• Xenon™

Votes: 120 35.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarik

Banned
Dec 27, 2014
hmmm....... it seems that we have quite a few new members here. Voting shouldn't be allowed to those with less than 100 posts.
Thank you for showing how hospitable you are.
This is exactly why official polls shouldn't be held here.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Time for me to chime in...

First off, this is a poll, not a bracket. It is being used to gauge people's interest. It is NOT the sole determiner as to what will actually get made. Don't believe me? Then explain why we have Cue Ball Wizard instead of Eight Ball Deluxe.

Second, just because YOU do not like EMs, or toys, or DMD, or Gottlieb, or whatever, does not mean everyone else agrees with you because you saw a few posts on Facebook. FarSight has the actual sales numbers, they know what moves units and what doesn't.

Third, it is highly unlikely that FarSight is going to comment on or change the poll because of the stir created in this thread. Witness every other time, except for the T2 skull, the forum has gotten riled up over something.

Fourth, I'm seeing a lot of talk about this taking up the EM slot for the year. An EM is an EM. If FarSight is being true to their word, then maybe this poll works two-fold. You've got the SS titles up there, you've got the EM titles. That means Fireball is currently leading with EM's. A lot depends on what FarSight wants to use their allotted number of WMS titles on before the next contract. Do not take this poll as scripture.

Finally, instead of crying out about things being unfair, or the semantics of registered date over manufacturing date, how we change the tune? Make a push for the also rans, not by decrying some other table's perceived faults, but in why the table you like is so great. Be it the table art, drop targets, it being a super wide body, it having 3 chimes, whatever. You don't win any debating points by saying your taste is better than someone else. Something like this...

I like Fireball since we don't have any other tables that have zipper flippers, and I think the spinning disc is cool.
Xenon is aesthetically pleasing, with a layout I tend to enjoy.
We need a gambling table, so bring on Joker Poker as it has cool shot selections.

9 pages in, I think we've had enough of the bashing. We get it. Now let's show FarSight why you all are so passionate about these titles.
well said shutyertrap mate !!!:cool:

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
@ Tarik
well, sorry, but you missed the point. I'm just afraid that the opportunity for getting one older table will be wasted with something that doesn't even belong to this poll. And now we have a bunch of new members (which are very welome) that came here just to vote for something that will/would probably happen anyway. It's not something personal against any of you, it's just my reaction on something that FS did very poorly and without clearly stating what does all this means for that EM they promissed. Or some older SS.
This poll had an obvious winner before we started to vote. So all I/we/some of us want to know what does that mean.

diablomozart

Aug 13, 2012
Time for me to chime in...

First off, this is a poll, not a bracket. It is being used to gauge people's interest. It is NOT the sole determiner as to what will actually get made. Don't believe me? Then explain why we have Cue Ball Wizard instead of Eight Ball Deluxe.

Second, just because YOU do not like EMs, or toys, or DMD, or Gottlieb, or whatever, does not mean everyone else agrees with you because you saw a few posts on Facebook. FarSight has the actual sales numbers, they know what moves units and what doesn't.

Third, it is highly unlikely that FarSight is going to comment on or change the poll because of the stir created in this thread. Witness every other time, except for the T2 skull, the forum has gotten riled up over something.

Fourth, I'm seeing a lot of talk about this taking up the EM slot for the year. An EM is an EM. If FarSight is being true to their word, then maybe this poll works two-fold. You've got the SS titles up there, you've got the EM titles. That means Fireball is currently leading with EM's. A lot depends on what FarSight wants to use their allotted number of WMS titles on before the next contract. Do not take this poll as scripture.

Finally, instead of crying out about things being unfair, or the semantics of registered date over manufacturing date, how we change the tune? Make a push for the also rans, not by decrying some other table's perceived faults, but in why the table you like is so great. Be it the table art, drop targets, it being a super wide body, it having 3 chimes, whatever. You don't win any debating points by saying your taste is better than someone else. Something like this...

I like Fireball since we don't have any other tables that have zipper flippers, and I think the spinning disc is cool.
Xenon is aesthetically pleasing, with a layout I tend to enjoy.
We need a gambling table, so bring on Joker Poker as it has cool shot selections.

9 pages in, I think we've had enough of the bashing. We get it. Now let's show FarSight why you all are so passionate about these titles.

agreed...not sure in all the time i've been here, that i've ever seen the community so divisive...it's rather disturbing to me that people will stoop to insulting others just to get the table they want...seems we have forgotten it's just a poll about a game...d.m.

soundwave106

Nov 6, 2013
If the poll was "What should be the next pinball table after AF?", an educated guess, based on the feedback in this forum would have High Speed 2, Cyclone, or similar as the winner. Very likely nobody would have mentioned Xenon.

Xenon come up quite a bit on the Facebook feed. (So does Paragon for that matter.) For the most part, I see this "it's not pre-1980" whine, while technically correct, also as a whine that Xenon is winning.

Having said that, an EM would definitely be welcome for better balance. Neither Xenon nor Paragon are EMs. (Nor is Flash or Future Spa or Joker Poker or Time Warp for that matter). Pinball Arcade actually has a pretty healthy dosage of earlyish solid state (seven pins from 1979-1981), including two of them that never were in the Hall of Fame games. We only have two EMs though, all Hall of Fame carryovers.

The problem is (as seen from this poll to be honest) EM fans tend to be a vocal minority, and the requests tend to be a bit more broad (eg "make an EM" vs "I want Xenon!"). The business problem with the Bally / Williams EMs, as I see it, is that an EM pin here would use up a license that would be used on a table that would clearly sell better.

This is not so much the case for the hated Gottliebs. So my thought has been for a bit -- if one must Gottlieb, instead of wasting another slot on something like LCA, make a Gottlieb EM, spare the Wms/Bally license, and make something (like Royal Flush or Spirit of 76) that the EM people will love and the DMD folks will hate vs. something *everyone* will hate. :)

(Not that a Bally / WMS EM would also be cool too, but it just makes less "business" sense in some ways.)

Eric Hall

Dec 26, 2014
Our local arcade collector of every thing 80s arcade just added a Flash to the collection of games to play. Look up Starfighters Arcade on facebook. It is in mesa AZ. Looking forwarded to A trip to get some old fashion arcade action in.

RC_Deckman

Dec 26, 2012
I expect anyone who becomes a member should have the right to vote, and the only reason there's an exclusion to brand new members is simply to prevent voter fraud. Limiting a person's voting rights until they reach a threshold of posts seems unfriendly to those that don't like to involve themselves in conversation or controversies. And it also skews a vote to the overtly outspoken which could be considered unfair in it's own right. I expect a time frame of a month or two delay should suffice and keep things as fair as possible.

Having the table I voted for/would have voted for if I had been paying attention lose doesn't phase me. It's happened before and will happen again. If something is "bound to be made" then I don't consider it a waste to be included in a poll because maybe it might just be proven a waste of time. In this case, it wasn't. It is what it is, and ultimately FarSight will choose what it wants to produce regardless of input from the peanut gallery. I feel honored that they should even ask.

daneman20

Dec 18, 2013
I own every Pinball Arcade table in iOS and all on Xbone. While I might not post here very often, I think being a customer gives me some right to have a voice here regardless of my age or how often I post. While divisiveness can be negative, it can also be positive, provided it is respectful, in that it allows discussion of viewpoints. I don't agree with any name calling or the like. At least Farsight knows we are here now. What a better time to let them know than in a Pre-1980 poll? If Xenon is to be the choice, I sincerely hope that it happens because those who voted for it really wanted that table and not because they were settling for something because a "pre-1980" parameter was set. If there is genuine like for this table then Xenon it is! I do not think it is a bad table by any means. I have played this on Future Pinball and it have decided it was a keeper even thought I did not find it terribly exciting. The Royal Flush table looks really nice and it gets my vote

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
i couldnt give a crap what a table looks nor its toys and gimmicks,

the 70s were an era of pure HARD pinball games, then to get the plebs playing we enter the 80s with zing zing beep beep LOOK at me

tpa horribly unrepresents the last era of pure pinball which is a great shame

xenons gameplay is average is best..a few game wonder

im usually happy to buy all tables but i wont buy that pish on princple

and yes i do believe some of you have godawful taste! only reason xenons getting any votes is people saw it that one time in 711 as they were trying to lookup missys skirt! guess what missy had herpes!

as far as gameplay goes xenon shouldnt get a look at almost any table on the list

abit of a farce really.

ive wanted paragon from day one but id galdy have many of the others too, but to loose to xenon kinda stings.

tbh if it wasnt up agaisnt such great tables i wouldnt bat an eyelid but to loose the likes of paragon formthis? its sad

i gave up on ever seeing paragon ages ago, to get this dangled in my face onky to be blocked by a painted hoor like xenon is annoying

Holy ****, I think that's officially your longest post of all time.

sedated

Oct 26, 2014
he problem is (as seen from this poll to be honest) EM fans tend to be a vocal minority, and the requests tend to be a bit more broad (eg "make an EM" vs "I want Xenon!"). The business problem with the Bally / Williams EMs, as I see it, is that an EM pin here would use up a license that would be used on a table that would clearly sell better.

This is not so much the case for the hated Gottliebs. So my thought has been for a bit -- if one must Gottlieb, instead of wasting another slot on something like LCA, make a Gottlieb EM, spare the Wms/Bally license, and make something (like Royal Flush or Spirit of 76) that the EM people will love and the DMD folks will hate vs. something *everyone* will hate. :)

Funny to me, I'm the exact opposite. There's very few DMD Bally/Williams pins I care about (Congo is about the only one left that comes to mind), whereas I really like System 3 Gottliebs (Cactus Jack's, Vegas, Surf N Safari, Freddy: Nightmare on Elm Street, Rescue 911, Deadly Weapon, Barb Wire).

Opinion differences aside, I feel like we've gotten a few head scratchers lately. Party Zone felt like a wasted license (I mean did anyone really want that table with other choices to be had?), High Speed 2 is sort of redundant with High Speed 1, we don't really need that one this season or we could have gone without the first High Speed last season. Starship Troopers I guess is unique that it's a Sega license, but was that even a big request? I've feel like I've seen more requests for Baywatch which is a better table and I can't imagine would have been any heavier of a license to get.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Why would my vote be any less valid just because I'm a new user?

I do believe he was being sarcastic, especially since there was an earlier response saying polling should be limited to those over 45. There is a learning curve to some of our user's whit and humor.

There are no exclusions to any member, new or old. New members are needed and appreciated, as this place would get pretty stale without 'em. So welcome. Don't step on any land mines.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Funny to me, I'm the exact opposite. There's very few DMD Bally/Williams pins I care about (Congo is about the only one left that comes to mind), whereas I really like System 3 Gottliebs (Cactus Jack's, Vegas, Surf N Safari, Freddy: Nightmare on Elm Street, Rescue 911, Deadly Weapon, Barb Wire).

Opinion differences aside, I feel like we've gotten a few head scratchers lately. Party Zone felt like a wasted license (I mean did anyone really want that table with other choices to be had?), High Speed 2 is sort of redundant with High Speed 1, we don't really need that one this season or we could have gone without the first High Speed last season. Starship Troopers I guess is unique that it's a Sega license, but was that even a big request? I've feel like I've seen more requests for Baywatch which is a better table and I can't imagine would have been any heavier of a license to get.

Starship Troopers was probably part of the block of licenses FarSight negotiated with Sony when they got Dracula. In addition, now that they can do Data East tables, and most of those are licensed, it makes perfect sense. Requested or not (and it has been over the years).

Party Zone, The Getaway, these don't require licenses, and there aren't many DMD era tables left that fit that bill for WMS.

sedated

Oct 26, 2014
Party Zone, The Getaway, these don't require licenses, and there aren't many DMD era tables left that fit that bill for WMS.

Ok fair enough but why not go with the System 11's or earlier ones instead? System 11's are hugely popular among enthusiasts and tables like Sorcerer people are still waiting on as well.

David T. Melnick

Jul 23, 2014
Many have talked about Paragon and is currently in second place. I never heard of this machine till recently, after looking YouTube videos and reading more about it, I can understand why this is a popular pre-1980s table. I hope to see this get made for TPA as well soon.
_____
Pinball fans getting both Paragon & Xenon will easily suffice everyone (I think). ;)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Ok fair enough but why not go with the System 11's or earlier ones instead? System 11's are hugely popular among enthusiasts and tables like Sorcerer people are still waiting on as well.

They try to go every other table between DMD and alpha numerics. I LOVE System 11 machines, so I hear what yer sayin'.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I feel left out of the conversation, so I'm gonna waste some bandwidth with this post. Ok, I'll go away now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Members online