BlahCade Podcast #7 - Norm!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Big treat for everyone in this edition of the Barcade. Norman Stepansky, audio director and producer at FarSight, sits down and discusses buying tables, audio quirks, Pinball After Dark, and more. Also Jared has tales of San Francisco, and Bonzo files a new Germany report, that somehow lasts longer than 10 seconds.

Next time will bring a super sized Lost in the Zone, so the more questions we have from you guys, the better. Post them in this thread here.

That's next time though! So get to downloading the current shiny brand new hot off the presses Barcade Podcast...

You can find the download for the podcast here.

If you would like the RSS feed, find it here.

Lastly, for all the Apple junkies, the iTunes version can be found here.

Enjoy the show, spread the word, force your friends to listen. And as usual, feedback and discussion is always welcome.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Thanks for asking him about the PS4 sound issue!

I wonder if something like being able to lose points you've accumulated in a one-arm-jack-style gambling video mode on Jack*Bot would have qualified as what he was referring to as "real gambling."

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I'm listening back to myself on the podcast. Kinda weird. Anyhow, I picked up that Norman and the art team had to do a lot of playfield touchup on High Speed because the playfield was not in good visual condition. I would personally *Love* to see the before and after shots of the playfields they have vs the end result in TPA.

I wonder if that would be something FarSight could do on their Facebook page? Or, y'know, HERE!

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Also, I have to say that Jeff is legend--wait for it--dary for putting in the musical effects into this episode. My honest opinion is that they add a level of professionalism to the podcast.

It only took us six episodes... :p

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Yeah, I noticed that big time. Very nice production values. Makes you guys sound like you know what you're doing.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Great job to all those involved on ep. 7. Glad to hear the PS4 audio issue being addressed but with the possibility of it coming with season 2, I wonder if it's going to be a while?

Seems like the biggest issue with Pinball After Dark is securing the necessary licenses for the tables they want to recreate. Other than BBB, all that were mentioned have one. I still don't quite get the desire for BBB other than it's rare. But, hey, that's me.

While you guys discussed hardware limitations with the newer pinball MPU's, Capcom's wasn't specifically mentioned. Meaning, is it too hardware intensive for some of the mobile devices and, for that matter, the current TPA engine? If so, than a totally new game engine would obviously be needed. But to spend the resources on emulating Capcom's board just for one game? Hopefully, they'd do Kingpin as well. The rest of Capcom's limited line up wouldn't even seem to fit into Pinball After Dark's theme.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Here's why I like BBB...

- It is genuinely amusing. Every bit as funny as MM.
- It has a ton of modes to activate.
- Not an amazing layout, but no slouch either.
- And yes, because there are so few of these and you will NEVER see one outside of a collector's home.

One of the guys in my pinball league has one, and I can't help but play it each time we have an event at his house. It's fun, fast, has wonderful artwork, and would be a great addition to TPA.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Great job to all those involved on ep. 7. Glad to hear the PS4 audio issue being addressed but with the possibility of it coming with season 2, I wonder if it's going to be a while?

Seems like the biggest issue with Pinball After Dark is securing the necessary licenses for the tables they want to recreate. Other than BBB, all that were mentioned have one. I still don't quite get the desire for BBB other than it's rare. But, hey, that's me.

While you guys discussed hardware limitations with the newer pinball MPU's, Capcom's wasn't specifically mentioned. Meaning, is it too hardware intensive for some of the mobile devices and, for that matter, the current TPA engine? If so, than a totally new game engine would obviously be needed. But to spend the resources on emulating Capcom's board just for one game? Hopefully, they'd do Kingpin as well. The rest of Capcom's limited line up wouldn't even seem to fit into Pinball After Dark's theme.

Thanks for the feedback dtown!

The licences are always the sticking point for TPA unfortunately.

Regarding Capcom Pin, I think the games you mentioned would be candidates for After Dark.

However if you look at the other games released, perhaps Flipper Football (with the foul mouthed ref) could be included.

I've played a Flipper Football, and man, that ref would make a sailor blush.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Fantastic episode, very well done! Very good production with the music and voice bits, I really enjoyed that.

The sound talk was very interesting, I especially liked the bit about the pitch samples on Centaur - I really appreciate the attention to detail, I guess most people wouldn´t even have noticed if they went for a much simpler route that didn´t include all possible pitches.

On a more personal note, I think it´s great that Norman stood up for Harley. I genuinely like the table, it´s dumb, tacky and easy, but I love playing it once in a while, I don´t think it deserves the contempt it receives.

Very professionally done podcast, no talking over each other, no crappy microphones (at least to my ears), and great timing - wasn´t bored for even a moment!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.