Bug GB lag after PP release

Kampfhendl

Nov 23, 2013
ITS STILL LAGGING !

Farsight does not give a damn about the support, the main thing is always new tables. I bought GB and want it to work damn!

Bulldozer

Jun 16, 2018
I've successfully made Ghostbusters playable with i5 6500 and i7 7700k with a simple process affinity trick.

Launch TPA and go to task manager -> right click PinballArcade11.exe -> set affinity -> untick one cpu -> ok.
You can even go tick it back and the table won't start juddering. It needs at least 3 cpu cores to run properly and it doesn't matter much if those 3 cores are real cores or not.

Personally I set it to real cores on the i7 7700k and handle the automation with nircmd in my ahk magic script like so:
nircmd.exe setprocessaffinity "PinballArcade11.exe" 0 2 4 6

With i5 6500 I used cores 0 1 2.

I had to register since no one still hasn't mentioned it here and I've been having reliable fun with the table for months now. Hope it helps out!

Last edited:

Nomorestalker

Feb 19, 2013
I've successfully made Ghostbusters playable with i5 6500 and i7 7700k with a simple process affinity trick.

Launch TPA and go to task manager -> right click PinballArcade11.exe -> set affinity -> untick one cpu -> ok.
You can even go tick it back and the table won't start juddering. It needs at least 3 cpu cores to run properly and it doesn't matter much if those 3 cores are real cores or not.

Personally I set it to real cores on the i7 7700k and handle the automation with nircmd in my ahk magic script like so:
nircmd.exe setprocessaffinity "PinballArcade11.exe" 0 2 4 6

With i5 6500 I used cores 0 1 2.

I had to register since no one still hasn't mentioned it here and I've been having reliable fun with the table for months now. Hope it helps out!

I'll try this tonight. The stern version runs smooth *with the exceptions that it won't let me use keyboard controls* but I've always had issues with the tpa version.

MBeeching

Oct 4, 2018
Sigh, now it is Mustang that needs the same fix..

Thought Mustang was okay, I'll have to run some hardware benchmarks. Annoyingly it's one of the few modern Stern's which I don't currently own on PC (TPA/SPA), the trial should be sufficient if I can keep my score down. The SPA VR version seems to run well, no performance complaints though there are a couple of cropped DMD animations.

MBeeching

Oct 4, 2018
Sigh, now it is Mustang that needs the same fix..

Out of interest what are your hardware specs? Just ran some hardware tests on my laptop (Intel 6200u / HD 520) and everything seems okay on Mustang.

CPU and GPU usage were low (21%/72% respectively). A 2.0GHz dual-core CPU with bog standard GPU and 4gb RAM 'should' be sufficient for 60fps on this table - it certainly doesn't use 4+ threads like some other modern Stern's I've benchmarked this year.

Mustang / TPA 1.71.17 / DX11 / 1600x900
must.png

Tried restricting performance with maximum power savings enabled and capped my CPU at 50% and that also caused no performance issues, neither did limiting maximum clock speeds to 2.0 GHz.

The last problematic table I tested was Whoa Nellie, not sure if that has been updated recently. BBH was nothing out of the ordinary. The newer Stern's do require more VRAM, if you have less than 2gb some cards may struggle if the resolution and MSAA settings are too set too high (e.g. 1440p/2160p).

Last edited:

Bulldozer

Jun 16, 2018
Out of interest what are your hardware specs? Just ran some hardware tests on my laptop (Intel 6200u / HD 520) and everything seems okay on Mustang.
i7 7700k + GTX 970 + 8GB ram, Windows 7, TPA on secondary display (portrait 1920x1200) with Freecam, Power settings forced on high performance both on CPU and GPU, DX11 with MSAA 4 + Aniso 16. I also use windowed mode with aero disabled for the ultimate minimum input delay. And of course some autohotkey-magic to remove the borders and position the window so it looks exactly like fullscreen mode.

The CPU+GPU usages were nowhere near the ceiling or what Ghostbusters demands, but Mustang did ran ok for a while and then started to drop frames very heavily. No other table so far did this and the affinity trick worked as expected.

Last edited:

MBeeching

Oct 4, 2018
i7 7700k + GTX 970 + 8GB ram, Windows 7, TPA on secondary display (portrait 1920x1200) with Freecam, Power settings forced on high performance both on CPU and GPU, DX11 with MSAA 4 + Aniso 16. I also use windowed mode with aero disabled for the ultimate minimum input delay. And of course some autohotkey-magic to remove the borders and position the window so it looks exactly like fullscreen mode.

The CPU+GPU usages were nowhere near the ceiling or what Ghostbusters demands, but Mustang did ran ok for a while and then started to drop frames very heavily. No other table so far did this and the affinity trick worked as expected.

The plot thickens, I'll run some further tests on my desktop as that's a more comparable setup (i7 4770k / 980 Ti / 16gb RAM / Win 10). I usually run that rig at: 3840x2160 / 4x MSAA / 16x Aniso, though I tend to use full screen mode with driver v-sync enabled. Everything else in the Nvidia Control Panel is geared towards max image quality with pre-rendered frames set to 1.

Not a fan of High Performance power profiles, especially if they accidentally set the minimum processor state to 100%, might be worth checking as it could lead to throttling. Balanced plans do the job unless you're into extreme benchmarking or battery saving tweaks on laptops.

Historically a few of these tables (inc. Ghostbusters) had very poor CPU management, they push a single thread to completely unnecessary levels then frame rates are crippled when there's too much heat or no additional headroom.

Bulldozer

Jun 16, 2018
Not a fan of High Performance power profiles, especially if they accidentally set the minimum processor state to 100%, might be worth checking as it could lead to throttling. Balanced plans do the job unless you're into extreme benchmarking or battery saving tweaks on laptops.
Nope, I've made sure no throttling occurs. Of course I don't use high performance on normal everyday usage, but only for gaming.

With this CPU on the MSI B150M PRO-VD I did have to disable "Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor" from the bios to stop throttling and frame pacing issues even when the temperatures were in the normal range. This CPU is a volcano anyway though and eventually I delidded it with flying colors.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.