Do those custom (bowling) balls disable leaderboards/goals?

MWink

Jan 13, 2013
I'm really annoyed right now. I just finished my best game of Who Dunnit ever. I should have unlocked my last wizard goal (1B+ bonus) but it didn't register. I'm incredibly annoyed as this goal has been haunting me for quite some time. I've managed 900M+ numerous times but never quite 1B, till now. I just blew past it with a 1.6B bonus. I know sometimes the goals don't register properly but I also noticed that my new high score isn't showing on the leaderboards either. The only thing I can think of is that maybe it's because I switched which custom ball I was using. I had played a few games with the Addams Family physics altering balls (which I know DO disable leaderboards/goals) but this particular game was played with the new (green) bowling ball. I don't believe these balls alter physics, have ball control, or anything like that. Do they disable the leaderboards/goals for some reason?

fosforo

Jan 1, 2015
hi Mwink, did you wait some time before check the leaderboards? Very often the scoring update process from your PC to the server takes some time.

MWink

Jan 13, 2013
Yes, I know it often takes a while for scores to post to the leaderboards. I just checked again, to be sure, and it's still not there.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Those bowling custom balls actually change the physics, which is mentioned in the announcement. The one ball you get for just installing the game lets you control the ball on the play field. Not sure if it does anything else or what other balls do out of this collection. I think FS could do a better job in warning the player if he selects a ball which stops you from getting leaderboard scoring or wizard goals.

MWink

Jan 13, 2013
Those bowling custom balls actually change the physics, which is mentioned in the announcement. The one ball you get for just installing the game lets you control the ball on the play field. Not sure if it does anything else or what other balls do out of this collection. I think FS could do a better job in warning the player if he selects a ball which stops you from getting leaderboard scoring or wizard goals.

Can you give me a link to the announcement? I only saw what was mentioned in the newsletter and it says nothing about them altering physics or having ball control. (The Addams Family balls are another story.) I just went back and tried them again and none of them appear to alter physics or have ball control. Actually, I'm not even sure why I have these balls. I don't have the bowling game. I just saw these custom balls appeared in the Steam version, after the update, so I gave them a try. They look good but I won't use them if they disable the leaderboards/goals.

And I completely agree, the game should let you know if you select a ball that will disable the leaderboards/goals. Enabling Pro mode gives you a warning. This should too.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
The custom balls coming with the game are OK: I use the Smiley ball (the yellow one) on White Water, and my scores are posted in the leaderboards (PS3 version).

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Can you give me a link to the announcement? I only saw what was mentioned in the newsletter and it says nothing about them altering physics or having ball control. (The Addams Family balls are another story.) I just went back and tried them again and none of them appear to alter physics or have ball control. Actually, I'm not even sure why I have these balls. I don't have the bowling game. I just saw these custom balls appeared in the Steam version, after the update, so I gave them a try. They look good but I won't use them if they disable the leaderboards/goals.

It's surprising you got them on Steam. AFAIK they are only for the mobiles. The announcement is shown on the "What's new" screen on Android.

fromduc

Feb 28, 2014
The custom balls coming with the game are OK: I use the Smiley ball (the yellow one) on White Water, and my scores are posted in the leaderboards (PS3 version).

Piece of advice: u should use it on 95% of tables ;)

MWink

Jan 13, 2013
It's surprising you got them on Steam. AFAIK they are only for the mobiles. The announcement is shown on the "What's new" screen on Android.

It did seem like they were intended for mobile but they appeared in the Steam version, so I gave them a try. I looked and you are correct about the announcement on the Android version. I wonder how they affect the physics because I didn't notice a significant difference when using them, unlike the Addams Family balls.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
What are these physics-altering balls you talk of? I'm curious. I'm on PS3 so won't be seeing them soon.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
There are balls, like at least one of the Brunswick bowling custom balls, which allow you to manually move the balls around the table as you wish. On tablet there is a control point, which you can use for that.

Then there is another ball from the Addams family collection, which ignores the power magnet. It doesn't have any physics alterations on other tables, but I'm not sure if it allows wizard goals and leaderboard goals with other tables than The Addams Family. In TAF you can't get this obviously. But it's a nice way to make the table easier for those who are not interested in leaderboards.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Piece of advice: u should use it on 95% of tables ;)

Yes you're right, the lighting FX on the ball (PS3 version only), despite it is nice, can be annoying: the reflection is too strong on some tables (AFM, SpS, TCP - the ball shines way too much) or too weak (Diner, TZ, WW - the ball looks dark and transparent), and that makes the ball hard to see and track. Actually, it depends of the lighting of the table itself (some are too bright, some too dark) and the reflection on the ball changes accordingly.

The problem is obvious when you compare with the ball of the PC version (the ball is more "grey" and "dark", and has a constant look on all tables).

I think we should request FS to remove now this eye-candy FX on PS3 and have the same ball than on PC.

Maybe I will create a topic on this.

Last edited:

fromduc

Feb 28, 2014
Yes you're right, the lighting FX on the ball (PS3 version only), despite it is nice, can be annoying: the reflection is too strong on some tables (AFM, SpS, TCP - the ball shines way too much) or too weak (Diner, TZ, WW - the ball looks dark and transparent), and that makes the ball hard to see and track. Actually, it depends of the lighting of the table itself (some are too bright, some too dark) and the reflection on the ball changes accordingly.

The problem is obvious when you compare with the ball of the PC version (the ball is more "grey" and "dark", and has a constant look on all tables).

I think we should request FS to remove now this eye-candy FX on PS3 and have the same ball than on PC.

Maybe I will create a topic on this.

Beside that, this yellow smiley ball decrease your reaction's time so much... In terms of scoring, adopting it made me join a new dimension. But keep it for u, hey ^^

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
Beside that, this yellow smiley ball decrease your reaction's time so much... In terms of scoring, adopting it made me join a new dimension. But keep it for u, hey ^^

I like the black and white streaked one, but the smiley is good too. Hooray for visibility.

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
Can't they add an effect-less version of those special balls that still allows you to post scores to leaderboards?

I really like the Lightning, Golf and Thing balls, but can't ever use 'em due to that reason.

Last edited:

MWink

Jan 13, 2013
Can't they add an effect-less version of those special balls that still allows you to post scores to leaderboards?

I really like the Lightning, Golf and Thing balls, but can't ever use 'em due to that reason.

I agree. Actually, I'd like them to separate the physics altering aspects from the ball skins. Make them two separate options. Then you could pick any ball skin without affecting leaderboard/goal availability OR you could select any ball skin you like with the altered physics of your choice, with leaderboards/goals disabled. I think that would be the ideal implementation.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts