Feedback on new UI

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
great, no more HoF points and local scores on table selection :confused:
Tracking HoF points was a pain before but at least it was there, working.

Shardz

Apr 7, 2014
Yes, there is now a composite HoF screen in the high scores section, but we have no clue what each HoF rating is per table. We are getting there, but the process is slow. I just can't help but think how everything was laid out before and miss it dearly.

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
Yes, there is now a composite HoF screen in the high scores section, but we have no clue what each HoF rating is per table. We are getting there, but the process is slow. I just can't help but think how everything was laid out before and miss it dearly.

This will be addressed in the upcoming updates. The HoF leaderboard can be accessed from the table overlay (When selecting a table) that will display each tables HoF score as well as having a shortcut for the Online HoF leaderbaord.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
at the moment, there's nothing in that overview. It was in previous version. Together with local scores. And those local scores were broken badly. On many tables I had some number which was not the #1 local score.
And the whole UI now renders incorrectly sometimes. All I get are grey boxes, no game thumbnails and no text. And sometimes when all is present, text is broken, some letters are missing.
And what was the idea behind table sorting? It is still endless scrolling like before.
Manufacturer selection needs another sub menu, or at least manufacturer logo on thumbnail to make any sense.
Table packs? What is that supposed to be? Sure. they are in order but there are no packs, just single tables.
My rating. Great. Except I don't see rating on thumbnail. :confused:
Table goals? Again, nothing on thumbnails. And maybe sort them in reverse order. If I go for the goals then I want to see the ones I didn't complete.
We have six different options of sorting and yet, they all feel the same.

AnvilCloud

Jun 25, 2016
"We have six different options of sorting and yet, they all feel the same"

Yeah, you know it would be nice if there was some actual categorization among the different sorting methods. Instead there is 0 separation between say a Stern table and a Williams.

BTW how is the vibration working for any of you guys? Is it working at all?

Edit: sorry I meant the vibration feature available with some tables... Has not worked for me in tournament at least. I'll have to see if it works in normal play.

Man, just a gigantic screw up this UI has become. It's like it brought on dozens of other issues not including looking downright ugly. And to have a stubborn attitude about it just cements how awful this company is.

Last edited:

Shardz

Apr 7, 2014
There would have to be daily updates for a month to fix this app at this point. Look at the Google apps...how many times do each and every one of them update every week? At least twice? Nothing really new seems apparent, but they update all week long anyway.

With PBA, there is a laundry list of things to address and very little happening to fix any of it. This doesn't exactly get me steamy in the loins for Stern Arcade after seeing this fiasco. You just know it will have this very same UI and all the fleas that come with that untrainable dog.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
BTW how is the vibration working for any of you guys? Is it working at all?

Edit: sorry I meant the vibration feature available with some tables... Has not worked for me in tournament at least. I'll have to see if it works in normal play.
I just played Earthshaker this morning and at first it didn't work. Which is fine, I hate it anyway. The problem is that FS decided to run motors at full speed so there's no felling of shaking, just annoying buzzing. But after going into options and switching if off then on again it worked.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
There would have to be daily updates for a month to fix this app at this point. Look at the Google apps...how many times do each and every one of them update every week? At least twice? Nothing really new seems apparent, but they update all week long anyway.

With PBA, there is a laundry list of things to address and very little happening to fix any of it. This doesn't exactly get me steamy in the loins for Stern Arcade after seeing this fiasco. You just know it will have this very same UI and all the fleas that come with that untrainable dog.
There's so much wrong, broken and less convenient with it that the only real way to fix it would be to go back to the previous UI.

Sent from my SM-G935V

AnvilCloud

Jun 25, 2016
I just played Earthshaker this morning and at first it didn't work. Which is fine, I hate it anyway. The problem is that FS decided to run motors at full speed so there's no felling of shaking, just annoying buzzing. But after going into options and switching if off then on again it worked.

Interesting... BTW, since the audio seems to almost randomly drop from tables, pausing a game and then flicking the sound toggle off and on does seem to help sometimes. Note - sometimes.

Last time I checked and unchecked vibration it did nothing. I'll test it again though.

Great stuff we have to do for an app many of us poured substantial money into, hey?

Spork98765

Jul 3, 2015
2.02.4:

Still doesn't close

Table icons were made even larger, WTF? There has to be a scaling option so that users can decide the size of the tiles. Otherwise the "designed for phone" option that has been implemented will simply alienate the tablet user base. This scrolling forever UI game that has been developed is frankly crap.

No more rating tables, now they are simply "favourites". Which is even more useless, as there is now no way to sort favourites as they simple appear A-Z for the ones favourited. Why is there now a difference between the Steam UI and the Android UI? Sure, ratings is gone on both, but Android got Favourites and Steam got My Tables. Wasn't the point of the new UI to have a standardized UI across all platforms?

Still cannot change the filters to ascending/descending. Why not?

Where are the fine grained sound controls? I do not want menu music, but I would like to not have to enable sound every game, and then disable it at the end of every game. This is becoming a very poor game of "UI Navigator 2.0: The Never-Ending Scroll". There aren't even any achievements for navigating through the submenus to find the options to do the things that should be simpler.

Why are the game start UI menu header/footer shifted down?

Tables that do not have Pro Modes have a Pro Mode option, and there is an artifact in the menu of these tables.

Why is there the ball select footer, if we could potentially select a ball skin from, say, the cart menu area/system; seeing as the ball skins are never going to disappear as a selection choice? This redundancy and weird overlay thing seems a bit, well, over-engineered, not thought out, and some other un-polite terms that have likely been said.

Why the redundant "Arcade" button on the home screen that does the exact same thing as the button in the top left corner? Same comcern about over-engineering, and not thinking things through.

Is Android supposed to have 4 Tables of the Month? This has yet to be answered since the new UI went "Live".

Is the sound supposed to cut in and out if you hang out on the home screen, or select menu?

Why is the "TxSector downloaded" still hardcoded as the message when you press Download Owned in Manage Tables?

The tiles on the cart/store page still change size when you leave and then come back to the store. Go to the cart, press season 6, press the options gear, press the cart, you'll be on season 5, but the tiles will be smaller than they were, press any season and watch the tiles get bigger. It works no matter what season you leave the store on, as going back will always default you to season 5, and the tiles will always change when you change the season from 5 to whatever.

Give an option to disable the goal banners. They do not always display properly, and when they don't it's a real horror-show; i'll just go ahead and assume this is partly because the app doesn't close properly and when you bring it back out of recent memory there have been some processes stopped but others are ... well you get it it's bad. I just saw the code that was supposed to make the banner itself. I got a little widow full of unicode instead of a banner. So was it a good idea to insert a screen blocking image that you cannot opt-out of. Hmm, NO it wasn't. Maybe some forethought before over-engineering this particular idea, again it seems half baked. Not done.

Oh joy, for all the talk of how this new UI will decrease all the scrolling we'd have to do, guess what ... It doesn't. If anything you have to scroll more now. There is still no memory of where you were in the list before you started a table. Thinking of doing goals, want to do the ones you have the least of, tough. You'll have to scroll to the bottom of the list every time. Can't invert the list, can't have it remember your position between games.

I forgot to add, the nudge animation is still FUBAR. Nudging up still "moves" the table down. I knwo on PC there are more issue where invert nudge does nothing for the X axis L/R animation and the Y axis stays inverted no matter how it is set. This has been reported every build since before the new UI and has not been fixed. This is an integral part of the "game system" and yet cannot be made to work right?

Lastly, a changelog - get one, and update it every release! 3 tables were updated and all that can be put in the What's New on the Play Store is "Big Hurt pinball table added to the Pinball Arcade", really? As if that wasn't totally apparent.

Look, I get it, you want people to add constructive criticism, but how can we be very constructive when we get shut out and treated like input is meaningless. This is directed at FarSight, not anyone person. Until they learn how to communicate and act as if this is a product they want people to actually support beyond the initial download and maybe one or two single purchases then maybe don't delete criticism on the facebook page, don't ignore emails to support, and don't release an unfinished product and act surprised when it's not well received.
@FlippyFloppy

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I'm leading an effort for more detailed change logs over on the New UI FAQ site. Haven't created one for this release yet, as I have a day job. Will do so tonight.

Flipperdeflip

Feb 17, 2015
It's 2016, I have been using a mouse with scroll wheel the past 20 years, so why do I still have to click arrows to scroll in the New UI on PC?

AnvilCloud

Jun 25, 2016
It's 2016, I have been using a mouse with scroll wheel the past 20 years, so why do I still have to click arrows to scroll in the New UI on PC?

YES! I've been practically screaming "get a seek bar!!!" for months! It scrolls for a mouse and is a drag item on android, extremely fast, simple to implement, and best of all it's logical.

As for "favorites"... WTF??? What constitutes a "favorite"? This just gets weirder and weirder! Once I read the above post by spork98765, I had to check this out by myself. I don't get it. I actually kind of liked the idea of rating tables on a scale of 1 to 5. Now, this just makes no damn sense though!

Wow. This company just needs to be bought out by competent developers. I don't know what else to say. No caring about what users/fans think, implementing seemingly random features that nobody has asked for, adding more bugs than fixes, and just generally hating on the very people who made this a popular title.... SMH

I would love to hear from the people who designed this mess. If you are reading this, and this UI and it's changes were your ideas, we'd love to hear from you!

bigfatbass

Jun 20, 2016
"Where are the fine grained sound controls? I do not want menu music, but I would like to not have to enable sound every game, and then disable it at the end of every game."

This! I like to play for a little bit before bed, but the game overides my master tablet volume, so every time I start it I get bombarded by that ****ty AM radio version of pinball wizard until I can turn the volume down again.

Such a brilliantly nuanced software package, but with all these insane little glitches/omissions that defy the logic filter of anyone who has used a computer in the last 2 decades.

How do you eliminate the ability to turn off the menu music? I mean it WAS there, so we know the coding exists, so why on earth would they remove it? Despite all the other bugs and hitches people are finding, this would still be my first question if I had access to a board meeting, because it defies all logic from the consumer standpoint:

Why did you take away the "turn off menu music" option, and who's idea was it?

Last edited:

bigfatbass

Jun 20, 2016
And believe it or not, the massive glitch that bombs the game when it forces you out of PA to view the ads is STILL there! I only own season one, 23 tables is enough to keep me going for a while, but every time I try to play a table of the month, the invisible ad button that dumps you out of PA to your browser STILL blows up the game engine clock so everything runs at hyper speed. You have to fully quit the game to get it to reset, sometimes more than once! This kind of bug is simply inexcusable. Really. How do they expect people to want to pay money for tables after such an unstable update(s)? I fell in love with Red & Ted's Road Show as TOTM, and would gladly pony up for the table pack, but they will not get another penny out of my wallet until they get their crap together.

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
Why did you take away the "turn off menu music" option, and who's idea was it?

And why are these settings not saved between subsequent runs of TPA? Does one really NEED to change these settings every single time the app is run? I made the decision to NOT want the music on (or to sort the way I want to sort or any other settings I make)...why does Farsight feel the need to override my settings decision every time I run the app?

Why are the camera angles STILL not saved on a per-table basis, after years now? Geez

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.