Idea: use credits for leader board entry

David Smith

Feb 28, 2012
Here's an idea to add some excitement to the leaderboards: what if you could only post a high score if you get it with an earned credit? You'd have to win a replay, match or special first, and then that game could qualify for a leaderboard score. This would give some use to credits, and add an extra layer of challenge with pressure to play well when it counts.

I could be implemented by switching ROMs from Free Play to standard credit mode. Add an "add credit" button so you could always a start a game, but each use of the add credit button disqualifies you from the leaderboards for one game. As a bonus, the conversion of some extra balls to replays/specials would make games shorter and more challenging.

Could be used just for the tournaments I guess, but I think it would work well for standard play. Also Farsight could sell leaderboards-qualifying credits as an in-app purchase (which would be fine with me).

What do people think?

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Well, that would put me in a position where I would play the table only until I popped a replay. I would then quit midgame just so I could play the table again for the score chase. I then would be disgruntled at the fact that I was made to jump that hoop.

Or do you mean that I could use credits that I accumulated through my history with TPA. If so, also meaningless as it would be easy to bank thousands of credits.

David Smith

Feb 28, 2012
Well, that would put me in a position where I would play the table only until I popped a replay. I would then quit midgame just so I could play the table again for the score chase. I then would be disgruntled at the fact that I was made to jump that hoop.

Or do you mean that I could use credits that I accumulated through my history with TPA. If so, also meaningless as it would be easy to bank thousands of credits.

The idea is that you could bank credits on each table. Basically any game started with "Credits: 1" or better counts for leaderboards.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I suggested this a while back, and i think it's a fun idea.
It would also allow the replay score to go up and down like on a real table too. If someone is constantly popping a free game at the replay score it could go up with time but adjust downward too. Matches would count as well as specials earned. Maybe have a max 9 banked credit too.

I think it would reward the most consistent players.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012

An easy fix to that would be to make it so quitting or restarting a match costs you two "tokens" to help prevent cheating.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
An easy fix to that would be to make it so quitting or restarting a match costs you two "tokens" to help prevent cheating.

And a fix to that would be to just let the rest of the balls drain after popping. The point is moot since it's not the intention of the op.

David Smith

Feb 28, 2012
And a fix to that would be to just let the rest of the balls drain after popping. The point is moot since it's not the intention of the op.

Actually, I think it would be fine. If all you care about is the leaderboards, go ahead and let the balls drain once you get a replay. Hey, start a game and immediately drain to try for a match, if that's what floats your boat.

Personally, I'd be trying for the replay each game *with credits already banked* so that I can play for a high score and also rack up credits/specials to keep the streak going.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.