Downloading console games online vs bricks and mortar...

TripleT

Sep 23, 2012
Haven't bought a console game in forever. Getting ready to buy Titanfall for XBox One, but wondering if I should download it, or run to Best Buy and get the physical game/disc?

Any pros/cons to consider?

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Haven't bought a console game in forever. Getting ready to buy Titanfall for XBox One, but wondering if I should download it, or run to Best Buy and get the physical game/disc?

Any pros/cons to consider?

Pros to download:
Don't have to drive to the store
Don't have to load disc in and out
No disc to break, damage, get lost or stolen

Cons:
Can't resell the downloaded game
If/when Microsoft drops support for the store for the One you won't be able to reinstall the game if needed or wanted
Can't easily bring game to a friend's house to play
Can't use on more than two consoles. Its an issue for those of us with three PS3 consoles

Last edited:

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
I always buy a physical disc if possible because once they turn their servers off, no more game. I may want to play it 20 years from now.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Downloading is convenient but if gives the publisher a much stronger stranglehold on what you can and can't do with your property.

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
For downloading games I'm ok with the android stuff... not much choice anyway.

On pc I'm fine with Steam or GOG.

but on console I don't think microsoft or even sony are a good choice for digital download.
In europe GTA5 was cheaper to buy on disc than on download wich doesn't make sense!

I don't know how they're gonna handle the price on the new machine (don't have them) but at your place I think you'd be better off buying the game on disc...

DarkAkatosh

May 23, 2012
Think of it this way:

Digital Downloads are rentals. You will lose access to them at any given time be it within the next 10 days or the next 10 years. Unless you game on PC

Physical copies can be kept forever.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
I download a digital game copy only if:

- the game is only downloadable (no retail version)
- there is a big price drop for the digital version (and only if the price is cheaper than an used game copy)

Otherwise, as said above, to have a physical copy is a lot much safer (in case of servers down, no Internet, or HDD crash).

Last edited:

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
I'll always prefer physical media for the reasons above but I've got a few downloaded as they've been freebies through the PS plus thingy. Saved quite a bit as it goes

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Speaking as a PS3 owner, I always buy physical media. It doesn't take much to switch discs and I never have to then worry about running out of hard drive space. This has really hit home with me in the past few weeks, as I got a Plus subscription and have been downloading the free games. I don't know what my 120 gig PS3 is filled up with (other than all the guitar hero and rock band tunes stored on it!), but I can hold about 4 full size games and then I'm out of space.

Now you may say, "who cares? Delete 'em and when you wanna play again, redownload" which would be a solution if I didn't have a very slow DLS connection. A 10 gig game takes about 17 hours to download for me! There's also just something about having the actual disc, whether it's knowing you always have the original version before certain patches screwed everything up, or opening the case and finding a cool full size map like GTA games tend to have.

I will say, as a PSP owner I wished I had bought digital, as that's the only way those games would transfer to the Vita without paying for them again. On PC I really really like Steam, as it's made installing these games idiot proof, and I can move from computer to computer without deactivating a game.

There is no simple answer, just think about what your usage preferences are. I know me, and I like to physically own things. I have a friend who moves so much, he prefers everything digital since it's one less thing to pack. And he has a fast internet connection!

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I think for sports games and yearlies, it's best to download until you think it's going to be the last version you will buy.
Some games don't offer a choice.
Other games I kind of judge on a case by case basis.

Mostly though, I prefer physical media on consoles because I like to keep my collections of old games.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.