Construction Set / Original FS Tables

Lostboy

Oct 21, 2012
It might not be available for a while, but I don't see anyone talking about it. What's everyone’s thoughts?

To me, TPA is all about preserving history. Being able to build your own table in a construction kit is going in another direction. But I'd welcome it. It could be a lot of fun.

As for FS releasing their own table, I'm a bit on the fence. There are a lot of pinball video games, and having real tables is what sets TPA apart from the rest. I don't know if I'd like to see a bunch of tables released, but maybe one, maybe as an example table for the construction kit. Working with some experienced designers sounds intriguing too.

Which makes me wonder if we might see more "almost was" tables. Goin' Nuts was made, but never went into production, which is interesting. I recently read about a table design based on Mad Magazine that wasn't produced. Sounds like a table I'd love to see! I imagine there are a lot of ideas from great designers that never made it.

I think if custom tables do come out for TPA, I have two wishes. They must be realistic, as if it could be a real table. Nothing of fantasy. And if the table was never made, or never produced, then a history of it would be nice, why it never made it to production.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I think it was Bobby King who said that they would be interested in collaborating at some point with designers to create original tables, that would normally fit within the constraints of real life tables.

I don't see a construction set using the TPA engine coming out very soon.
If that is something that you are interested in, you really should check out Visual Pinball, Future Pinball, and also maybe follow along with the very exciting Unity3d/Pinmame product.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I certainly want to see realism but I also believe that there is a lot that can be accomplished if money isn't an issue. Earthquaker comes to mind with sinking objects and theater of magic had the spinning tiger saw. Those are things that did not make the final cut because they were too expensive and/or unreliable in the mass produced tables. We could have bullet trains connecting all the major cities in the country but nobody will foot the bill. So I do hope that they do some stuff that is far out and pushes the envelope of reality without crossing the line.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
There's no reason, except maybe financially, FarSight couldn't produce and sell another product. The Pinball Construction Kit by FarSight, the makers of The Pinball Arcade. Slap it on a disc. Throw it out there for $39.99. Sell DLC of FarSight created original content.

If EA still owns the title, use something else. Pinballz. You know it's cool because there's a "z" in the title.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I recently read about a table design based on Mad Magazine that wasn't produced. Sounds like a table I'd love to see! I imagine there are a lot of ideas from great designers that never made it.

I was really into Mad Magazine during my school years. Totally agree on that being a great theme with unlimited possibilities. Shame it never happened.

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
I think everyone is getting muddled up with the whole idea of a construction set, it wouldn't be for the users (us) but more for designers of other virtual pinball tables to help them port their tables over to TPA using standardised assets. Giving us the tools to make tables for free that compete with Farsight's own tables is a recipe for disaster.

atlantis1982

Nov 23, 2012
There's no reason, except maybe financially, FarSight couldn't produce and sell another product. The Pinball Construction Kit by FarSight, the makers of The Pinball Arcade. Slap it on a disc. Throw it out there for $39.99. Sell DLC of FarSight created original content.

If EA still owns the title, use something else. Pinballz. You know it's cool because there's a "z" in the title.

No 'z' at end, bad idea bad bad bad...

But I do like the rest of your idea a whole lot.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I think everyone is getting muddled up with the whole idea of a construction set, it wouldn't be for the users (us) but more for designers of other virtual pinball tables to help them port their tables over to TPA using standardised assets. Giving us the tools to make tables for free that compete with Farsight's own tables is a recipe for disaster.
That's why I don't think the construction set will show up until FarSight is done bringing out their own tables, so as not to eat into DLC sales. Either that or the construction set will be limited to simple tables, which is not particularly interesting to me.

(Slightly off-topic: Something powerful enough to bring Sin to TPA instead of VP would interest me intensely, but that would require a ridiculously feature-rich construction set...I think I'd need FarSight's own tools to make that happen, and that seems unlikely to say the least.)

Lostboy

Oct 21, 2012
Although I'd buy the construction set from FS, and would have fun building a table or two, it's not a feature I'd be too excited about, or spend too much time playing with. I'd just be curious. I wouldn't be upset if this never came out.

I certainly want to see realism but I also believe that there is a lot that can be accomplished if money isn't an issue. Earthquaker comes to mind with sinking objects and theater of magic had the spinning tiger saw. Those are things that did not make the final cut because they were too expensive and/or unreliable in the mass produced tables. We could have bullet trains connecting all the major cities in the country but nobody will foot the bill. So I do hope that they do some stuff that is far out and pushes the envelope of reality without crossing the line.

I was thinking the same thing. I would want tables that have already been produced, to remain as close to the original as possible, even if the prototype design was better. But for original virtual tables, lifting the restraints of building costs and mechanical difficulty could open up the possibilities for some nice ideas.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts