iCade button mapping

cak

Feb 18, 2013
Hi all, I'm considering buying an iCade core specifically for TPA, but I'd like to have some info on button placement. I'm particularly interested in the controls used for nudging.

As far as I understand, the leftmost and rightmost buttons on the lower row are mapped to left and right flipper.
The joystick is used for plunger control, nudge up and nudge diagonal.

Are there also two buttons for nudge left/right? Are they reversed, in that right button nudges left and vice versa?

Of course any feedback on the controller itself and its usability with TPA (any lag / responsiveness issue?) would also be welcome :)

Thank you!

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Are there also two buttons for nudge left/right? Are they reversed, in that right button nudges left and vice versa?

The two buttons between the flipper buttons are used for left/right. The right button pushes the table left and vice-versa, but you can still turn "invert nudge" to ON if you want to change that. The unit itself is very responsive with unnoticeable lag. However, the buttons that are included require a lot of pressure to enable and have a very audible and annoying clicking sound. My fingers were actually getting tired after just one game of Joust.

I replaced the buttons with much better leaf-switch type buttons. Very light pressure, very little noise. I also modified the iCade itself by adding buttons on the sides for better pinballing. But here's the problem with that scenario. When you're in position with your hands holding on to each side of the iCade as if it were an actual pinball machine, the position of the iPad itself is too steep. You end up pushing your hands away from you just to see it better.

If you get one, I suggest you at least replace the included buttons. Good luck.

cak

Feb 18, 2013
Thank you Fungi for the thorough reply!
Unfortunately, that's not what I was expecting... I had read that the buttons are very noisy, but I had no idea that button presses could also be so hard to register.
Your experience with Joust sounds very disappointing, although I would use the iCade only with TPA, where button presses are probably not as frequent.

To tell the truth, I've been undecided for a long time between buying the season 1 ticket for ipad or for my ps vita, which is the system I'm currently playing TPA on. I was leaning on the ipad due to the bad rendition of most tables on the vita and thanks to the icade's addition of physical buttons, but I'm not going to do any modding and comfort of play is my main priority, therefore I think I'm back to the drawing table now.

Btw any additional feedback, possibly from people who have both systems and decided for either one, would be much appreciated.

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
cak, I use my unmodded iCade all the time, and it works fine. I love playing the game with it.

heddhunter

Sep 29, 2012
Thank you Fungi for the thorough reply!
Unfortunately, that's not what I was expecting... I had read that the buttons are very noisy, but I had no idea that button presses could also be so hard to register.
Your experience with Joust sounds very disappointing, although I would use the iCade only with TPA, where button presses are probably not as frequent.

To tell the truth, I've been undecided for a long time between buying the season 1 ticket for ipad or for my ps vita, which is the system I'm currently playing TPA on. I was leaning on the ipad due to the bad rendition of most tables on the vita and thanks to the icade's addition of physical buttons, but I'm not going to do any modding and comfort of play is my main priority, therefore I think I'm back to the drawing table now.

Btw any additional feedback, possibly from people who have both systems and decided for either one, would be much appreciated.

I replaced the bottom row of buttons on my icade core with silent/soft touch buttons and it is a huge improvement. Only takes a few minutes, no soldering required.

The factory buttons are incredibly stiff/clicky/loud.

But, iPad + iCade Core + TPA = pinball heaven.

cak

Feb 18, 2013
Ok, thank you all again.
After some more research, I've found out that the stiffness (and clickiness) of the buttons is indeed an issue.
To be honest, I'm not too keen on spending money on a controller that should probably be modded right away, especially when I have a vita there ready and willing. :)

Nevertheless, in case I changed my mind and eventually decided to get some replacement buttons, can anyone tell me if the ones below would do the trick?

http://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/Gold-Leaf-Arcade-Button.html

They have leaf switches and the description says "This button will fit securely in a 26-28mm mounting hole", which should be compatible with the original buttons (which should be 28mm, as far as I understand).

cak

Feb 18, 2013
Excellent, sounds like a reasonably cheap and easy mod, might give it a try after all.
Just one more curiosity / suggestion: did you buy any spare button when you ordered them, or did you just get 8? I'm wondering what's the chance of one or more of them malfunctioning due to wear or bad mounting.

cak

Feb 18, 2013
Ok I've ordered the icade core, it should be here next week.
Unfortunately, after some more research I've discovered that in later revisions a couple of security torx screws have been added, it's annoying but not a big issue either.
Thank you all guys for your feedback, I hope I'll love the unit as it is like Gord Lacey did.

Btw, the street price of the icade core in Italy is 69 euros, , which is more than 90$... that's insane, really.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
You'll need a torx T8 bit to remove those security screws. Also, it might not be immediately obvious but there are screws under each of the four rubber feet. I've taken apart and gutted more than 30 icade core's now. :)

cak

Feb 18, 2013
Yep, those are what I use.

Fungi, do you have the regular iCade or the core version?

I'm asking because I've realized that the core's base is barely deep enough to accommodate the original buttons.
Since the gold leaf buttons are about as deep as the original ones but the connections are vertical instead of horizontal, I'm afraid that this might be an issue. The iCade shouldn't have any problem as it has a thicker base. This image shows a comparison of the two types of buttons, but the perspective doesn't clear out my doubts.

Btw, I can confirm that the unit is shipped with two T8 security torx screws, which is very annoying because it's hard to find the corresponding screwdriver (I had them removed in a cellphone repair shop anyway).
And, yes, I totally confirm that the buttons are too stiff for comfortable play. I decided I had to change them the moment I tried TPA for the first time...

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Fungi, do you have the regular iCade or the core version?

I'm asking because I've realized that the core's base is barely deep enough to accommodate the original buttons.
Since the gold leaf buttons are about as deep as the original ones but the connections are vertical instead of horizontal, I'm afraid that this might be an issue. The iCade shouldn't have any problem as it has a thicker base. This image shows a comparison of the two types of buttons, but the perspective doesn't clear out my doubts.

Yes, I have the core version. Don't worry, they'll fit just fine.

Eaton Beaver

Jan 25, 2014
I bought a used ION iCade cabinet last week on eBay for $10.00 + shipping and it arrived today. Everything works great on it I just had to replace the AA batteries and played The Pinball Arcade for several hours today. I think I need to work on nudging I use two fingers on each flipper button and haven't got proper timing down yet on when to nudge. I played several games of Twilight Zone to get used to pulling the plunger down and aiming skill shots. Is the side art on the actual cabinet a sticker? I was hoping to get a friend to do different decals on it.

mrtangerineman

May 7, 2013
Just bought one of these good as new at a car boot sale today for £2. Bargain of the day! Seems to play great. I do fancy the idea of buttons on the sides, are there any online guides as to how to do this?

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
This is fascinating. I play on an iPad Air and had never heard of this ION iCade cabinet thingy until this thread.

On eBay UK it seems to cost about £60-100 for the various versions and whatnot. That's pretty pricey huh, so I like the idea of buying second hand.

So is it not annoying with the joystick in the way on the left, and both buttons on the right? Doesn't that mean your hands are in an unnatural position? Does it mean I could no longer comfortably play sat on the bog or lying down in bed, do I need a flat surface to play on instead?

Is it compatible with the latest iPad or just the earlier ones, as the size and thickness are different?

Is the original icade good too, or is it the core I need?

How come someone modded 30 of these, are you selling these on? Wanna sell me one?

Any further thoughts or suggestions? Anyone in UK tried this and have a cheap recommended supplier? I'm not sure I can justify £100 on a peripheral that needs immediate modding as the buttons are too stiff.

Thanks fellas

P.s. Good luck in the World Cup game peeps

Last edited:

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
So is it not annoying with the joystick in the way on the left, and both buttons on the right? Doesn't that mean your hands are in an unnatural position? Does it mean I could no longer comfortably play sat on the bog or lying down in bed, do I need a flat surface to play on instead?

Is it compatible with the latest iPad or just the earlier ones, as the size and thickness are different?

Is the original icade good too, or is it the core I need?

I'll take this.

It's not annoying having the stick on the left. Both buttons on the right is very playable. The stick is used for nudging. That being said, it does feel unnatural. Then again, the only thing that feels natural is actually shaking the thing, but that's a whole other issue.

It's only comfortable when played on a table. If you mod it like I have, with buttons on the side, it does feels more natural, BUT, the angle the iCade holds the iPad is no longer comfortable for pinball. The ideal iPad mod are Sotie's little miniature tables. That's the ideal angle for such a mod.

I don't believe the original iCades will work with the mini, but the Core iCades will. Thickness of the iPad is not an issue.

So after all is said and done, I honestly don't use it. It's great for MAME tho'.

Last edited:

Eaton Beaver

Jan 25, 2014
When I bought my iCade I was hoping to play Street Fighter IV Volt, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 and Street Fighter Vs. Tekken but I don't think those apps are iCade supported which is a real bummer. It works well with both Pac Man & Ms. Pac Man and I have also played Sonic The Hedgehog with it. I rarely play The Pinball Arcade on it though I find I can get better games going via touchscreen. I would love to send Sotie my existing iCade and work out a reduced price deal with him for one of his beautiful custom jobs.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.