Bobby King on the Perceptive Podcast (7/26/2013)

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
In this month's newsletter in the latest interviews and podcasts section they mentioned a podcast that came out Today: Perceptive Podcast: The Future of The Pinball Arcade:

http://game-wisdom.com/podcast/the-pinball-arcade

It's with Bobby King, as usual, and covers a lot of the standard fare, but there is a good segment on licensing that gets into the whole process in pretty good detail. Some tidbits from what I can remember:

- Bobby is still negotiating for Addams Family (as we know) but he thinks he'll have a good indication of how much everything will cost within the next few weeks.
- Addams Family licenses include the movie rights, an 'Addams Family Foundation', and 9 actors.
- The standard license window is three years. After that they would have to get an extension or stop selling the licensed table.
- The Terminator 2 license timeframe was determined by a movie studio that is associated with the rights. They were told that they would only have a 2-year window for the T2 rights so they wanted to get them and get the table out ASAP. As a result they started work on the table early in hopes that the Kickstarter would be successful. It will be out 'sooner than you would think'.
- He confirmed that getting the licenses that they've already gotten has definitely opened doors. There are licenses that they think they can get now where before licensees wouldn't even give them the time of day.
- He was asked if he could do one licensed table, what would it be. He said POTC and said that he hasn't made any progress with Disney, but said that won't stop him from continuing to try.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I always love the questions that are vague enough that bobby answers them but doesn't address the question itself but provides some never before heard tidbit.

Lucipher28

Banned
Jul 16, 2013
My question is:

If the goal of the company is to preserve these tables, why not release a physical copy of these games, when (As talked about in the podcast) in whatever amount of years has past on the lease agreements, you can no longer sell such and suck table?

I'm just curious. I mean, once the agreement is up, you can't sell that table anymore. So how can that table be preserved?

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
My question is:

If the goal of the company is to preserve these tables, why not release a physical copy of these games, when (As talked about in the podcast) in whatever amount of years has past on the lease agreements, you can no longer sell such and suck table?

I'm just curious. I mean, once the agreement is up, you can't sell that table anymore. So how can that table be preserved?

Well, once something is digitized it does last forever, as long as it is sufficiently backed up. ;)

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
My question is:

Physical copy? We've moved to a digital world! I haven't touched a disc in at least three years now.

I'm assuming you're referring to PS3 because I saw you post PS3 questions before. If I wanted a physical copy for my iPad it would be impossible. Is there no way to make a backup of "download only" PS3 games?

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Physical copy? We've moved to a digital world!
Oh yeah and in a digital world we have digital media, like the cd rom, the dvd, the blu-ray disc .... but I know that FS can't offer us discs without a publisher.

Last edited:

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Oh yeah and in a digital world we have digital media, like the cd rom, the dvd, the blu-ray disc .... but I know that FS can't offer us discs without a publisher.

When I used the term Physical copy I was referring to cd rom, dvd, blu-ray etc. Most people think of digital copies as files stored on flash or hard drives, not discs.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Physical copy? We've moved to a digital world!

So, you mean "Physical copy? We've moved to digital copies!"

Steam gives you the option to backup games .... but I haven't tried it yet.

Last edited:

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
T2 in August and all I can say about that is "wow".

I remember the wait for Twilight Zone and Star Trek seemed like forever. This is very good news.

If they can get Addams Family in by years end I may have multiple pingasms.

Lucipher28

Banned
Jul 16, 2013
When I used the term Physical copy I was referring to cd rom, dvd, blu-ray etc. Most people think of digital copies as files stored on flash or hard drives, not discs.

I don't think you can do that with downloadable content? I have no idea.

I'm just wondering how we'll be able to enjoy these if TPA ever just stopped or went backrupt, or something like the network shutting down... things like that.

Again, if the whole point is preserve these tables for generations to play them (Which is pretty much what was said in the testimonial), then what is the company doing to make sure of that? I wish they were able to put out a physical copy, that would end all the fear. Heck, I still have my Atari 2600 games from when I was a kid. I'd hate to think of not being able to play certain games because a physical copy was not an option.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
When a "premium" table is no longer available for purchase, you still should be able to download it, if you bought it prior.
But, yeah, if Farsight really wants to "preserve these tables for generations to come", then we should get a physical copy somehow.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
When a "premium" table is no longer available for purchase, you still should be able to download it, if you bought it prior.
But, yeah, if Farsight really wants to "preserve these tables for generations to come", then we should get a physical copy somehow.

It's not possible to do that in the iOS world. I believe that this is the future of gaming, like it or not.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts