cant launch DX11 version of TPA

kaworu

Oct 17, 2016
cant launch DX11 version of TPA, yesterday it worked - DX9 works normally
game just shows black screen for several seconds, and after that shutdown.
of course i use actual client version

PS: figured it out - game did not work via launch with right mouse click->Play DX11 version, but launched via right click->run as admin on pa11.exe itself

Last edited:

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
Even after launching it, game runs all slow and weird for me, something definitely is wrong.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
cant launch DX11 version of TPA, yesterday it worked - DX9 works normally
game just shows black screen for several seconds, and after that shutdown.

I had this issue as well yesterday, but after restarting Steam it was running fine as ever.

EccentricFlower

May 4, 2015
I'm having this problem suddenly today too. Restarting Steam doesn't help. And running pinballarcade11.exe directly from the steamapps directories launches the DX9 version, so that's no help (DX9 version runs fine but who wants that?)

EccentricFlower

May 4, 2015
Bumped to add: This is everyone's least favorite Windows exception, the dreaded BEX (buffer overflow exception). Sometimes you can get around this by specifically turning off Data Execution Protection for the troublesome program, but I only have DEP turned on for "essential Windows programs and services," so that's no good to me.

I can't remember whether I played the DX11 version of TPA at least once successfully since the last time it patched? I know I've certainly played it in DX11 since Jacks Open and Centigrade 37 were added. Steam took a small no-notes update to TPA a day or two after that, I think ...

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
well im new to steam tpa myself but a few things to check

1 the dx11 is seperate from the dx9 exe so double check your using the right one.

2. make sure you run that as admin

3. check steam file integrity

4. ask someone who knows....heh

hope ya get sorted

EccentricFlower

May 4, 2015
FlippyFloppy is talking to me about it in private messages. But just to get the obvious stuff out of the way:

- Running the executable as admin or not admin makes no difference to the result.

- Running pinballarcade11.exe directly works, but launches the DX9 version. In addition to the obvious visual differences it's clearly noted as such in the version indicator on the title screen.

- Running DX11 version from Steam launcher - no matter how you do it - either gives a black screen which is concealing a Windows dialog of "This application has stopped working ..." (you have to use Task Manager to be able to get to it), or crashes straight to the "This application has stopped working" dialog. That's where you can see details of the BEX error.

- Steam in online or offline mode makes no difference. And if you start the executable directly with Steam not running at all, Steam will launch and the behavior is the same.

- Oh, yeah, and turning Steam Overlay on or off makes no difference. (I've had at least three games which it crashes, but it's always been okay with TPA. Still, had to be tried.)

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: PinballArcade11.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 583f5978
Fault Module Name: XAudio2_7.dll_unloaded
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4c0641e5
Exception Offset: 560ba5e0
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Last edited:

EccentricFlower

May 4, 2015
UPDATE! Reading that BEX error again I noticed it was actually an AUDIO dll that was dying, and that reminded me of a pinned thread in the Steam discussions ...

I tried adding the startup option 'forcexaudiodll' as suggested in that forum and the DX11 version now runs again.

No clue, though, about why this suddenly has become necessary ... nothing else on my system has changed that I know of, although I haven't checked the Visual C runtime distributables recently. I did install another game in the past few days which had a VC install so maybe that interfered with them. That's absolutely the only thing that comes to mind.

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
Even after launching it, game runs all slow and weird for me, something definitely is wrong.

This has been an on going issue for me, 27 of the tables will play at the correct frame rate for me if I decrease the resolution but keep the same ratio. My default is 1920x1080 if I go dow4n to 1600x900 I can get 60fps on some tables. Got to play dx9 for tourney tho, sure hope they get us a fix on this!

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
I'm new to Steam and when trying to run PA within steam the other week it would always start the DX9 verison. I had to go into steam client, right click on pinball arcade and properties. Under general tab, change launch options to:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\PinballArcade\PinballArcade11.exe" %command%

sorted the issue for me, although I can now only run the config utility directly from the file system and not steam client. To be honest I hadn't a clue what I was doing or why it was behaving like this. I googled the issue and cobbled the above together.

Members online

Members online