Got a Taxi! Magic Eraser and Wax ONLY

thejake01

Mar 17, 2012
Hello Guys!

I've been reading alot about this lately as we got a Taxi that overall really isn't that bad, it all works after me putzing with it for only an hour or so (piston to arm on right slingshot coil was disconnected and spring to wire for ball gate was disconnected) so now its CLEANIN' TIME!

Been reading a ton about the magic eraser stuff which I did a small spot in the outlane and it did help alot but everyone says to clear coat / mylar or whatever afterwards. I'm wondering if you guys are aware of anyone just keeping it waxed after using the ME & 91% alcohol and what kind of wear I'm looking at.

Is it going to deteriorate to nothing? Will it be OK? Am I looking at problems 5-10 years down the road?

More Novus #2 and some other cleaners coming so I can go over it real well first but there's a bunch of ball circles and this looks like my only option (and so far has been working great I just don't want to trash the machine long term).

Thanks!
-Jake

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
This is a new technique to me, Jake.

http://arcadearchive.com/pinball/magic/magic.htm is one example that I'm sure you've also come across.

So you're saying that you can use the ME to remove ball circles (that is the marks left on the playfiled) and then potentially seal that with mylar or clear coat?

So this technique is gentler than sanding, but gets the solenoid dust out of all the playfield imperfections, therefore improving the look of the playfield without major surgery?

Last edited:

thejake01

Mar 17, 2012
Yes exactly so the ball circles get dirt in them which the normal cleaners don't take out so you clean with the magic eraser and alcohol gently and slowly or you'll take up the paint.

This guy lays it out real well too: http://www.pinrepair.com/restore/index3.htm#me in good detail!

Basically as it cleans up the dirt it also takes off some of the coat on the paint/wood so if you keep going you inevitably take up the paint. Alot of people say to clear coat or mylar afterwards but I'm wondering if I'll be OK doing just wax or if its all going to go to the birds.

I got another Novus set (SFII needed LOTS of Novus), Mill Wax, CP-100 and I got some Johnson's paste wax at menards (I use Carnuba on the SFII). The mylar is decent on Taxi but the areas that are not mylar need some help, and the ball circles are prevalent. Its got a Marilyn PF/rom and Lola backglass.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I think because the process takes a bit of the clear coat off the playfield, you will see some differences in the appearance of the playfield. In this instance, a clear coat or mylar layer over the surface will return the surface to how it looked originally - high gloss. Because mylar would adhere well to the finely abraided surface created by the ME, the mylar would appear to be "clear"

If you are applying this technique to areas outside of the business areas (flippers, pops, return lane impact points) be wary that applying mylar to a playfield does create a slightly raised edge. For balls not travelling fast over the area, this will result in a very slight directional change.

You may notice that some playfield have mylar semicircles near the slingshots. Think how the ball moves in this area, and you'll see what I mean.

I know that on Big Hurt by Gottlieb, there is a mylar layer that covers all the sling and upper playfield.

The interesting thing is that where the mylar ends, it is lifting up a little bit. Even with this little imperfection, the ball does not alter course. So if you prepare the playfield properly, and cut the mylar with a scalpel (for a nice clean edge) you should be good.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I tried the magic eraser thing on HS and I had great success in one area with it (brought out the swirls beautifully) then I tried it again closer to the centre of the playfield and it was starting to bring paint up where the swirls were. I don't think I did anything differently, but just let this serve as a warning: be careful!

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I tried the magic eraser thing on HS and I had great success in one area with it (brought out the swirls beautifully) then I tried it again closer to the centre of the playfield and it was starting to bring paint up where the swirls were. I don't think I did anything differently, but just let this serve as a warning: be careful!

Must have been thinner in that area perhaps?

thejake01

Mar 17, 2012
Just got a couple more parts to get before we remove some things to get back there for a good cleaning, will let you guys know how it goes. Going to have to be really careful because theres more than a couple spots where some paint is gone and I don't want to make it much worse if at all if possible.

thejake01

Mar 17, 2012
Back and forth with the wood grain is my understanding.

Just got the plastic set (and found out there's a film on the back and front of the reproduction plastics, opened up the package and about flipped out lol so FYI). Got the left ramp, flipper kit / coils, cleaners... just need the right ramp then going to figure out when its all going down. I'll let you guys know how it goes!!

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
You should be able to gauge her reaction but if not just ask her which she prefers Carl :D

:p

Back and forth with the wood grain is my understanding.

Just got the plastic set (and found out there's a film on the back and front of the reproduction plastics, opened up the package and about flipped out lol so FYI). Got the left ramp, flipper kit / coils, cleaners... just need the right ramp then going to figure out when its all going down. I'll let you guys know how it goes!!

So did you use Magic Eraser in the end?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.