I want a real Pinball Machine

RetroBlast

Apr 17, 2012
After playing TPA, not only do I want to play a real machine, I eventually want to own one. They are expensive and if it broke down and needed tweaking, I would need someone to service it because I would not know what to do. I have been searching on the Internet to find where I can play real pinball in NYC and there are a few spots, now I can plan a pin trip and check out some real tables!

I have a home that I rent to vacationers in the summer but it remains dormant in the winter. That means I shut the heat off in the winter. Would a real machine be able to survive frigid winters or would the exposure to the cold cause the machine to have too many problems?

On the bright side, if I ever have the money to get one, since I would put in my rental home, it can be a business write off for taxes :p

Now that TPA is here, I will be able to try out many tables which will eventually help me decide which table I would want for my very own.

Who here has a real machine? Which one do you have? How often do you need it serviced?

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
I own two machines: Rollergames and Revenge From Mars. Generally pinball machines need quite a lot of maintenance! Of course you can always ignore some of the minor problems (blown out lamps, old rubbers) but after a while you will want to fix them... To be honest both of my machines are at a point, where I want to have them overhauled completely just because the gameplay is starting to feel less snappy and complete. If you have the money and the room go for it =) Pinball machines are a great investment as well, since most games will keep their value over time...

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The good news for you RB is that you like older machines, which are much cheaper than the DMD machines. Some of the newer tables can set you back a grand or two or more, but check Craigslist and you should be able to find some older tables at more affordable rates. I was so close to buying Space Shuttle on Craigslist for $650 (I talked the guy down from $750), but of course my wife talked me out of it, lol. If you go even older, I've seen fully working 60's-70's EM's go for next to nothing. You just have to be willing to be a deal hunter.

I'm with you though: one of the things that keeps me from buying pinball machines again is the maintenance. I suck with tools and I don't have enough extra money to be paying someone else to maintain them for me on a regular basis! Plus I live in a rural area, so I'd have to transport them quite a distance to have them serviced......but if you're willing to learn, there's a lot of good and free info out there in regards to maintaining them yourself.

Last edited:

RetroBlast

Apr 17, 2012
I think if I do get one it probably be either the BLACK HOLE or one of the three PINBOT tables. I was looking at companies selling tables that had major refurbishment going on with many new parts and they were clocking in at 3,000.00! At 50 cents a play, I'd have to get 6,000 plays out of it to pay for itself, and I would bet you, I probably would have to repair it a few times before that happens, adding more to the expense. But then again, all repairs would be a business write off too. On the bright side, where my house is, there are a lot of people working trades ... car mechanics, welders, machine work, electrical work ... so who knows, maybe these people can help rather than calling in a pinball expert into the mix ... well, I can't dream too much, for now, but it is certainly something I will look into in the future!

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
There is another expense - shipping, though if you live in NYC, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding deals locally. Professional refurbishments are extremely expensive. Even if you're not mechanically inclined (I'm not either), I'm sure you could, with good instructions, manage to replace a blown bulb or worn out rubber.
Unfortunately, I read an article recently about how dwindling supply and increased demand (due to those who grew up on DMD machines making lots of money) has made machine prices skyrocket, to the point where DMD machines that used to be under a thousand three years ago now go for 2-3 grand, and that's under the worst economy since the Great Depression. If the economy bounces back, expect that to go even higher!

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
My bucket list includes "buy a Funhouse machine" as one of the items. Yeah, they're expensive but I want one. Someday! Had a machine at my grandparents' house as a kid and also had one in our basement so I'm definitely used to having them around so I miss having a machine in the house :)

Tabe

RetroBlast

Apr 17, 2012
My lord! Will I ever get a Pin? Shipping, or even trucking it added on to that expense ........ but God I want the BLACK HOLE!

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
Maybe you can rent a pinball machine? Like a pub or snackbar. (i live in Holland, pinball machines can be found in many places like this, and they all rent the machines.

+ they bring home the machine and install it, and maintenance is all for them. And you can change the one you have for aanother one if youd like.

- the machine will never be yours. And at the end probably cost you more.

RetroBlast

Apr 17, 2012
There is no way you can do that here in the USA, especially NYC! But after much thought, I am really thinking about a Virtual Pinball Cabinet ... much less maintenance but certainly not cheap either!

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
If i buy a brand new in box machine at Sterns.

If on regular base, what are the maintenance costs (+-) in the first year? And 2nd and 3rd?

I have not a single clue how much money is involved.

Or can i buy a new machine like avatar pro edition, and then first year chance are great dont have maintanance at all?

RetroBlast

Apr 17, 2012
I would like someone who has a real table to address this as well .... how much maintenance are talking here? How often do things go wrong? How much money do you think you spend annually to maintain your table?

Laurence Merraine

May 14, 2012
I had two, a funhouse that needed so much tlc, I ended up parting it as at that stage there were no aftermarket ramps, overlays etc and had been totally neglected by the arcade owner. I would sell my second child to get one again, still attached to my first child...

Sold the second as we were moving overseas, was an Indiana jones.

Would buy a machine again in a heart beat.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
But after much thought, I am really thinking about a Virtual Pinball Cabinet ... much less maintenance but certainly not cheap either!
After seeing videos of a few in-action, this is kinda the way I'm leaning now as well. Skip the Funhouse cabinet and get a VP cabinet instead.

Tabe

Animator_pin_fan

Mar 4, 2012
My plan is to buy one real table (Funhouse and Twilight Zone are at the top of my list!) first and then build a virtual Pin cabinet to sit next to it. Virtual pinball is great, but the real thing is always better!!!

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
My plan is to buy one real table (Funhouse and Twilight Zone are at the top of my list!) first and then build a virtual Pin cabinet to sit next to it. Virtual pinball is great, but the real thing is always better!!!
That's a good plan. In my case, I think I'll take the money I would have spent on a Funhouse table and buy a MAME cabinet instead.

Tabe

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Instead of spending a ton on a virtual cab, I just went the cheap route and got an X-arcade Tankstick and put it in front of an LCD monitor in portrait mode, powered by an old laptop I wasn't using for anything else any more (it's still plenty powerful enough for VP9 and Pro Pinball).....of course it's not as snazzy as a cab, but it only cost me a couple hundred bucks and I have the feel of pinball with the buttons on the side of the Tankstick. This might be an option for anyone else who's on a tighter budget like me. You could even get adventurous and build your own frame for the monitor so you could lay it flush with the Tankstick if you wanted too.

Last edited:

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
If i would have the money and i wanted to buy a pinballmachine and my wife dont let me. I think i am gonne drain her right to the middle, cause come on: were men!!! We need pinballs !!!

--

But ok, the question still stands: how much maintenance is involved with a NIB stern pinball machine?

I really want to know. Must be some NIB members on this forum who can give us some information?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.