Building A Virtual Pinball Cabinet

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Cheers guys...with 2 votes for winrar I'll get that one. Hopefully get chance to try it later tonight. I'm pretty sure I used the new settings Ini file when I redownloaded the mod...but I'm gonna try again later using this zipper to the PC and will make sure I use only the new downloaded files and see where that takes me. Thanks again.

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Currently attempting to set up my first camera using the mod...not an easy thing by all means :) but getting there.

Can anyone confirm, just in case I'm doing something wrong (with reference to Last Action Hero):

1. Is this table quite a poorly lit table...(seems a little dull)
2. Is the sound quality not that great (seems muffled)
3. Is the table supposed to 'shake'? Not sure if it's something I've done or not :)

Cheers.

Dabby

May 19, 2016
First off, L33, beautiful build. Love the care you've put into this. And this thread has turned into a very nice Q&A resource. I hope I don't derail it too much here.

I'm curious if you wouldn't mind providing a list of what your final/current PC build ended up being. Having what I'd consider intermediate woodworking skills, a few bigger projects under my belt, and decent tools/shop setup I'm not overly concerned about building the cab. However, I'm pretty much square one in the electronics department. I have an off the shelf Dell from (guessing) at least five years ago that runs Zen mostly fine (a hair or two slow) and TPA a few shades worse (balls rolls pretty slow). I haven't attempted to install Visual Pinball or Future Pin on it to see what happens. I'm also not sure if hooking up to the buttons and all that is a bigger demand than a keyboard. I'm assuming at the least I'll need a new graphics card.

Initially, I'm a little more interested in building a Zen machine that's not set up to run something like VP as it seems like a cheaper route but I'm curious to know how much you spent (and on what hopefully) on your rig. Ideally I'd prefer something that can play real life recreations but if there is potentially a big difference between something that can just run Zen (possibly even maybe just using my current comp) vs. dropping gaming PC money for VP I'll probably just settle for Zen for now as I live in a city with quite a few real pinball machines available.

I'd love to see a final pc build if you don't mind but also knowing about how much you spent on just the pc could be a good starting point.

Thanks!

L33

Aug 20, 2014
First off, L33, beautiful build. Love the care you've put into this. And this thread has turned into a very nice Q&A resource. I hope I don't derail it too much here.

I'm curious if you wouldn't mind providing a list of what your final/current PC build ended up being. Having what I'd consider intermediate woodworking skills, a few bigger projects under my belt, and decent tools/shop setup I'm not overly concerned about building the cab. However, I'm pretty much square one in the electronics department. I have an off the shelf Dell from (guessing) at least five years ago that runs Zen mostly fine (a hair or two slow) and TPA a few shades worse (balls rolls pretty slow). I haven't attempted to install Visual Pinball or Future Pin on it to see what happens. I'm also not sure if hooking up to the buttons and all that is a bigger demand than a keyboard. I'm assuming at the least I'll need a new graphics card.

Initially, I'm a little more interested in building a Zen machine that's not set up to run something like VP as it seems like a cheaper route but I'm curious to know how much you spent (and on what hopefully) on your rig. Ideally I'd prefer something that can play real life recreations but if there is potentially a big difference between something that can just run Zen (possibly even maybe just using my current comp) vs. dropping gaming PC money for VP I'll probably just settle for Zen for now as I live in a city with quite a few real pinball machines available.

I'd love to see a final pc build if you don't mind but also knowing about how much you spent on just the pc could be a good starting point.

Thanks!

Hi Dabby...

I actually can't remember how much the PC was but it's mid range spec I think...computers aren't my strong point. I took recommendations from this forum and also from a couple of guys in the know...and then basically went to the local computer shop and told them what I wanted the computer to run.

The shop then put together a computer with all the bits I needed. From what I can remember, it's an i5 which has been overclocked running Windows 10. Graphics card is a gtx 970 which was recommended as it would be able to handle the graphics no problem, but more importantly, it can run 3 separate monitors with no issues, on the single card. Can't remember the ram size, but it is relative to the i5 and graphics card spec...there's definitely plenty of it. But then again...can you ever have enough :)

All the buttons connect up using an iPac and there's no lag or losses of any kind connecting buttons or anything. In fact, I actually have 2 keyboards and 2 mice connected and there's no issues at all. Plunger is USB connected, iPac is USB connected.

Performance wise...no major issues. But every now and then I experience a stutter or two, mainly playing Zen. Nothing I worry about, only lasts a second or so every now and then, but I think it's the software, not my computer as I have heard others with similar issues and higher spec computers than mine. Not sure if you've seen some of the gaming videos I've posted on YouTube, but that'd give you some idea of the gaming quality. If you haven't seen them, let me know and I'll post a link.

TPA plays fine...no issues running the Noex mod. Plays fine, even when there are tables with 6+ multiballs. But the odd table like CV plays slowish...but I think that's the same for most. The newer released tables all play well.

I haven't yet tried VP...I'd love too but, 1. I'm not sure if I have the skills to set it all up, 2. Not sure if it works on Windows 10 and 3. I don't know the legality issues surrounding these games. Some people say they aren't legal to play and others say it's ok as long as it's personal use only. I'd love to know cause there are some tables on there I'd love to play.

I wanted to keep my build simple so it's more or less plug and play in the fact that I could basically get a computer, connect up a few cables, download software and I'm ready to go. Some people have built these cabs with all the extra bells and whistles, Ie, flashing lights, LEDs, shaker motor (I think they are called) etc. If there's ever a time where all these extra bits could be hooked up with ease, I'd like to think that my comp is capable of handling those extra bits...but I guess only time will tell :)

If I've missed anything, let me know and I'll try and fill in the gaps :) The reason I've never posted a video on my YouTube channel regarding the computer side of things is because I'm not 100% sure what I'm talking about when it comes to computers but I guess if I swotted up a bit I could give it a go.

One thing I've learnt though, is that you sort of get what you pay for with computers...if you have or buy a cheap spec computer, there's a chance that there will be performance issues and that the software will soon be too much for the computer to handle in a relatively short space of time. Spending more on a better spec seems to be a way of guaranteeing less issues and increasing the usable life of the computer if gaming is its main function. For a while I was running TPA and zen on a few years old laptop...Zen ran ok, but TPA was unplayable at times. Plus multi monitor wasn't possible. As much as I didn't want to spend money on a new computer, doing so meant the difference between playing the game properly and not playing the game at all.

Dabby

May 19, 2016
Great information. Your time is much appreciated. That's round about what I figured the answer was: get what you pay for. I may end up throwing some specs together and posting them to r/buildapc and see what they say. Considering my off the shelf comp from probably like 7 or so years ago runs Zen pretty well I'm thinking I won't have to drop a ton to upgrade it. I think I may end up building the cab and throwing the paperweight in it as a test run of sorts but make it accessible so I can swap it out down the line. I forget if it was this thread or elsewhere but I liked the tip about getting the cab built and playing with the comp specs and other bells and whistles later since there's basically infinite upgrades that can go into that stuff. My upfront concern is dropping gaming pc money on something that's only going to run pinball. Or more specifically, potentially something that only runs Zen.

Let me ask something else I've had a little trouble narrowing down. What are the specs for the three screens you used (play field, back glass, dmd)? I also saw saw you took this from (was it) a real life Funhouse cab? Would you mind sharing the cab dimensions? Or do you have available a blueprint of any sort?

I hate to make it seem like stealing all your work haha but your cab is basically what I've been dreaming about. For as relatively popular as it seems this hobby is it's odd that there's so little around regarding specific designs.

Last edited:

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Great information. Your time is much appreciated. That's round about what I figured the answer was: get what you pay for. I may end up throwing some specs together and posting them to r/buildapc and see what they say. Considering my off the shelf comp from probably like 7 or so years ago runs Zen pretty well I'm thinking I won't have to drop a ton to upgrade it. I think I may end up building the cab and throwing the paperweight in it as a test run of sorts but make it accessible so I can swap it out down the line. I forget if it was this thread or elsewhere but I liked the tip about getting the cab built and playing with the comp specs and other bells and whistles later since there's basically infinite upgrades that can go into that stuff. My upfront concern is dropping gaming pc money on something that's only going to run pinball. Or more specifically, potentially something that only runs Zen.

Let me ask something else I've had a little trouble narrowing down. What are the specs for the three screens you used (play field, back glass, dmd)? I also saw saw you took this from (was it) a real life Funhouse cab? Would you mind sharing the cab dimensions? Or do you have available a blueprint of any sort?

I hate to make it seem like stealing all your work haha but your cab is basically what I've been dreaming about. For as relatively popular as it seems this hobby is it's odd that there's so little around regarding specific designs.

You're right...there isn't much on this subject compared to many other types of projects...but there seems to be more info week by week...which tells me that virtual pinball, and pinball in general, is becoming more popular. And now the likes of Zen gives cab support, it makes it more worthwhile making a cabinet and hopefully one day, TPA will support this too. I believe they can only benefit from doing so. I put up this info and my videos so that it may help others who like myself, had, and still have, many questions regarding building a VP cab. Its great to know it helps, but I can't take all the credit as I got a lot of the info from forums like this...I know I couldn't have done it without their help.

I'm not sure what you mean by specs for the 3 screens, but if you let me know I'll try my best to answer.

Regarding the cab dimensions, I measured the funhouse table on a scrap piece of paper, and I think this can be seen on the first video...have you seen the videos? I may have also kept this somewhere...i can certainly have a look for it. I did make some alteration to the plans, but nothing too major.

Regarding the computer, you may find that your computer runs Zen fine. My laptop ran it and that wasn't powerful. But it wouldn't have run 3 screens though.

By all means, if you have any questions, I'll try to answer them. It may just help others who have similar questions, and if I can't answer them. I'm sure someone on here would know. :)

Dabby

May 19, 2016
You're right...there isn't much on this subject compared to many other types of projects...but there seems to be more info week by week...which tells me that virtual pinball, and pinball in general, is becoming more popular. And now the likes of Zen gives cab support, it makes it more worthwhile making a cabinet and hopefully one day, TPA will support this too. I believe they can only benefit from doing so. I put up this info and my videos so that it may help others who like myself, had, and still have, many questions regarding building a VP cab. Its great to know it helps, but I can't take all the credit as I got a lot of the info from forums like this...I know I couldn't have done it without their help.

I'm not sure what you mean by specs for the 3 screens, but if you let me know I'll try my best to answer.

Regarding the cab dimensions, I measured the funhouse table on a scrap piece of paper, and I think this can be seen on the first video...have you seen the videos? I may have also kept this somewhere...i can certainly have a look for it. I did make some alteration to the plans, but nothing too major.

Regarding the computer, you may find that your computer runs Zen fine. My laptop ran it and that wasn't powerful. But it wouldn't have run 3 screens though.

By all means, if you have any questions, I'll try to answer them. It may just help others who have similar questions, and if I can't answer them. I'm sure someone on here would know. :)

For the screens I just mean what brand/model/size are they. I'm trying to figure out about what I'll have to spend on the play field screen and what exactly to use for the dmd and backlash.

Thanks again for the wrath of information!

L33

Aug 20, 2014
For the screens I just mean what brand/model/size are they. I'm trying to figure out about what I'll have to spend on the play field screen and what exactly to use for the dmd and backlash.

Thanks again for the wrath of information!

I think the main playfield is a Sony Bravia tv 40". I went in store and saw this tv was being discontinued and was on offer so that was the reason for that tv. Always worth checking the back too as there where bits sticking out that caused a couple of issues.

Backglass I think was 29" and possibly LG but I'm not too sure. Nothing fancy though...but hd. Doesn't need to be smart tv etc...unless ur planning and watching TV etc on it.

The dmd tv was the tricky find for me. It had to be small and I struggled finding anything. Then my dad offered me and old lcd TVs so I ended up taking it apart ( as seen on the video ) and adapting it to fit.

I'm not sure if the spec of the playfield tv can make a difference to gameplay but perhaps someone on here may know more. :)

Markus

Apr 18, 2015
I am probably the slowest cab builder here, but after six months and now many plays on my 95% finished cab, I can say: It's worth the efford!
So if anyone is in doubt - continue building :)

L33

Aug 20, 2014
I am probably the slowest cab builder here, but after six months and now many plays on my 95% finished cab, I can say: It's worth the efford!
So if anyone is in doubt - continue building :)

My guess is that nobody's cabinet is ever 100% complete :)

I just wish that companies like FS would make things easier for cab owners and it's times like this that I have to give credit to companies like Zen who listen to their customers...see a need...then fill a need. I like TPA but whenever friends come round and see my cab, I load up Zen for them as it works effortlessly. Hoping the FS will one day follow suit.

On a completely different note though...I just downloaded a blast from the past...Pinball Dreams 'Nightmare' and I have to say...this would be great on a cabinet...if only. Im even tempted to see if its possible to build a REAL version. I don't have the necessary skills, but Im willing to learn how! :)

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
On a completely different note though...I just downloaded a blast from the past...Pinball Dreams 'Nightmare' and I have to say...this would be great on a cabinet...if only. Im even tempted to see if its possible to build a REAL version. I don't have the necessary skills, but Im willing to learn how! :)

If you want to see something great on a cabinet I would go for Pro Pinball Ultra which just got an official Steam release. It supports cabinet 2 and 3 screen with a real DMD support!

Video (not cab footage but it shows off the awesome lighting):
https://youtu.be/xM_BqWX7tCo

Last edited:

L33

Aug 20, 2014
If you want to see something great on a cabinet I would go for Pro Pinball Ultra which just got an official Steam release. It supports cabinet 2 and 3 screen with a real DMD support!

Video (not cab footage but it shows off the awesome lighting):
https://youtu.be/xM_BqWX7tCo

I think I may have to take a look. Does PPU work with a 3rd monitor or does it require a real dmd?

I purchased a Vishay dmd last year but never used it....mainly because I don't know how to wire it all up and get it working. But I'm tempted to try and work it out.

Only problem is...TPA doesn't work with a dmd does it? I seem to recall something had come out for zen allowing you to use a real dmd...not tried that yet, but don't seem to recall the use of a dmd for TPA.

Think I may have a look this weekend and see if I can get it working...and perhaps try the PPU and see how that looks.

It'd be so much easier making these decisions/changes if TPA/zen etc had real dmd options as standard. One day perhaps. :)

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Can I use something like this to built a cabinet? Is this a good price for an empty machine?

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s...ehaeuse-vp-virtual-pinball/494470236-168-4611

I don't have much experience on buying empty machines etc, so Im not clued up on whats a good price. I guess its a case of comparing it to other similar empty machines. But for me, it would first of all need to be a box shape that id be happy with and suits my needs...ie would it fit the size of screens etc id want to use. Then I guess it would come down to condition...it might be the right size and all, but if its falling apart or in need of some real attention it may be more hassle than its worth. On the flip side, if its in great condition then it could save an awful lot of time, effort and money in the long run.

One thing I've learnt is that there are numerous factors to take into consideration and ultimately it all comes down to personal preferences. Having seen quite a few cab setups now, everyone seems to be different and unique in their own way. :)

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Well...downloaded Pro Pinball yesterday but in doing so, TPA updated to the new UI. I'm a little shocked to be honest...I don't like it at all. It seems like it a massive step in the wrong direction. I'm not overly concerned that I had to use a mouse to navigate, but I couldn't even leave a game once it had started. Was really frustrating. The whole interface is just confusing, I don't like the music even though it's similar, the whole thing just looks really dull and on reading all the comments on here about the bugs, I just don't understand why FS would create more work for themselves at a time where workload has increased massively for them with the new Stern tables. To me it seems like a recipe for disaster. For the first time yesterday, playing the game wasn't fun :(

L33

Aug 20, 2014
With the new UI I'm finding that the buttons don't allow access to all functions as they used too...so I'm having to use a mouse instead to navigate. Not a major problem but a couple of issues I've found is that the mouse doesn't work well directly on the play field glass and whilst the solution to this is a mouse mat placed on top of the glass, that then means I can't always see what's going on...just wondered if anybody uses a different method or solutions? I'm looking at making some long overdue upgrades to the table and just wondering if there is a work around to the mouse issue...perhaps a track pad etc encorporated into the front/side etc?

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Hi, it is a real bummer that fs still throw that mess at us. Haven't touched the game since.
Instead of a mouse I use a "mini Bluetooth keyboard". Just Google it. There a a lot of different kinds around 20-30 bucks. Most of them have a track pad incorporated.

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Hi, it is a real bummer that fs still throw that mess at us. Haven't touched the game since.
Instead of a mouse I use a "mini Bluetooth keyboard". Just Google it. There a a lot of different kinds around 20-30 bucks. Most of them have a track pad incorporated.

I'll have to check that out. Originally I did buy a Bluetooth keyboard but it didn't have a numerical pad which is needed for the mod...so I then went out and bought a wired keyboard with a numerical pad...but the wire wasn't long enough to reach the front of the cab haha. At one point I had the 2 keyboards and a mouse...all balancing on the table. Nightmare. Perhaps a Bluetooth keyboard with a trackpad would be ideal.

You not been playing much TPA then because of the UI? I'm not the biggest fan of the new UI either...but as long as the game and mod still works I'll keep playing. Just wish TPA would follow in Zens footsteps with the CS...would make things so much better and much more enjoyable. Zens quality of graphics combined with TPA physics...now that would be good...that's how I'm hoping the new Stern tables will be like...fingers crossed :)

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Yeah, you can always hope ;)
The new UI was just the show stopper at the beginning, then I wasn't really interested in the season six tables so far. Just playing a lot of timeshock and VP lately.
As for the keyboard you can reassign the keys in the mods settings, so you don't necessarily need a numpad.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.