Request Fix Audio pitch for some tables

PC.Doctor

Jul 22, 2013
This is a rather minor flaw in TPA and it doesn't affect the gameplay, but I notice the audio of some tables are a higher in pitch than that of the actual tables. Not all of the tables have this flaw, the ones I took note of are TOTAN, CV, CC, WD, and SS.

I'm quite irritated because this happens to movies as well. The change in pitch just doesn't match the one I remember the most and it just ruins it (I wouldn't even go near them unless it's been adjusted to its original pitch). The higher pitch in audio just ruins the entire table (for me). If FS is suppose to fully emulate an actual table in TPA, they could at least lower the audio pitch for the tables I said earlier in this thread.

Think about it, do you feel the voices in an actual pinball machine sound much lower than they do in TPA? Does the music seem a little off pitch when you hear them in TPA compared to the actual machine? If you do understand me, then join forces with me to fix this minor flaw in TPA.

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
What device are you talking about?
For android an audio quality increase has been requested for a long time...
On pc I think it sounds fine, with a big sound system at least ^^

When i play on my android tablet the sound is ok through the little speakers... just ok... but if I put headphones you realize the quality is pretty bad.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
This is a rather minor flaw in TPA and it doesn't affect the gameplay, but I notice the audio of some tables are a higher in pitch than that of the actual tables. Not all of the tables have this flaw, the ones I took note of are TOTAN, CV, CC, WD, and SS.

I'm quite irritated because this happens to movies as well. The change in pitch just doesn't match the one I remember the most and it just ruins it (I wouldn't even go near them unless it's been adjusted to its original pitch). The higher pitch in audio just ruins the entire table (for me). If FS is suppose to fully emulate an actual table in TPA, they could at least lower the audio pitch for the tables I said earlier in this thread.

Think about it, do you feel the voices in an actual pinball machine sound much lower than they do in TPA? Does the music seem a little off pitch when you hear them in TPA compared to the actual machine? If you do understand me, then join forces with me to fix this minor flaw in TPA.

I'd love for this to be fixed. But sadly, it would require re-recording all the soundtracks for those affected tables. And just for the record, the sound is not emulated (too costly processing wise). All audio is extracted from the table and streamed using the FarSight Audio Streamer.

Do a search for the Audio threads on the forum. They are interesting reads from a technical standpoint.

PC.Doctor

Jul 22, 2013
What device are you talking about?
For android an audio quality increase has been requested for a long time...
On pc I think it sounds fine, with a big sound system at least ^^

When i play on my android tablet the sound is ok through the little speakers... just ok... but if I put headphones you realize the quality is pretty bad.

This is for all the devices.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
There's a particular issue with this on High Speed, where it is most noticeable during the bonus count at the end of a ball... but only on iOS (from what I can tell). As the bonus sound pitches up naturally in the game, there's a notable breaking up of the sample, but on PC it's fine.

I haven't checked, but has the pitch of the audio been fixed on the PC version across all tables?

PS. The audio wouldn't need to be re-recorded, just stretched slightly :) It sucks when you notice things get out of sync like DMD animations (particularly blinking awards/messages with warning sounds).

Last edited:

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012

I touched on this a while back; I'm not sure where they're at on this issue.

PC.Doctor

Jul 22, 2013
Lets put it this way. When you were a child and you watched your favorite movie so many times it's in your head. Few years later, you see that movie on YT. However, the audio's pitch is higher (you were used to what you heard as a child) and it somewhat doesn't feel the same.

The same can go to pinball if you played the actual tables before playing them on TPA. Think back to a table that was nostalgic to you, the audio, the characters, gameplay...etc. A few years have passed and you see your table on TPA. You play that table and you feel the audio is off-pitch (the sync is in place and all, it's just the pitch is too high).

Does the higher pitch audio gives you the feeling you watched this as a child? Does it feel nostalgic that even such a minor flaw exists?

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Lets put it this way. When you were a child and you watched your favorite movie so many times it's in your head. Few years later, you see that movie on YT. However, the audio's pitch is higher (you were used to what you heard as a child) and it somewhat doesn't feel the same.

The same can go to pinball if you played the actual tables before playing them on TPA. Think back to a table that was nostalgic to you, the audio, the characters, gameplay...etc. A few years have passed and you see your table on TPA. You play that table and you feel the audio is off-pitch (the sync is in place and all, it's just the pitch is too high).

Does the higher pitch audio gives you the feeling you watched this as a child? Does it feel nostalgic that even such a minor flaw exists?

It would be great if it was fixed.

It did bug me at first, but after I understood the technical limitations FarSight introduced by not emulating sound, it kind of dropped off my "give a crap" list and onto my "some day maybe" list.

starck

Jun 7, 2012
Yeah, the thing about this is, technical limitations, according to farsight, exist only on the mobile devices. So I completely agree- there's only so much that can be done for the mobile platforms (if at all)- they're clearly pushing the limits (and doing a great job).

But really, there's a huge, huge discrepancy and issue here. Other platforms (e.g., non-mobile) should not be experiencing sound issues (or degradation in sound quality). They've got more than enough processing power to do it. It's simply up to farsight to implement it for each platform....they did it for the PC...now do it for everything else....

IMHO They REALLY need to fix the sound issues for other capable platforms as well...xbox/ps3/ps4/mac, etc. As of now the sound engines are more like ports of the mobile versions and seem to be merely an afterthought.

Sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the sound from the PC version. :/

PS - re: Jared- I feel ya. Yeah- I haven't heard anything from them for a long long time about actually addressing the sound issues on any of the capable platforms. It seems like they are not addressing it, do not care, are not aware of the issue, or are actually working on it....who knows....basically it seems like the PS3 team has NEVER acknowledged the issue, or that it was going to be fixed. And nobody from Farsight can give a straight answer, if any answer. I've asked several people, several times. I'm fed up, and it's pretty much a deal breaker for the game for me. It sounds really bad on a stereo, or any pair of suitable headphones, compared to the PC version.

Last edited:

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
In another thread I think it was Mike Reitmeyer that said that fixing the audio has been more difficult than they anticipated but that they are working on it and it is a high priority for them. If it wasn't Mike then it was another FS employee.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
But really, there's a huge, huge discrepancy and issue here. Other platforms (e.g., non-mobile) should not be experiencing sound issues (or degradation in sound quality). They've got more than enough processing power to do it. It's simply up to farsight to implement it for each platform....they did it for the PC...now do it for everything else....

Yes. That's too bad... Knowing that the sound quality is way much better in PHoF (on ToTAN, it's day and night).

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
You guys might want to have a listen to the upcoming podcast #8 where shutyertrap interviews Norman, the producer and sound guy...

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts