El Dorado - first impressions / tips and stretegies?

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Also, bang backs are possible in this game, but it'll lead to a TILT instead. Just don't try this; I performed it many times and it still TILTED on me. Remember: Grab the bonus, but not the TILT.

westofrome

Jan 29, 2013
I've been enjoying this table, but there seems to be one big flaw: the bonus scoring absolutely dwarfs practically any score you could get when the ball is in play, and it's pretty easy to max the bonus. So once you've maxed the bonus and multiplier and gotten the extra ball and special, it's kind of tempting to just drain and go for another extra ball to cash in on the bonus again. There are no big playfield shots worth much.

N

netizen

Has anyone noticed that the game tilts like 2 seconds after you nudge?

Yes. i added it to another bug report I had about tilts where if you tilt too late and the emulation has already changed the ball number over to 3 while/before counting the bonus the game will end on you prematurely.

dougsterfresh

May 11, 2013
I played this table on the Wii and never felt like it was finished and couldn't get into it. It seems like they are using the existing IP/licenses and improving on them quite a bit for the new releases. I know Victory is soooo much better than before. So far, however, I still can't quite get the feel for El Dorado. The table layout seems to frustrate me, I think because I haven't mastered nudging yet. There is so much of the playfield that I feel I lose control over, and the outlanes seem really ruthless. I have come back to it, so there may be some truth to the drop target addiction however, so jury's still out. Some of my favorite Gottlieb pins are early 80s pins, so for those early classic haters, I think you should check out the early widebodies before passing final judgement. Here's hoping for Devil's Dare!

Blueshirt

Nov 17, 2012
I love drop targets, and the table is actually PLAYABLE this time (seriously, try playing this on gottlieb PHOF... yuck.), but in the end I do find it rather dull. There's... not a lot to shoot for, and it's just not exciting. I absolutely adore big shot, and even central park can be good for a quick few games due to how old it is, but El Dorado is sort of stuck in a weird limbo where it's what you expect from a design of that era but without something to really drag you in. It's just... there. I still appreciate it's there, and the drop targets are a lot of fun to shoot at, but if I wanted really good drop target shooting action I feel I'd just go to big shot to scratch that itch.

Though CBW has a lot of drop targets too... maybe that's the theme.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
I love drop targets, and the table is actually PLAYABLE this time (seriously, try playing this on gottlieb PHOF... yuck.), but in the end I do find it rather dull. There's... not a lot to shoot for, and it's just not exciting. I absolutely adore big shot, and even central park can be good for a quick few games due to how old it is, but El Dorado is sort of stuck in a weird limbo where it's what you expect from a design of that era but without something to really drag you in. It's just... there. I still appreciate it's there, and the drop targets are a lot of fun to shoot at, but if I wanted really good drop target shooting action I feel I'd just go to big shot to scratch that itch.

Though CBW has a lot of drop targets too... maybe that's the theme.

I've been thinking about why I like Big Shot more than El Dorado despite the ruleset complexity being roughly equal, and I came to the conclusion that it's probably mainly about the main target bank in el dorado being straight shots from the flippers. Big Shot pretty much forces horizontal ball movement with every single shot worth making and it makes it just way more punishing. The targets are overall also closer to the flippers in Big Shot which may also add to that. All that said, el dorado isn't a terrible table. It's just not quite as exciting.

Blueshirt

Nov 17, 2012
Big shot's just a simpler table, that is better for it. It's just got a tight, skill-based, easy to understand but incredibly fun and just plain solid gameplay. El-Dorado has a stranger layout, more going on on the sides, and is actually slower as well. Big Shot is just fast, fun, and furious, and gives you that drop target itch like no other table can. El-Dorado is just slow enough and distracting enough, and the layout and shots needed for the drop targets are just off enough... that it becomes not something stellar, but something just... there. Which is a shame, but like I said? At least it's playable. It pretty much wasn't on the Gottleib collection.

Zorgwon

Sep 14, 2013
In this El Dorado you have to complete the drop target bank, in BS only one side of your choice.
The original EL Dorado focused on the lit spot target awarding 5000 points and no bonus. Other targets scored poorly There was a rollover and a fix target that both moved the spot.

In City of Gold there is an added bonus feature with an all or nothing logic on the first ball. Complete the targets or start over!. The spot targets are mostly invalidated. The spot always starts at the same targets. No wonder that the designer had to go.

Last edited:

Spike Forehand

May 14, 2013
Was excited when I first heard they were gonna do El Dorado. Didn't realize it was the SS version though. Would have much preferred the EM. Actual bells and score reel sounds >>>>>>>>> lame early SS sounds.

Torn about whether to d-load or not. Will try the free version a few more times and then decide.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts