Chili recipe

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
This is just a shot in the dark because I don't know how many of you make chili. Maybe you grow your own jalapeños and onions, sauté them up, and make that chili like a pro. Its an easy thing to experiment with though, because anyone can make it. Just throw it all in the pot and there you go.

For me it's an obsession to try to make the perfect chili. There's always some in my fridge. It's kinda fun to experiment. The latest batch I made has 4 cups of coffee in it lol. It actually amplifies the spicyness x2, and gives it a deeper flavor. The WORST thing I've ever tried was putting a can of Progresso soup into it (tomatoe with bacon). It probably would've been great if it was real bacon bits that hadn't been sitting around in a nasty can of cheap soup for forever. Made the whole thing taste like barf.

Do any of you mess around with chili? And what do you put in it? I definitely have a chili making obsession, along with pinball, and well... Beer (which also is great in chili). So what do you think?

Nat-1969

Dec 27, 2014
My recipe: 20 oz ground beef cooked with some chili powder and some diced onions, drain most of the fat..add 2 cans of local grocer mexican style diced tomatoes with green chilis (about 30 oz), one large can of chili beans (think its like 30 oz), one largish yellow onion coarsely chopped, couple garlic buds minced, a lot of chili powder (one or two heaping tablespoons), couple teaspoons each of cayenne pepper, white pepper, black pepper, hot chili powder and onion powder..liberal dose of salt..then take one 12 oz beer (I prefer Boulevard Wheat, or Goose Island 312 Urban Wheat for cooking), I usually rinse the tomato cans out with beer and pour over the dry seasonings. This should fill normal size crockpot to the top..stir it up cook on low stirring every hour or two, cook for 7 or 8 hours. If you like it thicker add a little corn starch and/or crack the lid when it's really cooking to let some of the water content evaporate. This should make enough chili for a bachelor to have lunch all week long. When it has finished cooking I like to put it in a container in an ice bath to get it down to a safe temperature for storage in your fridge, don't want any nasty bacterias to take form as it cools. Like to top it with soup crackers and shredded colby jack cheese.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
lol cool thread bit busy right now but ill get back to ya, as chatters know i talk about food alot heh, but nonr if yiur artsy fartsy forkful on a plate for me

i dont care if the black truffles worth more than ten thai hookers in clown suits!

actually might make a pot now, i vhange my chilli base alot too

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Arg! Just typed a whole page and lost it because of an accidental swipe to the left.

Yeah, I was wondering what the talk about tacos was heretic. Mm tacos. I figured this place could use a little spicing up in the food department. Chili is pretty much the only thing I make though. It's perfect as a leftover cause you can just dump some of it in whatever else you're eatin. And don't forget chili dogs! A couple of other things I've made are pulled pork, and grape-jelly meatballs. So good, and easy. All you need is a jar of jelly and chili sauce.

Nat, that's almost exactly what I do. Except instead of using all those spices, I just use a flavor packet from chili flavored ramen. Picante beef flavor works good too. And instead of chili beans I use kidney beans and black beans. Adding a can of condensed tomato soup will kind of thicken it up and add flavor. Never heard of using corn starch. Crunching up tortilla chips works too, and will add some saltiness. Also I'll chop up a couple of small jalapeños. And my secret weapon - Pace salsa (Southwestern Chipotle flavor) even if it's just half a jar. In the end, it turns out really really spicy. Giving me heartburn, but it's worth it. You should try lightly brewed coffee, 4 cups...ish instead of the beer. Poor beer. It amplifies the flavors and makes it twice as spicy. Too spicy perhaps? Nah, there's no such thing when it comes to chili.

Still haven't tried garlic. I've got some garlic powder though. Red wine, chocolate and honey are things that I just never have on me. There used to be wine, but it it would always be the nastiest wine ever. Maybe that doesnt matter?

Last edited:

night

May 18, 2012
Put in a mixer and blend to a paste:

1 big onion
1 chili pepper (or more if you're not a pussy).
1 table spoon of pimento powder
half a table spoon of cumin powder
half a table spoon of chili powder
a glove of garlic
stems of coriander* (use the leafs at the very end of cooking).

This is a base for a great chili.
Add this paste to meat, vegetables (chopped red pepper & onion) kidney beans and a can of chopped tomatoes & cook to a wonderful dish. Add salt to taste. Don't forget to add the Coriander leaf at the very end!*

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I don't really have a standard recipe. Seems to be different every time. A friend of mine sent me a bunch of chiles from Albequeque (spell?) NM. So I've been adding green chiles lately and also often grind dried red chiles (many types) in a coffee grinder to throw in. I like garnishing with a lot of finely diced vadalia (or any sweet onion).
I'm not really into chicken or veggie chili.

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
Still haven't tried garlic. I've got some garlic powder though. Red wine, chocolate and honey are things that I just never have on me. There used to be wine, but it it would always be the nastiest wine ever. Maybe that doesnt matter?

Try those once. French style ! ;)
About the wine, you don't need a Château Pétrus.
Average wine is perfect.
(Garlic is important)

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Yes! I love chili and I love cooking.
I use minced or chopped chuck. Sometimes pieces of chuck. Fatty meat with lots of flavour. Might add some chopped bacon for smoky flavour.
Besides the mix of regular spices I use fresh herbs. Mostly thyme and rosemary. Chopped coriander is always nice to add at very end. Parsley works too.
I also use beer, sometimes wine. I love to use zinfandel if I'm having wine in my slow cooked pots.
I like to throw some grated cheddar cheese in it and spoon of creme fraiche when serving. And maybe squeeze some lime over it.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Love chili but have one steadfast rule. NO BEANS!!!!!!

Are you from Texas? I hear beans are a big no no down there.
My wife loves beans in chili so I throw them in for her. Pinto or black beans if I must add them.

Favorite garnishes?

I like diced onions, shredded Colby jack cheese, and pickled jalapeño slices. Never ever sour cream. I despise that sour cream goup.

Last edited:

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Gonna have to lock away those suggestions in the vault. Dedpop, don't think I didn't see your pic of the fart. You shoulda left it. Kinda didn't look like a fart cloud though lol

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
OK.

tumblr_l2oaveBEWu1qb5eyto1_500.jpg

Sorry.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts