How to nudge a real table?

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
Aren't they? I thought the older machines had these large clunky electronic parts, so they'd have to be stored in the cabinet AND the backbox, whereas the backbox of modern Sterns really only house the DMD-related parts, sound-related parts, the backbox lights, and, in RAM-intensive games like Rolling Stones, extra RAM, whereas everything else is at the bottom of the cabinet or the underside of the playfield.

stevevt

Mar 31, 2012
Aren't they? I thought the older machines had these large clunky electronic parts, so they'd have to be stored in the cabinet AND the backbox, whereas the backbox of modern Sterns really only house the DMD-related parts, sound-related parts, the backbox lights, and, in RAM-intensive games like Rolling Stones, extra RAM, whereas everything else is at the bottom of the cabinet or the underside of the playfield.

Sterns don't have any more under the playfield than machines from other makers. Compared to WMS games, they have fewer boards in the head because they've been able to combine multiple functions into a single board. They still essentially have all of the "usual" functions happening in the head.

Wizard of Oz, most (but I guess not all) of the Atari pins, and the upcoming Medieval Madness remake are all examples where some boards and functions that traditionally were in the head have moved to the cabinet.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I've heard stories of arcades bolting pins in place. I've never seen it though.
Not sure where I heard that, might have even been somewhere in this forum.
What you might be thinking of is (I think I heard this on a podcast somewhere?) that some places removed legs from EMs and bolted them directly to a platform at kid-height. That's the mental image I got from it, anyway.

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
Sterns don't have any more under the playfield than machines from other makers. Compared to WMS games, they have fewer boards in the head because they've been able to combine multiple functions into a single board. They still essentially have all of the "usual" functions happening in the head.

Wizard of Oz, most (but I guess not all) of the Atari pins, and the upcoming Medieval Madness remake are all examples where some boards and functions that traditionally were in the head have moved to the cabinet.

All right. Thanks for letting me know.

Do the modern machines weigh any less than the older ones?

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
All right. Thanks for letting me know.

Do the modern machines weigh any less than the older ones?
In general, I find they do (speaking strictly for Stern machines). I know I often tend to tilt out on a Stern if I've only played my own High Speed from 1986. So much heavier than a newer Stern.

I've even heard that newer Sterns (AC/DC, Star Trek, Metallica) are lighter than earlier new-generation Sterns like Ripley's Believe It or Not.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts