Celebratory and appreciative 1000th post on Pinball Arcade Fans forum

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Hi fellow pinheads,

I just felt like celebrating my 1000th post on these forums. I have been active elsewhere on the net, but never that long or that involved that I came near 1K. I joined these forums in july of 2012 (missing the first few months that it went online?) and nearing the 4 year anniversary that makes for about 250 posts per year. That kinda sounds right to me, because I do tend to post in spurts, while being a semi-daily lurker.

I find these forums the perfect companion to the app itself: I get to read other's opinions on new tables, I can post and discuss strategy, I can track my overall standings in [MENTION=446]invitro[/MENTION] 's one-of-a-kind leaderboard thread. I get my news and gossip about new releases, Kickstarters and -in the early days- warnings when a new version of the app would explode my iPad, or at least would kill all my HOF points. I can marvel here at the exploits of some of the great players like Tarek, VikingErik, Dizzer, Fuuta and so on. It adds a whole layer of fun onto playing when you get to know the players you compete against, as far as that goes anyway. Honorable mention to [MENTION=134]shutyertrap[/MENTION] for his Table of the Week/Month thread that got me competing again on tables that I a. hated/bored me to death, b. didn't think I could better myself on c. just plain forgot about. I even played dr. Dude again, and that is saying something!

Farsight has equally delighted and frustrated me at times, but overall I consider myself a big fan of their work, will blindly buy all tables and support their Kickstarters. I couldn't have imagined this going on for 6, maybe 7 seasons and they have improved vastly in their craft. How much I could criticize them on their lack of communication, broken or extremely delayed promises, it's still the best pinball app out there in my opinion. Sure, Pro Pinball has the superior physics engine but it's only one table for now, and I really pine for better and adjustable camera angles. Zen has the better PR and production values (overall presentation, UI etc), but I really don't like their physics if getting near a real machine is the aim. VP(M)/Future Pinball/Unity 3D have a bigger range of reproductions of real tables (especially VP), the physics are getting better all the time (VP that is) but those programs only support PC gaming and competition is useless because of the editor, all the different versions of the programs and tables and no means of having a secure leaderboard system. Lastly, I'm not really that familiar with A.S.K. Homework, it sounds they are very dedicated to their app and users and have good quality tables, but from what I've seen, it's a bit of a niche thing dealing with Zaccaria tables. Anyway, I'm sure discussions will rage on on aforementioned statements, but this is my opinion on the matter. I hope Farsight stays in business to supply us with even an 8th season if things go right. I also hope that they will revisit some of their older seasons and upgrade tables in quality, physics and stamp out remaining bugs.

I don't want to go all Oscar acceptance speech on you here, and 1000 posts is not an achievement, just merely an excuse to muse a bit and be nostalgic, but I do sincerely want to thank the forum creators and moderators for doing a wonderful job and letting me feel welcome here. I met a lot of interesting people and the atmosphere is friendly and positive most of the time (even with the griping about Farsight). I'll stop right here because otherwise TLDR :)

I look forward to being part of this thing for some time to come!

Last edited:

Ben Logan

Jun 2, 2015
Solid post, Slam23. I like it. I'll take this opportunity to say I too love FS, even though I mainly post criticism of the physics engine. I'll look for more opportunities to be positive. Thanks for modeling that.

:)

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Yeah, great post.
Personally I am still mad with Farsight for messing up the whole cabinet thing and taking too much time to get a state of the art presentation with dx11.
They have the potential to do something great, but they go for the money, obviously.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Zen has the better PR and production values (overall presentation, UI etc), but I really don't like their physics if getting near a real machine is the aim.

Zen is a shooter game with a pinball theme. Once used to it, it's a good game. Not as good as TPA, but a lot more polished (at least on PS3).

My love for TPA slowly fades, as FS support is near from zero now. With one update per year, i would expect that TPA on PS3 would be at least on par about ball physics & bug fixes, with the others versions. But it doesn't (far from it, even on PS4).

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.