DLC Release Date

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Very close.

I played the game on ps3. It's just off. Like, I can't put my finger on why.

Holding out at this point is laughable but, I think we're looking at late spring now. Boo-urns

N

Nik Barbour

Very close.

I played the game on ps3. It's just off. Like, I can't put my finger on why.

Holding out at this point is laughable but, I think we're looking at late spring now. Boo-urns

If you're looking for a good alternative, I recommend Android on a good spec tablet. The Nexus 7 was custom made as the perfect TPA device in my opinion.

Plays as fluidly and smoothly as the xbox.
Has both Portrait and Landscape already.
PS3 Controller can be used (rooted - with sixaxis app).
Tournament access (not that I did any good).
Touch or shake nudging (shake works really well on Android).
First and complete access to all tables released.
Beta access available to all.
Portable.
The missus / kids can watch telly whilst I play.
You can play (pinball) whilst in bed (my current location).
It's a complete mini arcade with all my emulators on, Mame, Snes, see pic........
No pinball shortage - with TPA, Zen, Revenge of the Rob-o-Bot.
Ect........

Can't recommend it enough. :D

ze9y4y9y.jpg

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
If you're looking for a good alternative, I recommend Android on a good spec tablet. The Nexus 7 was custom made as the perfect TPA device in my opinion.

Has both Portrait and Landscape already.
PS3 Controller can be used (rooted - with sixaxis app).
Tournament access (not that I did any good).
Touch or shake nudging (shake works really well on Android).
First and complete access to all tables released.
Beta access available to all.
Portable.
The missus / kids can watch telly whilst I play.
You can play (pinball) whilst in bed (my current location).
It's a complete mini arcade with all my emulators on, Mame, Snes, see pic........
No pinball shortage - with TPA, Zen, Revenge of the Rob-o-Bot.
Ect........

Can't recommend it enough. :D

Hmm.. Nik, that looks and sounds pretty cool.

Would it be possible for you to post a few screens of various TPA tables from the Nexus?

I hear of some issues with slowdown on mobile devices? This in itself would be enough to turn me off the idea, no matter how slight.

N

Nik Barbour

Hmm.. Nik, that looks and sounds pretty cool.

Would it be possible for you to post a few screens of various TPA tables from the Nexus?

I hear of some issues with slowdown on mobile devices? This in itself would be enough to turn me off the idea, no matter how slight.

Sure - here's a few.... (anything specific - just post what you want a pic of.)
TPA on the Nexus 7 really is smooth as the consoles on every table (even RBION, and the alpha numerics, and 6 ball LITZ).
Performance is even better than on the Nexus 10, which is reported struggling with a couple of tables.

TZ portrait
asypata4.jpg

TZ in landscape
gugamuvy.jpg

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Thanks, Nik! Cool pics.

Firepower certainly looks a lot more colourful than the Xbox pics and video released by FarSight.

No offence but there are a lot of jaggies! I imagine on the 7 inch display, these are a lot less apparent though?

N

Nik Barbour

Nope - not a lot of bugs. CV is not great on Android, and there are a few bugs in the new tables, but they have just released and probably soon will be fixed.
Ryan the Android dev is on these forums almost daily, and if you report something, it will get looked at.
The other tables have the occasional typical Farsight bugs but nothing significant, and we are literally talking a few bugs.

Re-jaggies - the screen capture isn't really doing the graphics full justice, it looks better on the device.

I was an xbox TPA'er last year but haven't looked back since buying the N7 at Christmas. I think it's the perfect TPA platform.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
I was an xbox TPA'er last year but haven't looked back since buying the N7 at Christmas. I think it's the perfect TPA platform.

Yeah, I was around when you had your 'paddy' and gave up on the Xbox! ;)

Glad you are enjoying TPA on the Nexus now. Hopefully us Xbox users will eventually get some good news.

BTW what do you know of the performance issues on Nexus 10? I take it this relates to maintianing 60fps at the higher resolution?

EDIT: This is getting dangerous... you've got me looking at the Nexus 7 now! Oops, the wife is coming!!

Last edited:
N

Nik Barbour

BTW what do you know of the performance issues on Nexus 10? I take it this relates to maintianing 60fps at the higher resolution?

Re - paddy:- Sorry about that - I was fairly pi$$ed at laying out for an xbox, only to find 2 months later its next to useless. I should have picked a tablet to start with.
But cr@p technology decisions are hereditary in my family (my Dad chose Betamax), I can kind of imagine my Great Great Grandad saying "that internal combustion engine will never catch on".

Re N10 performance - Yeah, exactly right, it's mostly the GPU requirements of that huge resolution screen. They fixed the interface scaling issues recently.
Reports are that RBION is a problem on N10 due to the heavy emulation demand. Dr Dude has been a major headache for the N10 partially due to the mixmaster wires. But Farsight have ordered their own N10 this week, so they should be able to optimise better going forwards.

N7 is as smooth as an oiled silky thing though on all tables. Just don't let the missus catch you peeking. :)

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Understandable, especially if you've bought an Xbox just for TPA. It's just about the only reason I fire mine up now.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to post some screens and share your views on the Nexus.

Sounds like it might be a better option than the iPad or Kindle Fire. Not that I'm saying I'm peeking... ;)

N

Nik Barbour

Sounds like it might be a better option than the iPad or Kindle Fire.

My Mum got a Kindle Fire HD for Xmas, and whilst setting it up for her, I gave it the old TPA test. It's not a patch on the N7 graphically. It feels flatter, more matte and less detailed. Nexus game play feels more fluid too. Google Play Store is better than Kindle (unless you're going to root).
Not bad - but considering they're the same price, it was a no brainer for me.

As for ipad's, snigger - sorry! No shake nudging, too expensive, app stores heavily restrictive against emulators, can't use a controller for TPA. I'm not an apple fan as you might have guessed.

Last edited:

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
As for ipad's, snigger - sorry! No shake nudging, too expensive, app stores heavily restrictive against emulators, can't use a controller for TPA. I'm not an apple fan as you might have guessed.

Come now, ipad has larger screen, higher ppl, much higher native resolution, and shake nudging works just fine. ;)

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
gotta say the N7 has been getting more and more TPA play time recently. N7 really comes into its own when travelling. Keeping me sane at the moment.

Sure the Xbox will get some usage when the updates finally start to appear, but my preference is definately starting to shift.

Butterkins

Apr 6, 2012
Come now, ipad has larger screen, higher ppl, much higher native resolution, and shake nudging works just fine. ;)

I think the iPad is a much better device overall (when you take the OS quality in to consideration), but shake nudging???

I don't know people even play some of these tables on the iPad. For me, the nudging is basically worthless.

Butterkins

Apr 6, 2012

Do the tables have ball shadows and reflections?

I've only played the console and iPad versions, and the difference is pretty stark. (Shadows and reflections are missing on the iPad.)

N

Nik Barbour

Do the tables have ball shadows and reflections?

I've only played the console and iPad versions, and the difference is pretty stark. (Shadows and reflections are missing on the iPad.)

No they don't.
There was a discussion about this last week. Can't remember who, but someone did some mockups, showing how much TZ was improved by adding rail shadows.

Marz Richards

Feb 19, 2013
TZ looks bad. I'm floored that the promise of an announcement was followed up by no news relating to how they will fulfill 360 Kickstarter contributors needs, nor anything speaking to how the timetable has progressed so far. It would have been helpful for FS to have said, "In October, we were informed of X. In December, our attorneys did Y. Now we are waiting for Z from Judge Johnson." Instead, much like Quality Assurance, this crucial step in a business plan that will allow you to mollify the concerns of your earliest supporters was ignored. How do other equally small studios manage to build a game, test a game, and get it to market without discarding the patrons who established the market for the game in the first place? Probably worth taking a look at the answer to that question at this time.

Members online

Members online