Finally got an iPad, woohoo

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
TPA looks awesome on this. It's an IPad Air 2. It feels weird going back to my iPhone 5 now. But yeah, I don't know how I lasted this long without one. Anyone know of any other games that's would look neato on it? I tried out Dead Trigger, and that looked cool too. I'm finally part of the iPad club!!!

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Congrats man! I always just leave mine plugged in at night, so I'm not sure how long it takes to fully charge.

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
You need to tell us what you like, Extork. :)

I like boardgames like Ticket to Ride, Puerto Rico, Ascension.
"80 Days" is kind of an adventure where you try to travel around the world in 80 days. Just google it, it's awesome.
"Out there" is a space survival game with exploration, ship building and aliens. Quite unique.
"The Room 1-3" are beautiful puzzle games.
"Her Story" is another unique, well, mystery where you look for hints in video snippets.

The kids enjoy "Cut the rope" or the different endless runners.

The golden rule is to wait for sales. It's ridiculous that you pay so much less and there are apps and websites that monitor prices.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
You need to tell us what you like, Extork. :)

I like boardgames like Ticket to Ride, Puerto Rico, Ascension.
"80 Days" is kind of an adventure where you try to travel around the world in 80 days. Just google it, it's awesome.
"Out there" is a space survival game with exploration, ship building and aliens. Quite unique.
"The Room 1-3" are beautiful puzzle games.
"Her Story" is another unique, well, mystery where you look for hints in video snippets.

The kids enjoy "Cut the rope" or the different endless runners.

The golden rule is to wait for sales. It's ridiculous that you pay so much less and there are apps and websites that monitor prices.

You have great taste.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Welcome to the iPad club! My Air 2 is my first iOS device and first tablet and I can tell you that there is a world of amazing games for you to impulsively purchase. I recommend checking iossnoops.com daily for price drops and freebies, and toucharcade.com for their news, excellent reviews and great community.

So, iPad recommendations: ScotchYeti's got some good one, although I prefer Her Story with a keyboard.

The key to really enjoying touchscreen games is to stick to the genres that use it best, rather than genres that try to make conventional button controls work.

Before getting to games, I recommend checking out the free trials for Marvel Unlimited and ComiXology if you like comic books, unlimited (sort of) reading! ComicFlow is a nice app if you want to read your own .cbz/.cbr comic files. Zinio is a nice service for reading digital versions of print magazines, some of which are interactive with embedded videos, like National Geographic.

Try out KORG Gadget if you like making music, it's an amazing production suite. Try Procreate, Sketches Pro and Paper for drawing. Paper is made by 53, which makes the best iPad stylus for drawing as it features lots of pressure sensitivity and a built-in "eraser" tip.

For pinball:
Zen Pinball, obviously. The Marvel and Star Wars tables periodically go on sale for .99 cents each. But get the Zen app, not the Marvel one. For convenience.
ProPinball - Best digital pinball physics, IMO.
Atomic Pinball - two nice tables by Color Monkey, but not my favorite physics, tbh.
INKS - A pinball puzzler
Pinball Breaker Forever - Free, pinball meets block breaker. Weird physics but fun.

Card Games - this is where the iPad really shines!
Free:
Solforge
Hearthstone
Magic Duels
Dominion
Mavenfall
Card Crawl
World of Tanks: Generals
Dead Man's Draw

Cheap and Excellent:
Star Realms
Ascension
Yomi
Xenoshyft
Sentinels of the Multiverse

Board Games - the secret best thing about having an iPad!
Eclipse
Stone Age
Puerto Rico
Pandemic
Forbidden Island
Forbidden Desert
Ghost Stories
Elder Sign: Omens
Tsuro
Splendor
Ticket to Ride
Small World 2
Pandemic
Galaxy Trucker
Galaxy Keep
Talisman
Pathfinder Adventures
Lords of Waterdeep
Dominant Species
Suburbia
Agricola
Le Havre
Catan
Carcassonne
... And a bunch of stuff by Reiner Knizia

Strategy/Dungeon Crawler/Roguelikes:
XCOM - Enemy Within (edit: originally wrote, "Enemy Unknown" but Within is the superior follow up)
Warhammer 40k Deathwatch - Tyranid Invasion - A good XCOM-like
Legend of Grimrock
7 Mages
Vainglory - Best MOBA on mobile
Transistor
Warbits - it's Advance Wars!
FTL
Crashlands
Out There
Titan Quest - You like Diablo? This is your best answer on iPAD.
Planar Conquest - 4x Strategy juggernaut
Hitman GO
Lara Croft Go
Autumn Dynasty
First Strike
Loot & Legends
Door Kickers
Hoplite
Tiny Rogue
868-Hack
Kingdom Rush Series
Tower of Fortune 2/3
King Rabbit
Sid Meir's Pirates
Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes
Skulls of the Shogun
Clash Royale
Space Hulk
Warhammer Quest
Roller Coaster Tycoon 3?

Action Games/Endless Runners/Quick Time Killers:
The Executive - One of the best and weirdest games on iPad, period.
Space Marshalls
Downwell
Nimble Quest
Tomb of the Mask
Pac-Man Championship Ed. DX
Desert Golfing
Canabalt
Ball King
Xenowerk
SkyForce R
Circa Infinity
Super Hexagon
Icycle
Hopiko
Flick Golf! HD
Deep Dungeons of Doom
Fotonica
Epoch 2
...QWOP

Puzzle:
You Must Build a Boat - A must-own
Monument Valley - Another must-own
Gasketball
Dungeon Raid
Puzzle Quest 2
Magic Puzzle Quest - superior to Marvel Puzzle Quest

Kairosoft Games! There are so many, but Game Dev Story, Mega Mall Story and Dungeon Village are good places to start!

Whew. I've already gone on wayyyy too long, but these are some of the best games I've played on iOS. Obviously there is much more out there, but this is a big list to start. Hopefully this introduces more than just OP to some hidden gems.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Wow, you have great taste as well. I've had my eye on Yomi for awhile, but is it worth the full price?

Last edited:

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Holy crap! [MENTION=4638]HotHamBoy[/MENTION]. You basically answered the question with one post. Thread closed, jk. But no, that was very well thought out, and thanks for taking the time to write all of that. With the way I operate, it's going to take me forever to check out all of that stuff, but that's great because that was what I was asking for. Lately ive been playing a lot of Hill Climb. So maybe I didn't even deserve all of those suggestions lol. If I had to sum up the type of games I like, I'd have to say... something kind of easy to understand, but not so easy to master. I know exactly what you're talking about with games that don't translate well to the touch screen. That Atari ap is great just to have it, but not great for touch screen. I'm not ready to get a controller though. Baby steps. Anyways thanks, and keep on gaming!

...yeah, I forgot to add that pro pinball is awesome. 'Nuff said. Zen on the other hand... I'm not the type be opinionated about something I know nothing about, but I'm not ready to take that next step and get Zen. One of those podcasts made me want to check out the aliens package, but for some reason I have no desire to get any of the Zen tables

Last edited:

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Welcome to the iPad club! My Air 2 is my first iOS device and first tablet and I can tell you that there is a world of amazing games for you to impulsively purchase. I recommend checking iossnoops.com daily for price drops and freebies, and toucharcade.com for their news, excellent reviews and great community. .......

Whew. I've already gone on wayyyy too long, but these are some of the best games I've played on iOS. Obviously there is much more out there, but this is a big list to start. Hopefully this introduces more than just OP to some hidden gems.

Ok sooooooo... I'll see you guys next year. Gonna be a little busy. Thanks for the list.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Glad I could help!
[MENTION=3]Jeff Strong[/MENTION] Yomi is a pretty cool game, really unique. Do you like fighting games and fighting game theory? That's certainly the prime audience. As far as value, it's far, far cheaper than buying the physical game... And that's true for all the board games. Eclipse: $8 on iPad or $100 at the game store...
[MENTION=2241]Extork[/MENTION] do not fear Zen! I used to not like it that much but I've really come around. There are some really excellent tables, and only $1-2 a pop. Yes, it's fantasy pinball. It feels different (for the love of god, don't dead bounce). But it is also often wonderfully creative. These are the tables I recommend if you are feeling overwhelmed by choice:

Zen Originals ($1):
Sorcerer's Lair (free!)
Wild West Rampage
Castlestorm
Pasha
Epic Quest

Star Wars ($2):
Starfighter Assault
Empire Strikes Back
The First Order

Marvel ($2)
Spider-man (one of the easiest tables but just really fun)
Captain America
Blade
Moon Knight
(i personally don't think the Marvel movie tie-in tables are that good, although people seem to love Gaurdians. They have weird intro gameplay and terrible sound-alike voice actors. Although I might recommend Ant Man as the exception, it's certainly more fun than the movie...)

Football Super League (shades of World Cup 94), Aliens and both South Park tables are fantastic, as well.

I'm not saying these are all the best tables, but I think they are universally praised and they are pretty safe bets. Everyone seems to have different tastes with Zen. A lot of people like Mars, which I think is dull as dishwater. On the other hand, I think Tesla is pretty awesome and I don't see much love for it.

If any of the callouts irritate you, you can go into factory adjustments and turn them off on the more recent tables.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
I gots to have me my dead passing. It's essential for Genie. I do it as much as actually flipping. I'll get zen eventually. It's just that I've actually been really liking Tx Sector.

That's like $19 up there. Time to return some beer bottles, there's like $49 worth in here

Last edited:

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Congrats on the new device :)

Thanks man. Sorry I miss your tournament, but I was hibernating over the weekend. Yeah I missed a couple of family events too. Sometimes I just need a weekend to post up on the couch, drink myself silly, and think about play all up those games up there^

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
is there a way to hook up a game controller (ps3?) to an ipad? I wanna jump on the ipad bandwagon also. my iphone died about a year ago and I miss it dearly.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Never thought one of my lame threads would reconnect you guys :). Good to hear from both of you.

...that controller is something I've been thinking about too, so thx Jeff. I know Jared loves his controller for android, and maybe there's something to that. He did so good in the tournament. Or maybe he cheated, jk

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts