Can you set up Buy-In options on Pro mode tables?

Epsilon

Apr 19, 2012
I've been focusing mostly so far on establishing my high scores on factory settings, so I haven't really tooled around much with the Pro mode options yet. I know there are quite a few tables which can be set up to allow the option to "buy-in" extra balls, and was wondering if that functionality is available in TPA. If so, is there a different button to press to buy in, or does it just use the start button? Thanks.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Good question. I don't know if this would work as there isn't an actual button mapped to the machine's Start button. My best guess would be, if you can turn it on, the continue countdown would play but you can do nothing about it.

Anderz

Sep 17, 2014
The jackbot table uses the buy-in button when "cheating", so it is mapped on that table. (I've never seen a wpc table use the start button for buy in - only cancel it). If you've paid for accessing the settings, why not try it out?

Tarek Oberdieck

Jan 18, 2015
The jackbot table uses the buy-in button when "cheating", so it is mapped on that table. (I've never seen a wpc table use the start button for buy in - only cancel it). If you've paid for accessing the settings, why not try it out?

interesting theme, i´ve checked this out for jackbot and it works.

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
I understand the buy in concept from an operators business stand point - but just can't get behind it from a pinball purist perspective - it feels like cheating for people that can afford to extend the life of their game instead of starting over with 3 balls (like everyone else) I hope IRL the buy in scores have separate high scores or not counted. If they are rolled into the regular high scores I would be pissed...

Tarek Oberdieck

Jan 18, 2015
I understand the buy in concept from an operators business stand point - but just can't get behind it from a pinball purist perspective - it feels like cheating for people that can afford to extend the life of their game instead of starting over with 3 balls (like everyone else) I hope IRL the buy in scores have separate high scores or not counted. If they are rolled into the regular high scores I would be pissed...

Dont worry, IRL all buyin scores have separate high scores and for TPA any changes in the ROM settings should disable leaderboard counting.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
There was etiquette around rec.games.pinball back in the day that buying in for real money is frowned upon, but buying in with an earned credit on the machine is okay. Some extend this to buying in for money when you're just short of the replay score, since you'll then earn back that credit too. Feels reasonable to me and I mostly follow that.

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
I've bought quite a few times, but only when I had made some considerable progress on the table, like getting close to the Wizard Mode in Indiana Jones or TOM. But it was always better to start all over.

But I've got to agree, Pro needs to allow you to buy-in, for a more authentic experience. It's a regular feature of he tables, would be weird to leave that out.

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
It's a regular feature but it's operator controlled. In a coin op environment it makes a ton of sense; in a free play situation, not so much. In fact I think setting a table to free play defaults buy-ins to off.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Once again, Pro Pinball does this right for a simulation. It allows buy-ins, with a separate high score list. But you have to earn the credits in-game via replay or special.

Epsilon

Apr 19, 2012
Ha, I almost forgot I even posted this. Anyway, I probably will try it myself soon. Does anyone know off the top of their head what button would be mapped to the buy-in (as in the Jackbot example) on the 360 controller?

I mean, it's not a huge deal, but sometimes I get REALLY frustrated when I get super close to a Wizard mode on a lengthy game and would love in a non-competitive environment to just be able to "continue" in those cases. Pinball doesn't always have to be about pure competition.

Granted, usually you can adjust a bunch of settings and give yourself 10 balls a game anyway which should make any wizard mode pretty easily obtainable, but it would be nice to be able to mostly play it straight but give yourself that extra boost in certain times when you need it.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts