iCade Core mini-review and offer

DeeEff

Feb 28, 2013
So last week I bought an iCade Core (from Amazon) to use with miPad4 and TPA, hoping I'd get better ball control given discrete nudge buttons and whatnot. See the other threads in this forum (sotie's mod thread is great, BTW) for physical details on the actual controller.

But... I don't like it.

Without taking miPad out of its case it doesn't fit the provided slot, and I don't want to be uncasing the thing all the time, so I end up with the iPad on the table with the iCade in front of it -- not an ideal playing position.

Setup is dead easy if you've ever paired Bluetooth before, no problem there. But I definitely perceive a small bit of lag between an iCade button press and corresponding response from the iPad. It's a very small delay, akin to the PS3 "flipper lag" that people talk about -- nothing serious, but noticeable when compared to the direct screen-taps in iOS TPA.

The buttons take quite a bit of force to press -- if I was keeping the iCade I would definitely buy some good buttons to replace the stock ones (and probably do sotie's side button mod while I was at it).

And I just don't like the one-level "disconnectedness" from the game I get when I'm playing; I guess I've come to prefer tapping directly on the iPad, nudge logistics problems and all. Plus I find myself thinking "hey, if I'm going to play TPA with a controller, I might as well fire up the PS3 and play on the big screen."

So we come to the offer. You want an iCade Core? Free? Even after reading my negative review? If so, PM me and I'll get it to you. If you're within ~50 miles of Petaluma, CA I'll deliver it to you or you can pick it up or you can buy me lunch and I'll give it to you. I'd prefer to recycle it locally, so will give preference to closer people, but if nobody close enough wants it, I'll send it anywhere you want (but you pay shipping). That's it.

Keep on flippin',
-Don

iamoneagain

Oct 4, 2012
I just got the ICade Core and plan to do the mod soon. It takes some getting used to with the stock unit. The buttons are a little hard to press and prefer the nudge button to be above the flipper button, not to the side. I'm sure they'll be a update with button mapping to allow users to change this if not doing the mod. I actually use the iCade in my lap and have the iPad on the desk in a nice little wooden stand you can find on Etsy.com for around $10 or so. Don't really like it with the Ipad in the unit itself.

Even with the stock iCade, I find I play better and finally found Black Knight worth playing since I can use the special buttons quick enough. It's also nice not having to hold the iPad the whole time. Maybe won't be an issue when the light 5 comes out. If there's any lag, doesn't seem to effect my playing. Just feels different from the iPad itself, so you adjust quickly to a different device.

The other thing is you can use this for Atari's greatest hits and if you picked up Gridlee, you might have access to some 80's arcade games that play so much better on the iCade then the on screen controls.

Anyway, someone should grab this thing while you can. I think once I have the mod, will enjoy so much more with softer buttons and more natural feel with them on the side like a real table.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
I also live in the Bay Area but I've already purchased mine! I'm not noticing the lag that you're describing. I'm using an iPad 3 on 6.1.3. Are you on 6.1.3 also? If I had not installed the buttons on the side I wouldn't be able to play TPA on the iCade. It's too uncomfortable for me with the buttons on top and they are REALLY hard to press.

I always install high quality skins on my iPads in conjunction with smart covers so it's super easy to remove the smart cover to place in the iCade.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
It's too uncomfortable for me with the buttons on top and they are REALLY hard to press.

Yeah, I replaced those buttons within a week of getting it. I've never gotten tired while playing Joust before. Those original buttons had to go and go quick.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.