current stern models in TPA

warsaw303

Jun 8, 2012
I saw that too and I'm intrigued and confused. We know they can emulate the Whitestar system, as we have Ripley's and Harley-Davidson. But newer games ('06-present?) use the S.A.M. system and I thought that cannot be emulated in TPA?

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
And Stern "director of marketing Jody Dankberg" says they'll be out for smartphones, even. If it is by FarSight then it would have to be a different video game than TPA though, right, because they've always said a lot of smartphones wouldn't be able to handle the emulation for newer Sterns, and they want TPA to run on just about everything.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Maybe they found a way around the emulation issue. But there are still license issues with just about every modern stern pin. I'm not holding my breath on this one.

Tom

Sep 9, 2012
Maybe they found a way around the emulation issue. But there are still license issues with just about every modern stern pin. I'm not holding my breath on this one.

maybe stern works in the TPA license when they licence games in the future

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Maybe they found a way around the emulation issue.
When they've talked about this it sounds like the (older) smartphones they want to support in TPA simply don't the processing power to run those tables well. I don't see a way around that unless a) they've suddenly found a way to vastly increase the efficiency of their emulation engine, which seems unlikely, or b) they've decided not to worry about supporting the slower smartphones anymore in TPA--which would lead to a multitude of customer support problems.

But there are still license issues with just about every modern stern pin. I'm not holding my breath on this one.
That would be a reason to have it in a different game, in which they would charge significantly more per table to cover licensing costs.

Clawhammer

Nov 1, 2012
It's possible this person misspoke or game informer relayed the information wrong. I would be very surprised if we saw a Stern production game on TPA anytime soon, if ever.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
It's possible this person misspoke or game informer relayed the information wrong. I would be very surprised if we saw a Stern production game on TPA anytime soon, if ever.

Always a possibility. I thought the exact same thing. Perhaps just someone regurgitating Gary sterns dream of a simultaneous physical and digital release.

Kemetman72

Banned
Sep 12, 2012
SAM is emulated in VP but I am not sure how much Steve knows about it. If anyone could do it for TPA it would be him. Now we just need some Capcom tables!

Eaton Beaver

Jan 25, 2014
I heard Gary Stern mention how smart phones have hurt the touch screen games found in bars. He also seemed to be a big fan of the barcade/pinball scene. I would really like to play the new Stern tables in person at either Pinball Hall Of Fame or some of the spots in New York. I hope to someday play some real tables in the future I miss playing them.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Always a possibility. I thought the exact same thing. Perhaps just someone regurgitating Gary sterns dream of a simultaneous physical and digital release.
That's what I'm thinking.

But I'd dread newer Stern games on TPA. There are far too many older titles that are far better than what they're churning out currently (with the odd exception).

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
After further consideration, I'll believe this throw away comment from Mr Stern when I see Star Trek LE in The Pinball Arcade...

N

netizen

After further consideration, I'll believe this throw away comment from Mr Stern when I see Star Trek LE in The Pinball Arcade...

I'll stand my my comments that we're more likely to see "The Pin" as a current Stern in TPA, and a whole lot of marketing gibberish to back it up as a good thing for the entry level pinball collector/player by Gary.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I'll stand my my comments that we're more likely to see "The Pin" as a current Stern in TPA, and a whole lot of marketing gibberish to back it up as a good thing for the entry level pinball collector/player by Gary.

Well that's the only way they'd sell any... ;-)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.