Future Pinball

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
While still waiting for some new PA PS3 action, I decided to give old FP a go again. Well, I gotta say it's just about the biggest c*ck tease there is. You got a really nice collection of recreations and original tables for FREE. They just don't feel right. That's the best way I can describe it. They just don't FEEL right. It's the flipper physics. I can never make the same shot. I can never cradle a ball, then make a shot. Hell, FP is harder and more unpredictable than the real thing, IMO. It's such a shame because many of the FP tables rival the Pinball Arcade in the graphical department. Especially some of the kick ass lighting effects on Slamt1lt's ULTRA tables like Centaur and Flash Gordon. If anyone knows how to easily improve the flipper physics, please let me know.

On a side note I did play a little Revenge from Attack from Mars on VP9, a mix of Revenge's playfield with Attack's rules. Physics are really good. Graphics not so much.

Punisher

Jan 5, 2013
I looked into FP. I downloaded a bunch of tables that piqued my interest, and I've learned that it's just... ghastly for SS tables. Electromechanical ones played somewhat fine, but good god. I'll stick with TPA.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Well, all right! This is my favorite FP table.

The Ultra Edition of Centaur 1.02.

The table comes with updated physics which are way better than the standard.
I play FP with very high quality settings. Graphics and sound effects are freakin awesome.

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
FP to me is such a disappointment.

Admittedly with the physics tweaks that come with that table it looks like it could be pretty enjoyable but while it's such a beautiful engine, with lighting to drool over, i find the ball to be way too floaty. Typically you can see it kicked out to the plunger and have to wait for it to fall in what seems like moon gravity to the plunger.

Albeit, this version of Centaur does not seem to have that issue thankfully, it looks to be a very well done table.
I dont mean in any way to belittle the hard work and amazing results I've seen table authors pull off with it though.

In all fairness though here's about the best side-by-side comparison I know between FP and a real table. In good hands it's not terrible.

The author (Rawd) mentions that his VP version plays more like the real table, though it could also be due to experience.

Last edited:

Longi

May 30, 2013
Oh dear,

FP looks so stunning.
The installation is simple.
The DMD/Backglass support and the portrait view are superb (with BAM).
The SoundFX are clear and crisp in high quality.

But the Physic....and the Egg(pin)ball...ruins the experience!

---

VP looks flat and oldschool.
The Physics are good and the DMD/Backglass support are superb too.
The installation is freaky & tricky.
The sounds are ROM-based and often scratchy.

----

Zen Pinball reminds me on old Sierra Pinball Tables = unrealistic adventure Pinball Tables.
But its funny and the Physic are okay. Meantime you can switch the DMD to a second monitor via a config.file.
Yeah i had a lot of fun with ZenPinball till TPA comes in.

--

Wow...TPA is a nice Pinball Simulation with very good Physics, nice 3D Graphics and good SoundFX.
The lack of sharp Textures, average lighting, missing DMD/Backglass support and dull SoundFX makes me sad....

...because there is not the perfect Pinball Simulation out there (imo).
Its a pity! :mad:

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Yeah. And some people are never happy ;)
No really Inam a deby drowner myself, or how you us people call your children psychology book characters. If you are just happy about everything no matter what great perfection can not be achieved.
I feel like quite the optimist that I still see the potential in tpa. With some love it could really be outstanding. But hey....
VP10 will be really a step further I guess, Pro pinball if it gets ever released, unit3d, ... competition is still up.

Garycope

Nov 5, 2013
What happened with future pinball?
I remember when future pinball was so easy to setup. Put table in table folder and other files in library folder and play. Now there are so many different physics engines and each table uses different ones. There is BAM witch controls the engines. I load a table and it starts to load and it never starts! It's now as difficult as visual pinball to play. I always thought software should be made easier to use as it evolves not more difficult. I always enjoyed FP but now I think I'll stick with TPA.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
deja vu, no? i like your point man tbh the vp and fp community got the fire under the arse lit by tpa imnsho unfirtunately theres no teguard to a unfifed design hence the 101 depenacies, they all nrw a major e gine overhall. zen zaccaria and tpa areplug and play, ive no point kther than u ca. even be arsed with vp any a d **** star trek tng just saying

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Yeah it took me like 1 year to find the time to properly setup VP :p
But now I'm rollin...

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.