Cant Buy Pinball Arcade Because Steam Fails To Install

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
I was going to buy PA on PC but I can't get Steam to install on my computers...

It will download at an extremely slow speed and then it will just keep restarting back at 1%.

Ive tried almost everything include disabling firewalls, ect.... with no luck. Steam's support also fails to help me.

So Im thinking either my ISP limits Steam's speed... :mad: or else Steam's servers are always overloaded?

So, is there a manual download of Steam somewhere or will there be a non-Steam version of PA in the future?
Or else I will have to go without the PC version...

Last edited:

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
give more detail on your oc steup also can you download other games from steam?
Problem is Steam only has an online installer which has to download the latest Steam version, so I cant download the program files for some reason...

This brings up another question... Why the hell doesnt Steam have an offline installer?

You would think such a big company could make one.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Steam should never download slowly though... I believe their online installer points to whatever the "closest" server is and downloads from that. There may be a way to force the server to change.

But as far as them not having an offline installer, I guess it makes no sense to have one when there's likely going to be a big patch update when you get it anyway. Maybe there's a really old offline installer you can get which will update to the latest one a bit easier?

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
I wonder if copying a friends Steam's program files from C:\Program Files\Steam to my PC would work...

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
That might work but there are likely registry keys that are put in place by the setup program that will still need to be run by the installer. It looks like you have this installer though and it's the update you're having trouble with. If you are running an anti virus program, try uninstalling and reinstalling rather than disabling it which is frequently of no use anyway. Basically uninstall it, reboot, try downloading steam again and success or failure make sure you install your av again.

Having worked for symantec for quite some time before my current job I learned that sometimes an av goes a bit funny and instead of not functioning it will go all airport security on you and start frisking even the little old ladies and young children (blocking nearly everything). And usually all disabling it does is put a red x through the notification area icon and little more.

Just a word of warning. If you are running with no av for any period of time, you should make sure your operating system is completely up to date with all security patches and don't do anything online except what you intend on doing then put it back on.

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
I think AV is the LAST step in security, and if it's ever actually required to save you, you need to investigate your policy configurations and make sure you are well-versed in common social-engineered threats. That said, most of us need some kind of AV program installed, because there is always that first time. I've been using the built-in Microsoft Security Essentials tool that is include in Windows 7. I've had trouble in the past with Steam updates and situations when the application would not connect to the server, and by temporarily disabling the "Real-time protection" in MS Essentials settings, I was able to successfully update or connect to log in. After which I was able to turn on the real-time protection again without any problems.

Also, there was a big update to Windows 7 (and other MS products) this week. Depending on when you last turned on your computer, or how you have your system setup to handle updates, this could create problems. I was not able to connect to Steam until after these updates were downloaded and installed. So, check to make sure your OS is updated first, and if necessary update and try to install/update Steam again.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.