Game Data migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

PinPipe

May 26, 2013
Hi guys

I just got me a new nexus 7. Backing up my software was no problem, so far.
The only thing I wonder about is how to get my game data over to the new device. All my table-goals are lost...

Anybody out there who can lend me a helping hand?

Greetings from Hamburg

Kai

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Greetings also,

The games saved data is held at the following location

SAVE DATA = /DATA/DATA/COM.FARSIGHT.ANDROIDPINBALL.JAVAPROJECT/FILES/saved_data

This holds local high scores and achieved goals.

But... It's a root access only location, so if you aren't rooted, you can't see it. Unless someone knows another way which I'd be grateful for.
For example, my tablet is rooted, so I can get at that data, I can move it to my other Android phone which isn't rooted, but I can't put the data into the correct location for it to be read.

Oh for a non-root access data location - or Google play framework.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
You'll need a FarSight account for what I'm about to tell you to do.

While logged into to your FarSight account on the old device, go to the main menu, select Options, scroll to the bottom. Choose "Backup Save Data", choose the "Remote" option, let it do its thing. Your data is now on FarSight's server. Then exit TPA.

Open TPA on your new device, login to your FarSight account, go to the main menu, select Options, scroll to the bottom. Choose "Restore Save Data", choose the "Remote" option, let it do its thing. Your data is now on your new device.

N

netizen

even a non-google play frame work, if there were an option to sync the save data to a cloud storage, like drop box, would be a nice touch.

Sean, iOS has that option. android doesn't

PinPipe

May 26, 2013
Thank you all for this first round of replies.

Actually I'm not rooted yet. (Though thinking about it.)
And indeed, "Backup Save Data" is iOS exclusive.

Think first I'll check, if Helium Backup might help.
Gotta get home from work to do so.

But also open for further ideas...

Last edited:
N

netizen

Really? I guess I just assumed that Ryan had added it to Android at some point. I wonder why he hasn't.

Android hasn't had the issue that iOS has had with updates causing loss of data, so there was no need to implement that feature on the Android side was the reason given.

PinPipe

May 26, 2013
Can confirm now:

Helium Backup works fine for data migration without root.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Can confirm now:

Helium Backup works fine for data migration without root.

I'm guessing you don't have a lot of tables installed.

Here's my experience using Helium with TPA.
Install went fine on both rooted N7 & un-rooted SGS4.
Initiated sync on S4 from N7, it's syncing everything so that is apk, data, scores, so with all table packs thats 680mb via wifi device to device. You can't just say sync score data.
Tried 4 syncs - 4 failed.
Last one looked like it worked but it actually screwed up the apps data as the in game cameras were totally corrupted when tried.
Ended up doing a full app data wipe, uninstall & reinstall on the S4.

I've requested a refund personally.

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012

Initiated sync on S4 from N7, it's syncing everything so that is apk, data, scores, so with all table packs thats 680mb via wifi device to device. You can't just say sync score data.
Last one looked like it worked but it actually screwed up the apps data as the in game cameras were totally corrupted when tried.

That seems to be a problem with this latest release, Previously backing up data for TPA would only do local scores and goals amounting to about 106k. In version 1.19 for some reason it is now also taking tables along with the score backups. This problem exists in Titanium as well. Ive gotten around this by deleting the tables in the manage table menu then backing up. Of course its a bit of a hassle but if you need to migrate that does work.

On a side note this issue with the tables backing up instead of just scores also happened during the t2 beta, but was resolved in the final release. Maybe it is something left over from the beta release that can be commented out. Maybe Ryan can check that out.

Last edited:

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
That seems to be a problem with this latest release, Previously backing up data for TPA would only do local scores and goals amounting to about 106k. In version 1.19 for some reason it is now also taking tables along with the score backups. This problem exists in Titanium as well. Ive gotten around this by deleting the tables in the manage table menu then backing up. Of course its a bit of a hassle but if you need to migrate that does work.

On a side note this issue with the tables backing up instead of just scores also happened during the t2 beta, but was resolved in the final release. Maybe it is something left over from the beta release that can be commented out. Maybe Ryan can check that out.

That how I hoped it would work, just syncing saved_data file and maybe the apk. Not 680mb inc table data.
Thanks for the info!

PinPipe

May 26, 2013

I actually own all tables.
But indeed I had all deinstalled before migration. So Helium had to copy only my game data.
Afterwards I installed my tables from within TPA and, alas, all tables worked with my before transferred data.

But Helium indeed seems to have problems with apps which generate a huge amount of data. Backing up my navigation app with some maps installed caused problems, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.