If I Were Getting a Pinball Machine, what would I need to know?

mystman12

Apr 21, 2013
Hey, so I've obviously always wanted a pinball machine, but that's not happening anytime soon. I'm a teen, I don't have a job yet, (Other than mowing some lawns over the summer) and if there's anything expensive that I'm going to buy first, it would have to be a car. But what I'm asking is, what are the things I should know before I get a pinball machine? (I mean, I'm going to get one eventually[I hope]) I have questions like, what would I need to buy beforehand, how much does it generally cost to keep a pinball machine in good condition, and what would be a good starter machine, etc. Basically, any information you would give to anyone about to buy one. And also, any tips on getting a pinball machine for a good price? I don't really want an EM or an old SS, more like something around or later than Fire! Not much older, anything newer. Although, I would consider getting something older if a good opportunity came up. Anyways, I'll just wait for your replies while I wish for a pinball machine for Christmas. (And there is a 0.0000000000000000000000...a few thousand 0's later...00000000001 chance that will happen :p)

Last edited:

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
I'm in the same boat in that I'm looking to make a first purchase. I'm 24 and working full time, though, so it might happen sooner than you :p

From what I've heard for a first purchase you want something reliable, so you can learn how to diagnose and fix faults at a good pace without the whole thing breaking on you at once. Also don't expect to find a TZ or MM for a bargain - a good first machine is one that you like but isn't seen as a bona fide classic. Maybe a SEGA, Data East or something Pre-DMD. I get the feeling my first purchase will be a lesser-known alphanumeric. People often suggest Pinbot as a good first machine, as you can get one for pretty cheap. I saw one going for £650 a few days ago, don't know what the equivalent in the US would be, $1000?

Also figure out how to transport it or where to put it. Delivery doesn't come cheap, and has the disadvantage of not being able to see the machine before it arrives at your doorstep, but might be the only option. An most delivery guys won't take it up stairs for you. Lots of little things like that I've heard that you'll need to prepare for, but I'm sure some owners can fill you in more.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
20 year old machines and reliability really don't go together :p

Sooner or later its going to throw you in the deep end.

I'm borrowing machines at the moment as I just bought a house, but the first thing I did was remove all the connectors, take the head off and playfield out so it was more easily manageable up my stairs!

bluenose79

Mar 1, 2013
If u can't afford a pinball machine with a one off payment have thought about finance, few companies in the Uk sell pinball machines this way.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
Find someone that lives reasonably close to you that has experience owning and fixing machines that can sort of mentor you. That way you can ask their advice on silly things like what cleaners/wax/multimeter/lift/dolly/soldering iron/etc to buy when you need them and even better go to their place to learn how to fix the issues that will certainly pop up. Trust me, its much easier being a noob owner when you have someone to lean on.

That and definitely join Pinside.com

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts