Fish tales aviable on iOS

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Every time I get a high score, the game bugs out at entering initials. I have to quit.

Unplayable

:mad:

When this happens, wait. And I mean wait. It may actually take a minute or two, but eventually, the arrows WILL pop up and you can enter your initials then. The table is actually waiting for you to enter initials for one of the "special" scores you've beaten. Like "Biggest Liar" or "Top Boat Rocker". After that times out, you can then enter your initials for your score.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I find the real table difficult and this feels right to me. I'd like to see the fast cast a bit more doable on the fly without having to nudge. And the ball lock should be a little more receptive to shots. But other than those minor complaints it feels very close to the real deal. Real pinball has some randomness that will never be recreated, but this feels very much like the one I play locally.

Darn this lightning flippers! :mad:

Clawhammer

Nov 1, 2012
When this happens, wait. And I mean wait. It may actually take a minute or two, but eventually, the arrows WILL pop up and you can enter your initials then. The table is actually waiting for you to enter initials for one of the "special" scores you've beaten. Like "Biggest Liar" or "Top Boat Rocker". After that times out, you can then enter your initials for your score.

This.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I think FS is spot on with this recreation. I played an IRL Fish Tales recently and it kicked my behind thoroughly. With the TPA version being more predictable, I can get higher scores but the overall feel and even some specific plays feels the same! If you check out Bowen Kerrins PAPA tutorial on this table you will see for example that shots to the multiball lock area from the left flipper behave exactly the same: some "stick" immediately but often it trickles out again. It's funny to hear Bowen grumble about that, but the TPA version does the same thing! Also, there's the thing that Clawhammer mentions, about the game getting confused about it's multiball locks, this also happened on the real Fish Tales a couple of times, so I think it's probably a ROM thing. The captive ball shot is as difficult and dangerous on the real table too! I think FS nailed the flow to the boat ramp shots, you can get in a nice rhytm and balls are fed back to the flippers on a steady speed. Backhanding into the multiball lock area from the right flipper was also possible on the real table, with exactly the amount of error margin. Anyway, I'm more stumped for the answer which part they didn't get in the translation from real to recreated, so hats off to Farsight for this one! And although the HOF point requirements seem through the roof again, if you get the machine rolling with jackpots, it scales quickly (like Eegah said), so I can live with that. It's the part of getting to that situation that's gonna be hard, but a nice challenge all the same!

Storm Chaser

Apr 18, 2012
I find the real table difficult and this feels right to me. I'd like to see the fast cast a bit more doable on the fly without having to nudge. And the ball lock should be a little more receptive to shots. But other than those minor complaints it feels very close to the real deal. Real pinball has some randomness that will never be recreated, but this feels very much like the one I play locally.

My thoughts exactly. Well implemented!

Regarding the initials and high scores, if you just wait it will come up. Sometimes you have to wait up to a minute, but eventually you will be able to type in your initials. While typing, it has the same problem as some other game (Teed Off?) where it is really un-responsive and difficult to go to each letter. At least there's no timer on it though.

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
i'm loving the graphics and game play on this table, but the audio isn't anywhere near as good as it could be. If Farsight utilized ROM emulation on this table then there is seemingly no need for the audio to be this poor. If they used sampling then they need to up their bitrates.

This isn't a deal breaker by any means, but I just hate that such an outstanding emulation is marred by the poor audio.

*** EDIT ***
It was just pointed out to me that better audio would have hampered the physics and gameplay on some iOS devices so ... "never-mind!" I guess what is ultimately needed is the ability to automatically up the bitrates on the new 64-bit iOS machines ...

Last edited:

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
To anyone that isn't going to buy this table because its too hard... Do what I did and read the instructions word for word (half way through I was buggin to just play already). In a way, it gives you a better understanding of what you can do, even though their instructions seem to drag on. After that, you will find that the video mode is fun.

Speaking for myself here though... Even though it might be challenging at first, the captive ball and the locks are so much more rewarding when you get them. And from what I've read, it's very much like the real table. But yeah, I've never played a table where the captive ball plays this big of a part (and risky).

The more I play, the better I get. So a

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
I love this table. It's both fun and funny...it's something I'd expect to see inside of a Bass Pro Shops retail store next to the electronic shooting gallery. We have one nearby here in SoCal. ;)

Dec 7, 2013
To anyone that isn't going to buy this table because its too hard... Do what I did and read the instructions word for word (half way through I was buggin to just play already). In a way, it gives you a better understanding of what you can do, even though their instructions seem to drag on. After that, you will find that the video mode is fun.

Speaking for myself here though... Even though it might be challenging at first, the captive ball and the locks are so much more rewarding when you get them. And from what I've read, it's very much like the real table. But yeah, I've never played a table where the captive ball plays this big of a part (and risky).

The more I play, the better I get. So a

The game is beyond fair with how the outlanes behave in pinball arcade version.

Drains happen via missed shots and bad plays, as they should. Would be really silly to miss out on this game because of some weird difficulty stigma. Game is nowhere near harder stuff on Pinball Arcade like Star Trek or Cactus Canyon.

This is easily one of the best games period in the app and it's right up there with Attack from Mars, Theatre, Twilight Zone and the like. Super addictive with great strategy potential and it makes you work for bigger scores.

I'm top 50 leaderboard and I still haven't hit more than a couple super jacks, put a lot of time in the game, it keeps you coming back. Such an enormous breath of fresh air compared to the last few releases.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts