be hard to resist. 😀

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Every time I read the title of this podcast, the 15yo in me just ROFLMAO.

And forever it shall be known as Big Nuts.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Yeah :) I didn't know you were going to post them hard copy till I'd listened.
Thought you'd use it as a draw.

Nicely done interview though. Bonzo was awesome!
Probably around the end of this month for the hard copy.

Text works better than voice in Google (SEO aside).

I'd like ASK to benefit from that some how. 😉

Bonzo

May 16, 2012
I really felt a little bit of stage fright creeping up prior to the recording, heh. Glad you enjoyed it. :D

Crepello55012

Jan 21, 2015
Thanks for mentioning me and Footballbanana. He'll be pretty impressed when I tell him he's been on T'internet. I actually received the prize today as well. Never really played on the PC always on PS3 but I had the core game ToTAN and after a few messages with @JoeCool there it was today. The posh version. I played one game (The Addams Family) and got 142 million and did all the standard goals. I'll have to start playing on PC cos PS3 is just ....well I think they've given up with it. I'll have to find out how to nudge and all that though.
You are macca wrong about Big Shot though. It's the best game on TPA.
It was a right good laugh as we say in silly little England. Keep up the good work and me and Footballbanana will be playing on Saturday.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Just wanted to say thanks again for actually using my questions in the interview. my third one was a tough one to answer. So hopefully Zsolt doesn't hold that against me. Very good answer by the way. Hopefully people know my first one was just a joke. But I'm glad it was included. And then the second question, it's always interesting to know what tables in TPA people gravitate towards. So you can see why I was curious, especially a developer of another top pinball app. Overall really satisfied with this podcast. Wouldve like to hear my name in the top 10 for the TotM, but that's my own fault. Weird thing is, I played way better than the last one. People are really stepping it up I can tell. Representing the IOS club, woohoo. Yeah any talk about the tourneys is awesome. Got some insight about Jared's yelp, Big shot LITZ was awesome. As far as Karl sensing a lot of negativity towards FS, I can kind of see that. But the thing is, we're all still on their side. Otherwise we wouldn't be involved in tournaments (not thru FS). Glad SYT has some help now, but I was gonna say... Do you really think he'd bother with crunching those numbers if he didn't get some satisfaction out of TPA? I realise that the same issues get brought up, but I think it's for the better. If we don't keep bringing up these issues, they'll never get taken care of. It's still constructive criticism. I didn't pick up on the 'making fun of' part. I've listened 2 times and still was right on the same page. By the way Bonzo, halfway thru the questions I was thinking it was Zsolt. Well planned out interview guys

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Just wanted to say thanks again for actually using my questions in the interview. my third one was a tough one to answer. So hopefully Zsolt doesn't hold that against me. Very good answer by the way. Hopefully people know my first one was just a joke. But I'm glad it was included. And then the second question, it's always interesting to know what tables in TPA people gravitate towards. So you can see why I was curious, especially a developer of another top pinball app. Overall really satisfied with this podcast. Wouldve like to hear my name in the top 10 for the TotM, but that's my own fault. Weird thing is, I played way better than the last one. People are really stepping it up I can tell. Representing the IOS club, woohoo. Yeah any talk about the tourneys is awesome. Got some insight about Jared's yelp, Big shot LITZ was awesome. As far as Karl sensing a lot of negativity towards FS, I can kind of see that. But the thing is, we're all still on their side. Otherwise we wouldn't be involved in tournaments (not thru FS). Glad SYT has some help now, but I was gonna say... Do you really think he'd bother with crunching those numbers if he didn't get some satisfaction out of TPA? I realise that the same issues get brought up, but I think it's for the better. If we don't keep bringing up these issues, they'll never get taken care of. It's still constructive criticism. I didn't pick up on the 'making fun of' part. I've listened 2 times and still was right on the same page. By the way Bonzo, halfway thru the questions I was thinking it was Zsolt. Well planned out interview guys
Really appreciate your feedback, Extork. That interview really did come off well in the end.

It was only successful and interesting because of the questions the community asked. So thanks to everyone who participated.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Really appreciate your feedback, Extork. That interview really did come off well in the end.

It was only successful and interesting because of the questions the community asked. So thanks to everyone who participated.

Feedback is what it's all about. That 'favorite beer' question had me chuckling. If anything, it should make them more productive. I play pinball better when I've had 7 or 9.

Also should point out, the creator ability has me all excited. It doesn't NOT make sense. The technology is there. For seriously, any game that has allowed me to build my own level has taken up my time like none other. I'd drop some cash for that. Can you imagine customizable art? Time to give Dedpop a ring

superdan

Jan 30, 2015
Hey,
-I enjoyed big nuts in it's parody humor sort of way, and although perhaps not the typical podcast Blahcade puts out, imo, it was different and humorous, and I dig that.
-I will say I like the game Big Shot, I respect those who don't. I thought Big Nuts was certainly humor-centered... and certainly was a parody of 'lost in the zone,' perhaps with some satire mixed in. But humor can be subjective and some will get it, some won't. I thought it was funny and 'got' the humor. But I'd say the interview was just as funny, not satire, but with Bonzo the perfect accent to do it.
-It will be pure coincidence that my upcoming podcast will have the game Big Shot...not as humorous, but the top 10 list will be, yap, pure satire humor.
-I heard alot of background talk, perhaps children playing?
-Farsight is great, has great games for sure. But they can do and be better. I'm glad of the criticism and hope for more of it. Only way they will get better. I think if Zacc or Pro Pinball or whoever come up with a multi-player pinball game, farsight is really going to have to do some soul searching. As was pointed out by the forums and BlahCade, they are lagging behind in physics and other items and the excuse of not doing updates to support older platforms is almost as humorous as Bonzo's interview...I said almost ;)
-Thanks for mentioning me at #9 for the two and out. After finally figuring out the nudging on my I-phone/I-pad, my scores have gone up and up. So watch out.
-Looking forward to the next podcast. Cheers.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
As far as Karl sensing a lot of negativity towards FS, I can kind of see that. But the thing is, we're all still on their side. Otherwise we wouldn't be involved in tournaments (not thru FS). Glad SYT has some help now, but I was gonna say... Do you really think he'd bother with crunching those numbers if he didn't get some satisfaction out of TPA? I realise that the same issues get brought up, but I think it's for the better. If we don't keep bringing up these issues, they'll never get taken care of. It's still constructive criticism. I didn't pick up on the 'making fun of' part. I've listened 2 times and still was right on the same page. By the way Bonzo, halfway thru the questions I was thinking it was Zsolt.

You ain't kidding about the TotM / TotW as evidence of how much I still like TPA. I found myself not playing as much, ignoring the newer season tables, and that bothered me because I still very much liked the game. Shoot, it's still the only vid pin I play (sorry Zacc!). I realized what I was missing was the social aspect. Turns out a lot of you were too! My criticisms for FarSight are entirely born out of my wanting it to be the best it can be. I don't want them to ever give up trying. Flip side is, I need to never stop trying being enthusiastic about playing it.

And yeah, freakin' Bonzo IS the voice of Zsolt now! Any post I read, that is what is in my head. I kept having to remind myself he couldn't do follow up answers since it wasn't really Zsolt.

I'm glad you guys found my LitZ funny. Too bad Sean didn't. My hate towards Big Shot was an exaggeration (as was that whole segment), but I do find that table is not the finest example of fun that can be had on an EM.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I love Big Shot. It's the quintessence of pinball.

I've been playing a lot of Big Shot lately. To my mind, it's the perfect trainer table. Clearly-defined goals, "standard" layout, and great for learning to shoot accurately and nudge in a timely fashion.

Just wish there was better analog flipper control so you actually make the 8-Ball saucer shot.

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
Listened to the pod cast today :) great job all 3 of you.

The interview was done very well, thank you for mentioning names of question askers. That also probably makes it easier to ask the tough ones when you can blame someone else :p I am excited to see how the editor works out! Making a playfield is one challenge, it will be interesting to see how rules and scoring can be implemented when creating an original pinball.

On the subject of Granada, Top Hand, and Tropical from what I understand none of these are identical to the Williams of the same name. They have similar art, unique playfields, I hope they find out these can be done. Heck many of the EMs we have got and will get use Williams parts.

I found the breakdown of Big Shot funny as a fan of that table. It looks and sounds so simple, until it eats your soul going for the 250k wizard goal :p

I found the constructive criticism of Farsight to be spot on.

Thank you SYT, Jared, and Bonzo!

An extra thank you to Zsolt for answering our interview questions. We really appreciate you accepting our feedback and the great work you and your team do. If we are at the same pinball convention ever I will gladly buy the ASK team a round of beers for their efforts. Cant wait to play Zaccaria on PC!

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I've been playing a lot of Big Shot lately. To my mind, it's the perfect trainer table. Clearly-defined goals, "standard" layout, and great for learning to shoot accurately and nudge in a timely fashion.

Just wish there was better analog flipper control so you actually make the 8-Ball saucer shot.
I really wish FarSight would revisit flipper strength on all games. After playing a Trident for a bit last Monday it is evident to me that:

EM != Early SS

and

Early SS != DMD

when it comes to flipper strength.

At the moment, FarSight has the "Whoa Nellie EM" feel. Or, if you want to put it another way: Solid State strength in an Electro-mechanical Body for their EMs like Big Shot and Central Park.

There is also no EM hummmmmmmmm when you hold that flipper down.

I think the BlahCade team did suggest (OK, rant a bit) about this in one of our recent episodes. Dial that strength back of the flippers.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I've been getting some feedback outside of this thread that listeners want to hear more Tech Talk from me.

In past episodes I've touched on some technical aspects on Android, but I've always been mindful that not all listeners will be playing Android versions of TPA and may also not really care about the nuts and bolts of how some of the tech stuff works.

What do folks think about me discussing more tech stuff relating to Android TPA, or stuff that FarSight has publicly released and providing some non-NDA sanctioned info about what was involved.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts