February TotM Groupings and Results

superdan

Jan 30, 2015
Extork: you placed 6, 15,13, and 4 on taxi, cc, ss, and st respectively overall yet placed 5th overall.?
I placed 5th, 16, 12, tied bottom 3 in respective games, came second to last?
I can only assume placing in small groupings carry a disproportionate weight on score overall.
I don't want to sound like sour grapes, just want to understand the formula on these overall scores.
I'm sure shutyertrap will enlighten us soon...
I'm curious more than anything. I enjoy playing these things regardless.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Guys, your overall score and how you placed overall on each table doesn't matter, except maybe in case of a tie in overall points, the one "put up or shut up" table you want a good overall score because it's a tie breaker. The only important thing is to place well in your individual table group. If you guys say "I placed 17:th, 4:th, 5:th and 6:th OVERALL on each table", it practically means nothing at all. It's how you placed in each of your randomly selected group that decides how many points you get.

From the rules:

Tell me about tournament points.

For each table, you will be placed within a group of 3 or 4. These are the people you are competing against on that table, not the entire field. Within your group, 1st place scores 13 points, 2nd 9 points, 3rd 6 points, and 4th 4 points. You will be with a different grouping for each table.

Maximum points for the tournament depends on how many tables played. So 4 tables = 52 points as the highest score possible. These points determine the overall tournament placing. In the event of a tie, the 'put up or shut up' round breaks it, even if you did not play directly against that person. Season total ties are broken a little differently. Whoever had the higher placing in the previous TotM gets wins the tie.

Last edited:

Axlsgolden

Dec 2, 2013
Yeah me too ;)

O yes, same for me..."Nothing else matters"....:cool:

I hope to improve my skills until next tournament, PAPA pinball is a good pinball-fountain. But some tricks are inoperative for me. F.e. passing the ball with the flipper tips from one side to the other. Flipper button reacts digital, so zero or full input.

Greetings and congrats to the best 3 players. Wow!!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Extork: you placed 6, 15,13, and 4 on taxi, cc, ss, and st respectively overall yet placed 5th overall.?
I placed 5th, 16, 12, tied bottom 3 in respective games, came second to last?
I can only assume placing in small groupings carry a disproportionate weight on score overall.
I don't want to sound like sour grapes, just want to understand the formula on these overall scores.
I'm sure shutyertrap will enlighten us soon...
I'm curious more than anything. I enjoy playing these things regardless.

As switch3flip pointed out, it's all about earning points in your group, not the overall placement. You took 2nd (9 points) on one table, 3rd (6 points) on another, 4th (4 points), and then had a no score table which gets you 0 points. Grand total of 19 points for the tourney, that's how you come second to last place. The only reason I post the absolute scores is for stats purposes. They have no weight in the tourney outcome though (except for PU/SU round)

I've said it time and time again, the point of this whole method of tourney scoring is to increase the chances of lesser players to rank higher. Next month will see the return of weighted scoring, in that if you beat a top 10 player who is in your group, you earn an extra point. Those very same top 10 players go head to head in PU/SU round, so one of them is coming away with only 4 points there despite maybe having 4th highest score for that table overall. Meanwhile, a few people in the lower tiers will earn 13 points to close the gap.

The good players are always going to rise to the top. The fight for top 6-10 is where the fun is at, as that is usually very fluid. This setup allows for many minor victories, helps keep the average player interested. Yes, it can deal some harsh blows too, but over the course of a season it tends to find balance.

Voof

Sep 22, 2015
Wow is that a normal view count for you? How does that happen?

Lethalfrag was kind enough to host me that evening, which really hurt my concentration and focus but it was fun and got to talk to a bunch more pinball friends!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.