DirectX 12

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
Just read this article:

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/directx-12-what-is-it-and-why-it-matters-to-pc-gamers-1318636

For someone with much more technical know how then myself, can you advise why it would make more sense to develop TPA on DirectX 11 rather then 12? Is it a cost thing?

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Just read this article:

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/directx-12-what-is-it-and-why-it-matters-to-pc-gamers-1318636

For someone with much more technical know how then myself, can you advise why it would make more sense to develop TPA on DirectX 11 rather then 12? Is it a cost thing?
Well for starters DX12 has only just started to be a "thing". DX11 came out over a year ago, before Windows 10 was released; and it was in development for a long long time.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

karl

May 10, 2012
I am not a tech wiz, but I would guess there is a lot of reasons why it will take a lot of time until tpa uses DX12

-It is not just to switch. It is a lot of work to do, because you will basically have to design the whole game from scratch (if I have understood it right)
-Compatibility. They refused to upgrade the ios platform game, because then it would not work on older devices. Now imagine a pc version that you can only play on Windows 10? DX 11 works on Win 10, Win 8 and Win 7.

I am on really thin ice on this one,(because I know so little about the subject) but what would dx 12 actually benefit a game like TPA? I have a 4k tv that I just bought a computer for, and even if you have pretty ok specs on the pc, it is very hard to play a lot of games that is dependent on dx 11 in 3840 x 2140. Games that are built in dx 12 handles this a lot better. But I have no problem playing tpa in 4k resolution. Yes, they might be able to apply even more lightning effects, shadows, etc. with dx 12 but it is also possible still to do a lot of more things in dx 11, right now, than the game actually has.

Maybe if the game was brand new or if they had very little to do up in Big Bear and decided to build everything from scratch, but as pm1109 said, not gonna happen soon.

The steam version of this game is already fantastic. It is by far the best version of tpa, and there is still much they could do within the boundaries of dx 11.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts