BSD Frustration...

The Digital Man

Nov 21, 2014
I vividly remember my friends and I dumping a ton of quarters in this machine at my local 7-11 store in the 90's.

It was easily in my TPA top 5 for nostalgia alone.

However, I do NOT remember it being the ridiculous drain monster that is this incarnation.

I play BSD now with nearly the same levels of anger and hatred that I do when playing "Co1812".

I'm going to need a medication adjustment at this rate... or something...

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
There's a reason BSD was referred to as Dr*c*l* (or sometimes "Drainula") on rec.games.pinball back in the '90s. It was a notorious Drain Monster back then, as much as it is now.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Yeah, it seems FS has noticeably made TPA harder (a good part of season3 tables are drain monsters, imo).

I'm OK with that and glad FS finally did it by listening the community:

- When I launch a game, I'm happy to know that won't be a marathon.
- When I finally succeed to put a great score, I'm kind of proud. Not because I grinded points doing the same thing over and over (who said FH, ScS, TZ, CFTBL, T2?), but just because I mastered and tamed the table, and I wasn't owned by it. :cool:
- Some games last for 2 minutes or even less. Like IRL.

Last edited:

The Digital Man

Nov 21, 2014
- When I finally succeed to put a great score, I'm kind of proud. Not because I grinded points doing the same thing over and over (who said FH, ScS, TZ, CFTBL, T2?), but just because I mastered and tamed the table, and I wasn't owned by it. :cool:

I see and agree with your point(s) Tann, However, I feel like a blundering novice... seriously... And I'm not....

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
However, I feel like a blundering novice... seriously... And I'm not....

Oh yeah, I feel the same... a lot of times! ^^

I just ask myself: "Am I so weak or the game rip me off?"

What I do: I switch off the console and go do something else. XD

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I just ask myself: "Am I so weak or the game rip me off?"

You get that in the real thing. Except in TPA you paid 20 quarters for unlimited play. Instead of 20 quarters for, what, 10 games?

I mean, back when tables were all over, there were some I could put my money in and play for an hour or more on one or two credits.
I'd play the same table in the same place the next day and pay five times as much to play 15 minutes!

IGoFirstIndy

Jul 12, 2014
It is a vexing table and i mean that in the best possible way. you can have an amazing game that makes all the suffering worth it, but to get to that game takes skill AND LUCK. but to me there is nothing like stacking all the multiballs. Like LCA it has some really unforgiving shots. the difference to me is BSD has an amazing flow while still being incredibly brutal. Though not my favorite, to me it's the best table in TPA.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
You get that in the real thing. Except in TPA you paid 20 quarters for unlimited play. Instead of 20 quarters for, what, 10 games?

I mean, back when tables were all over, there were some I could put my money in and play for an hour or more on one or two credits.
I'd play the same table in the same place the next day and pay five times as much to play 15 minutes!

IRL, back in the late 90's, I knew the answer: I was weak. :p (most of the time, I watched my father play, as he could stand a lot more longer than me with one credit).

But in front of a videogame, where everything is a LOT more predictable, I don't feel the same. Suddenly, after a common shot, the ball takes a weird horizontal path and goes straight to an outlane. WTF is happened? o_O The game just pwned me, right?

The worst is when you shake the table as hell, and no way, it's like the game has decided to throw the ball in the outlane. lol Although you know that this ball path lead to an instant drain, and nudge early to prevent it. DRAIN. PERIOD. :mad:

but I like that, that's part of the fun.:eek:

The Night Flier

Jun 10, 2014
I love BSD, it easily is one of most favourite TPA tables and i welcome how challenging it is.I'd much rather have a table that is too difficult than not difficult enough.Feels more realistic to me.

condition red

Sep 18, 2014
Yeah, it seems FS has noticeably made TPA harder (a good part of season3 tables are drain monsters, imo).

I'm OK with that and glad FS finally did it by listening the community:

+1 :)

I like when the table wins. Difficult is better.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
What I don't like about BSD is that there isn't really any progression. Your aim is to get all three multiballs going at once, otherwise you're earning chump change. But there's no sense of working through a set of goals to achieve the ultimate mode, you just need good coordination between the relevant shots. So you can have a decent length game where nothing happens, or a short game where you get a massive score. Very luck-based, like everyone is saying. Great when you get it going, but otherwise just too frustrating.

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
I find it more frustrating when you have to progress through the game and the table decides to throw cheap drains at you during that course. Luck based drain monsters like this one are easier to bear and the high difficulty can be very appealing.

Stephen Snow

FarSight Employee
Oct 11, 2012
Having the table here to play in person, I can tell you that it most certainly is one of our meaner tables in real life... many times in the wild when you find a table that seems to play a bit easier, it's because the angle of the table is a slightly adjusted to be a little more floaty.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.