Hockey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Well as a german who lives thousand of miles away from where it all happens, I don't really have anything to do with any american or canadian city. But you just have to pick a team to root for, when you follow a league. And the Sharks thing started for me in 90s, when I was a teenager and got my first EA Sports NHL Hockey. My interest in IT, gave me sympathy for the Silicon Valley. And bay area thrash metal also had an huge impact on my life. So back in the days I just picked the team, that is located closest to the stuff I like.

@Superballs
These are Randy Hahn & Drew Remenda, right? They do all the Sharks games on comcast California during reg. season.

can't wait for tonight's game.. starts at 4:00 AM but I don't have to work tomorrow. ;)

That they are. Seriously, until you made me search for it I thought they were just a couple gererics like they used to use for the NFL 2k series.

That said...that's one of the coolest "how i adopted my team" stories ever.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Well as a german who lives thousand of miles away from where it all happens, I don't really have anything to do with any american or canadian city. But you just have to pick a team to root for, when you follow a league. And the Sharks thing started for me in 90s, when I was a teenager and got my first EA Sports NHL Hockey. My interest in IT, gave me sympathy for the Silicon Valley. And bay area thrash metal also had an huge impact on my life. So back in the days I just picked the team, that is located closest to the stuff I like.

@Superballs
These commentators Randy Hahn & Drew Remenda do all the Sharks games on Comcast SportsNet California during reg. season.

can't wait for tonight's game.. starts at 4:00 AM but I don't have to work tomorrow. ;)

Also, their logo is badass.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
My favorite one, is the old (not vintage) Pittsburgh logo.
200px-Pittsburghpenguinslogo90s.svg.png

There was no need to change it. :)

superballs

Apr 12, 2012

At my cousin's high school shirts with their logo were banned for being "too violent" we all had a good laugh at that. (This was in the 90s before everyone jumped on the sanitized society train)

I think there was a pretty big outcry to return to their previous logo...that angry skating penguin (A penguin that can skate...amazing!!!) That said, both are pretty sweet.

Other teams with awesome logos:

Winnipeg Jets new logo
Florida Panthers
Phoenix Coyotes
Detroit Redwings
Chicago Blackhawks (after these two i think the rest of the O'6 team logos are pretty lame)

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012

Yeah that's the Pens "pigeon" logo. Majority of Pens' fans hated it, me included. Now I look back on it with a nostalgic eye and sort of like it, but still glad they changed back to the current logo. But I don't like the muted (washed out lol) gold/yellow they use now. I like the bright yellow. There is rumors that the bright yellow will be back for 3rd jersey next season, since the blue is retired.

this one:
ccm_pittsburgh_penguins_vintage_jersey.jpg

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I always liked the logo on the Lemieux jersey above. I know a lot of people hated it, but I thought it was great. And that's coming from a Flyers fan.
The other logo wasn't nearly as fun.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012

Being Dutch, I'm much in the same pickle. And I picked my first favourite team in much the same way: through NHL. Jagr and Lemieux were the kings of the ice at the time. I always loved Hockey but only got to enjoy it through either the NHL games or live during the Olympics.

That however changed when I got older, and I figured I "should" pick a proper canadian team (I hadquite a few online canadian friends, plus: always root for the underdog!). Once I got to know my wife (she's canadian) I picked Vancouver (she lived in the Okanagan valley) as my team..I can't remember if that was before or after I visited the city. Pretty sure it was before...
Anyway I became a fan (for much the same reason as Biff: to follow a league you have to pick a team to support so you get to give a damn) was just after they acquired Luongo and before Kesler and Burrows had their breakout year and the Canucks as a whole were on the rise of becoming one of the better teams (and came sooooo damn close to the Stanley Cup last year) and I was in bed in the middle of the night listening to internet-radio broadcasts (I also had ESPN America untill last year..it was a cheap package untill 18 months ago, so I got to wach HNIC). The olympic final was one of my highlights in sport of the last decade partly due to the very strong Vancouver connection.

Didnt have much time to follow the league this year around. I basically started to pay attention during playoff time....and well ...suffice to say I didnt need to pay attention long...

Killer whales **** up sharks any day of the week!

Last edited:

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Once I got to know my wife (she's canadian) I picked Vancouver

Bwahahahaha... sorry.

The problem I have with the Canucks is more their Canadian fans (well, those that live around Vancouver, and in BC). They are some of the most arrogant, whiny little *****es you'll ever meet. I'm friends with a number of Canucks fans, and I just don't talk hockey with them so I don't have to hear about how their team "deserves" to win a cup. You'd think in the 40+ years of being in the NHL they would have won it... but nope!

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Bwahahahaha... sorry.

The problem I have with the Canucks is more their Canadian fans (well, those that live around Vancouver, and in BC). They are some of the most arrogant, whiny little *****es you'll ever meet. I'm friends with a number of Canucks fans, and I just don't talk hockey with them so I don't have to hear about how their team "deserves" to win a cup. You'd think in the 40+ years of being in the NHL they would have won it... but nope!

I can guarantee you that montreal fans are worse. Look up the recent incident where a girl was told she couldn't wear her ottawa jersey at school because it was montreal jersey day.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Bwahahahaha... sorry.

Myea, well...when I look at games I dont hear their fans, so I wouldnt know much about that. My wife doesnt even support vancouver. I just like(d) their style of hockey in the last 5/6 years. Especially the Kesler-Burrows tandem and watching the Sedins cycle. But damn the whole lot tend to choke during playoffs...

Chicago is my second favourite team...weirdly enough since they knocked out Van for the first team a few years back.

Last edited:

MarkItZeroSmoky

May 26, 2013
Black Hawks have THE coolest jersey in any sport. Hopefully they will win it all again this year.

I'll second that statement! ;) Game 7 comes back to the Madhouse on Wednesday! Chicago/Detroit are always a great series and I expect this game to be one of the best ive watched in my 30+ years of being a Hawks fan! Let's go HAWKS! WHOO! :D

Last edited:

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Go Blackhawks!

wow they tied? Weren they 1-3 behind? I figured that was done and over with...no way they would go 3 in a row against Detroit.

edit: wow and in pretty spectacular fashion too from the looks of it 2-1 behind in periode 3....

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
wow they tied? Weren they 1-3 behind? I figured that was done and over with...no way they would go 3 in a row against Detroit.

edit: wow and in pretty spectacular fashion too from the looks of it 2-1 behind in periode 3....

Yes, it was insane! After their historic start to the season, I think they can pull this off and go all the way.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts