Bug Control of framerate affects game physics!

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
Example: Using Adaptive Half refresh rate basically cuts the ball speed in half.

PC user here with Nvidia card.
I've read about speed problem on other Desktop/Laptop platforms so it seems to be a master problem.

I got a 120Hz screen set to run at that speed. I was getting tearing because my game runs faster than that and I was thinking that this might affect the strange sucking through gates and such (the framerate jumps up and the engine does a funny thing).

When I set it at half refresh rate but the screen still running at 120 I got a very slow game.

If the speed of the ball is affected by framerate control in this way you can not run a tournament, nor can you trust the highscores entirely.

Do I get a price dear Farsight, a free table maybe :p

Looking forward to all future updates

UPDATE: DSR setting in Nvidia panel made the game run in 60hz mode. When changed to 120Hz problem does not occur.
Also playing in 120Hz is allot closer to real and makes the game "easier" because the ball position is updated twice as often.
END EDIT

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
TPA's physics engine is locked to multiples of 60 fps, or at least it was a year or so ago when this issue last was brought up. If your graphics hardware is unable to keep up 60 fps and/or if you use out-of-game methods to force a particular framerate that is not 60 fps, the game will likely slow down, speed up, and/or stutter in response. It gets particularly confused by varying framerates, either due to insufficient hardware or adaptive framerate settings.

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
Dang!
Feels to me it is better to leave vsync off, but I will experiment with that. Not now though; I am home being ill and playing games makes me nauseous.

Thanks for your answer!

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
i wonder if thats why the ball moves so darn fast.faster then most of the videos i see of people playing on console

For what it's worth I've played both PC and PS3 versions extensively and haven't seen any noticeable physics speed differences between the two. There are some other minor differences but those aren't related to the engine speed. I mean by default of course. If you start forcing different framerates on the PC I'm sure it goes pretty haywire.

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
UPDATE:
It ran at 60Hz because I was experimenting with DSR setting in the control panel.
Now I run it at 120Hz and it is allot easier to play.
I tried Adaptive Half refresh rate and it works but it does make gameplay harder.

Anyone who has the possibility to run their monitor on 120Hz should do so and set the game to run at that speed as well, it makes for a more exact ball position.

END EDIT

Old post.
Ah... I checked my screen (feeling better today) and saw that the game is indeed running at 60Hz according to the info. Well, no wonder then since I ran it at 30FPS apparently.
I always try to set up games to run at 120Hz but I guess Farsight locked that down because of physics.

I would rather run it at 120Hz Adaptive half rate Vsync, but hey, hardly a biggie.

Now I gotta go practice, my timing is waaaay off - can't hit anything :(
Yup, set it at 1 frame in the driver and my screen to quick response time (2ms) so I should be good... more practice...

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
FWIW my monitor is 144Hz, whereas I previously ran TPA on a 60Hz monitor.

I never had to mess with any settings other than resolution (went from 1280x1024 to 1080x1920 [portrait]), and TPA runs perfectly well.

I'm not sure what would happen if I tried to force it to run at 144Hz, and I'm not about to try.

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
Well I know that if you run it at 120Hz it is smooth as butter and it is much easier to follow the ball.

EDIT- I will amend that I think you might be running at 120-144Hz already if you set your Desktop to that speed. The game will default to that. Lucky you in that case :)
END EDIT

I play at 120 and if there was a 240Hz monitor I would love to play on that.
Then again that might be all the edge I need to win in a tournament if my opponent run it at 60Hz.... :D

Cheers!

Last edited:

EnergyOne

Oct 25, 2014
Dang!
Feels to me it is better to leave vsync off, but I will experiment with that. Not now though; I am home being ill and playing games makes me nauseous.

Thanks for your answer!

It is almost always better to leave vsync off for nearly all games. Vsync turned on actually cuts frame rate (even though it looks a lot better.)

...yes, really, this is fact. It's due to this reason that Nvidia has been working on Gsync chips for monitors. The way vsync is supposed to work it shouldn't cut frame rate, but due to the algorithm it does.

Members online

Members online