Bride 2.0 ready

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
Yeah, I hope they have thoughts about Rudy... He'll deserves such a treatment too. Maybe I should volunteer for the animation :)

Paying 1300 for a 800 euro machine is quite a huge pile of money, but I just wanted to have it... Pinhead... Moron... Whatever :)

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
yeah its a bit pricey for the machine it goes in but think of it as your adding that much value and maybe there will be future features added plus the ability to make your own. Its COOL :) Yeah so many classics could and should get this treatment but you see how long it took for 1 game. I wonder why they picked Bride.

shimoda

Mar 14, 2013
They said a big part of picking bride was that it had almost everything-fantastic art, sounds, lightshow, fast gameplay. The rules were lacking, however and scoring was way imbalanced. I just sold mine for less than I wanted but I didn't lose money. I think someone got a good deal though.

If I found one down the road I'd consider it if the pf and ramps were good. I sold mine with many new parts (ramps, helmet). I just want some other machines for now. Maybe she will be back. Part if the problem for me was that I have a Proc already and really the speaker panel and DMD would be the hardware I would need. If I could just buy the software I think I might have held out.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
My daughter loves the original table and saw the 2.0 at the pinball expo this past weekend. She played it a few times and thought it was great. The second time she played she had an awesome game for her and the woman at the booth said "nice game" when she was done which made her feel good!

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
I wonder why they picked Bride.

The rules of the original Bride are terrible. But it's a fun table, so fixing that one up is a great choice. Another obvious one would be Terminator 2 IMO. So many great shots on that table, and only one of them really matters.

What other tables have a missed potential that could be fixed with a 2.0 software upgrade (+ possible DMD)?

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
system 11 games, they dont have deep rules but are still fun to play. with deeper rules and some DMD animations theyd be that much better.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
right I was saying that they could benefit from a DMD and rules updrade. Funhouse 2.0 would be cool more Rudy lines :)

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Man, just the other day I was playing Bride, such a shame the original rules are so lame... because I love everything else about it.

I wish this would come to TPA one day!

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
right I was saying that they could benefit from a DMD and rules updrade. Funhouse 2.0 would be cool more Rudy lines :)
Funhouse, however, is already a great game, with a great ruleset, and I don't think it would benefit much from an upgrade as Bride would, with its original rules making the game only about a single shot and some random luck.
Which is also my issue with T2. There is a lot of potential in that game, but if you care about score, all it comes down to is hitting the skull and aiming the cannon (which IMO should be a gimmick, rather than the most important shot in the game)

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I think Bride 1.0 is actually a WPC...

Yes, and so is the alphanumeric Funhouse as well. Many forget that because they don't have DMD's.

On the subject of BoP 2.0, I just watched the newest October Video. I thought the some of the music was good and the DMD animations were very well done. Having actual modes is a great addition. However, Python's original idea of a female robot coming to life and then turning into a real woman is completely gone. There's nothing I saw in that video that represents that original concept of the game. It's just a generic space theme about the operations of a shuttle. It's like Dutch Pinball just took the idea for the left "shuttle ramp" and made a whole game around it. I mean, did they not see the GIANT ROBOT WOMAN that takes up most of the playfield? I can't imagine Python would like this. I know that BoP is weak on strategy but couldn't they have expanded on the original idea without compromising it? Honestly, the biggest crime is that there was nothing shown that beats the original's Metamorphosis shut down light show. But, then again, what's the point of the robot head anymore???? They might as well just rip it off and put a space shuttle there!!!! Oh, wait, no, that's Space Shuttle and it already exists!!! Whew! Gotta calm down. Gonna log off now.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Yes, and so is the alphanumeric Funhouse as well. Many forget that because they don't have DMD's.

On the subject of BoP 2.0, I just watched the newest October Video. I thought the some of the music was good and the DMD animations were very well done. Having actual modes is a great addition. However, Python's original idea of a female robot coming to life and then turning into a real woman is completely gone. There's nothing I saw in that video that represents that original concept of the game. It's just a generic space theme about the operations of a shuttle. It's like Dutch Pinball just took the idea for the left "shuttle ramp" and made a whole game around it. I mean, did they not see the GIANT ROBOT WOMAN that takes up most of the playfield? I can't imagine Python would like this. I know that BoP is weak on strategy but couldn't they have expanded on the original idea without compromising it? Honestly, the biggest crime is that there was nothing shown that beats the original's Metamorphosis shut down light show. But, then again, what's the point of the robot head anymore???? They might as well just rip it off and put a space shuttle there!!!! Oh, wait, no, that's Space Shuttle and it already exists!!! Whew! Gotta calm down. Gonna log off now.

Does sound like they've ruined the theme if what you're saying is true. There was something very cool yet unnerving about the bride slowly being built and finally turning human. To get rid of that would mean it isn't Bride anymore.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I looked into the story of this game a little more and found this post from Steve Bowden (an excellent pinball player) who posted it on papa.org.

"You are a team of astronauts whose job it is to get in a space shuttle and fly to another planet. When you get there your task is to construct a giant, female-like, chrome robot the size of several buildings, and then make this robot human by bringing it to life. Mind you, the team has already attempted a male-like version of this project previously."

The video I watched didn't show any of this building of the female robot so, maybe, that's sort of towards the wizard mode? Nonetheless, it's just kinda weird. The original game (which you still can play with this 2.0 upgrade) was pretty much Bride of Frankenstein mixed with some Pinocchio. It made sense. This new story? Why are you building a giant building size female robot? I'd actually like to see what the original game looks like with the DMD. Did they do animations for it or does it just show a score and mimic the display like the old one?

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
They have a video on their website showing the selection old vs. new. The alphanumeric display is emulated with the DMD. Just like in pinmame running a pinDMD. Looks good.

I think they wanted to show a stable version of the software at pinball expo, using the prototype of the upgrade kit (without the use of an additional laptop sitting next to the machine).

My guess is, that Dutch pinball will add something like metamorphosis to the software before delivery.
I miss the use of Pinbot bagatelle playfield too. I love the exit from there feeding the right return ramp...

Anyway, still 4 months time to develop the missing features/story ;)

Last edited:

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
Here is what they posted on Facebook, answering my very question:

1) of course the metamorphosis will return! It's much deeper in the game than in the original though (after completing 3rd multiball), it's sort of like the wizard mode of the story line. We will try hard to do the original justice here.
2) The shuttle animations are the multiball 1 stage - but we agree there need to be a bit more story hooks in there (Pin*Bot bossing you around). In multiball 2 you will be building the Bride so that (and the big wheel modes & later multiballs) is where you'll see more of the Bride.
3) Pin*Bot's bagatelle playfield is where you spell P-I-N-B-O-T. Completing his name will start Pin*Bot multiball (this was disabled in the Expo 2013 software because we are still working on its assets).

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
I think it's great to put the metamorphosis as a deeper goal, rather than something that's achieved after a couple of shots, and then repeated 10 times thereafter. Sorry, I don't think the original "does the theme justice" either. :)

Members online

Members online