Flight 2000 & Goin' Nuts

Vyrastas

Mar 26, 2013
I'm an old-timer too, grew up playing Atari 2600 and NES. And I like trophies and still play for fun, so figure that out.

It's hard to buy something without trophies/achievements anymore, though... they are mandatory for those platforms. This is a unique situation.

Per the topic, though... I was hoping the pack would be out this week, but I can wait.

Last edited:

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
I really don't care about trophies/achievements in general, but it's a good way to have a permanent record of your goals in TPA.

I'm not going to stop playing TPA if they can't add more trophies, but if local data needs to be wiped for the "major" patch, they would be useful.

pinbot-76

Jul 11, 2012
Trophies? I don't pay any attention to that crap. I can't begin to compete against the multitudes of people with more free time, because they win every time. What little gaming time I have is dedicated to my own fun.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I chase score and I like to boost my Hall of Fame score by competing Wizard Goals.

There's even a leaderboards for that. That's two forms of Achievements right there.

I stopped caring about actual achievements/trophies back in 2010.

DarkAkatosh

May 23, 2012
If you guys are going to diss trophies you might as well do the same thing to high scores and wizard goals.

I'm sorry you don't get enjoyment from trophies, but the majority of PS3 players do.

I've said it many times before and I'll say it again, trophies are the ultimate form of high score keeping.

Long after Farsight closes down the PS3 servers your trophies will live on with the PS4, and so on. Some of those wizard goals were tough and I like to keep track of which ones I've completed. I've already lost the game save due to one of Farsight's glitches, but my trophies remain as proof and its good to know glitches and/or updates will never erase trophies.

Weather you like them or not they have become a standard feature on the PS3/Vita and add extra value for players.

That being said, you can say what you want about them being lame, useless, stupid, etc., but there is hard evidence that games and DLC without trophies don't sell as well, as most PS3 gamers DO want them.

Please tell me how trophies are the same thing as high scores.

LOLWUT? So having 3000 trophies makes you a better player than someone who has 2950? What? I don't see a trophy for my 266M score on MM where I missed BFtK by three shots, and I was 70 something in the world at the time I got that score. I also don't see a trophy for my pinball wizard friend and his 335 billion score on STTNG, his 1.2B score on MM, and all of the other tables where I think I did amazing and there he is(coughrbioncough), with a score that's way better than mine.

PS3 servers =/= PS4. PSN is a universal network. Servers are provided by the developers themselves not Sony. If you want to save your high scores forever and ever, back up your save file to the PS+ Cloud or a thumb drive. That way once the servers go down or for some reason your console dies they're there.

Yes most PS3/V players do want trophies and I respect that, but to waive your support for a company that provides an overall great product because of something they cannot control is absolutely ridiculous.

One more thing. I can draw you a gold trophy in crayon, write down some achievements for you, and when you get them I'll scan it and post it on imgur with your name on it for the world to see. Same thing as PSN trophies. Worthless bits of data stored on a server.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I don't care at all about trophies but I won't knock anyone that does. Everyone has their own motivations and find their own path to fun and happiness.

Jericho

Jul 25, 2013
Trophy limits are more about points than the quantity of trophies, though. While TPA has less trophies than Uncharted 3, it has more points. TPA has 2400 points while U3 is 2190. So perhaps 2400 is the limit for PSN games overall? I don't know of any other game that's come close to 2400 points. Either way, that's kind of dumb on Sony's part, I'm not sure what the point of having a limit on trophy points is.

Looking at PSNProfiles.com both DC Universe Online and Spelunker HD have over 2400 points.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
Please tell me how trophies are the same thing as high scores.

Its very simple actually. High scores, wizard goals, trophies/achievements, how long you last in a game, "beating" a game, how much time it took you to finish, who won the match, how many matches you won.. they're all about the same thing - competition.

Each is a way to measure what you've done in a game or games against a standard. The standard you're measuring against might be your own personal records, beating a friend, beating the computer/AI, or whatever, it doesn't really matter. Every time we play a game we do it for the purpose of trying to do something, its just a matter of what the something is that we choose to try for. Once you understand that it should become clear that different people will value different goals to strive for based on what form of competition they personally enjoy.

Last edited:

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
Its very simple actually. High scores, wizard goals, trophies/achievements, how long you last in a game, "beating" a game, how much time it took you to finish, who one the match, how many matches you won.. they're all about the same thing - competition.

Each is a way to measure what you've done in a game or games against a standard. The standard you're measuring against might be your own personal records, beating a friend, beating the computer/AI, or whatever, it doesn't really matter. Every time we play a game we do it for the purpose of trying to do something, its just a matter of what the something is that we choose to try for. Once you understand that it should become clear that different people will value different goals to strive for based on what form of competition they personally enjoy.

THIS!! I agree with everything you said, ER777! I really don't get why people rag on trophies/achievements. It adds virtual incentive and replay value to the game. Some people like it, some people don't. It's their preference at the end of the day. I happen to like trophies. Will I not purchase a table pack because the trophies aren't there? No! I like TPA and will continue to support them. However, I am saddened that there is a possibility that trophies won't be there. Believe it or not people, some gamers buy games simply for the trophy count and gamerscore. That's the age we live in now. Whether you feel it's stupid or not.

Palmer Eldritch

Dec 17, 2012
I chase score and I like to boost my Hall of Fame score by competing Wizard Goals.

There's even a leaderboards for that. That's two forms of Achievements right there.

I stopped caring about actual achievements/trophies back in 2010.

Too bad us ps3 plebs don't have a Hall of Fame score.

so basically you don't know what you are talking about.

why people who don't even play on ps3 come in here and post bull**** is beyond me

Palmer Eldritch

Dec 17, 2012
sorry in advance if I came across as too harsh in the previous post but it just irritates me how often I see those lucky patricians mentioning things that aren't in the ps3 version here on the ps3 forum like the latest tournament or something... I see a topic/post about a tournament and rush to my ps3 and then reality hits. frankly, it rustles my jimmies.

Last edited:

Vyrastas

Mar 26, 2013
Looking at PSNProfiles.com both DC Universe Online and Spelunker HD have over 2400 points.

Good catch. Since those have platinums, I'm guessing there's a difference in limit between platinum and non-platinum games.

Its very simple actually. High scores, wizard goals, trophies/achievements, how long you last in a game, "beating" a game, how much time it took you to finish, who one the match, how many matches you won.. they're all about the same thing - competition.

Agreed. Trophies are no different than online leaderboards, in my opinion. You're doing the same thing... showing someone else that "I can do that too," whether it's by beating someone else's score or getting the same trophy as them.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
I don't mind people chasing trophies in general, but if you won't play pinball because you don't get trophies, that's just beyond what I can grasp. At least if you're interested in pinball enough to register in a pinball gaming forum. If trophies are important because they are saved for future viewing, why not take a photo of your high scores and wizard goals on your tv, then you can even print them out and hang on your wall for ever!

Startyde

Nov 1, 2012
Trophies are no different then the advent of the "hard mode" in many games. They are a way to test yourself and to record those who took the time and effort. People tend to bash trophies because they feel left out, when in reality, they are simply another option to increase the appeal of a game. No one should celebrate the removal of features just because you don't partake.

Someone else brought up the point but I'll reiterate, as someone with a PC, Phone, Tablet and PS3 / Vita, I have many options to play Pinball Arcade. I would pay for PS3/ Vita because it was fun to work towards the trophies. But if they're no longer supported, I'll probably just stick to the free versions on mobile until I find the time / interest to pay full price. I'm just one person, but anyone who enjoyed the game for these reasons will think similarly, and it does translate to short term sales.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts