Earlier "Space Shuttle" game by Sega

cubemoss

Apr 12, 2013
Hi all, I wasn't sure where to post this, so hopefully this is a good place. I was reading about the Williams Space Shuttle table that's coming to the Pinball Arcade, and it reminded me of a pinball of the same name by Sega that I saw last summer at the Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show in Seattle. That one looked several years older than the Williams one. I'm not sure if I can see the copyright date on it with the two pictures I snapped on my (poor) phone camera, but I would guess it might have come out when the Space Shuttle itself was still in prototype stage.

I'm aware that Sega distributed Williams tables in Japan in the '70s, but this is definitely a completely different table. Has anyone else seen it? It's just a matter of curiosity I suppose, but still neat to look into. There's a pretty good resource online at segaretro.org but unfortunately they don't have any info on this one.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Sega's Space Shuttle is from 1977; the Williams table is from late 1984. So far as I know they are completely unrelated other than their name and theme.

Robert Hunt

Dec 2, 2012
This is nothing less than a breach of national security. What started with Japan helping themselves to the intellectual property of our space program and pinball industry has led to a situation where the rogue nation of North Korea is threatening us with ballistic nukes! Data East was a Trojan Horse!

cubemoss

Apr 12, 2013

Yep, that's the one I saw! But I didn't get to play it... It was on display but not working, along with some really old machines from the 1930s I think. But just as an aside, if any of y'all can get up to that NW Pinball and Arcade show, it's well worth it. It was way cool having hundreds of games, like the biggest arcade I'd ever seen, and seeing people across all generations enjoying them together.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts