Illegal video on youtube + TPA android hack: do something!

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Looking for new TPA videos on youtube, I found this video posted yesterday:
***Link removed***

It seems quite illegal! :mad:

I don't have an android device, I don't know if it works or not, but reading the comments, it seems to be!

icon13.png

Last edited by a moderator:
N

netizen

flag the video as spam/scam with a comment about how the producers are profiting from piracy. The site to get the files from is geared to surveys and ads when you complete a dl. That is where they make their money.

That should get this video removed, but in the long run .... it will not stop people from cracking apks. I have directed Ryan, the Android dev, to cracked APK sources as well, and there's not much that can be done really, unless FS wants to try and track down the individuals responsible for the "unlocking" process.

This shouldn't stop us from flagging and trying to stop these sources when thy pop up on larger distro channels like youtube tho.

Flag Brigade :mad:

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
Its unfortunate but this stuff happens all the time. Send the link to FS so they are aware at least.

Edit: Netizen covered it already.

Last edited:

LanceBoyle

Jul 5, 2013
What a buncha f***ers. Hell, they're not even using Android footage on that vid!

I also highly doubt it's a newer version that they're pirating, anyway.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
The video has 13 views and like 5 comments.

It probably the maker commenting himself and its probably bogus.

That said piracy is an issue with Android for any game but there's still enough legit buyers to justify development otherwise they wouldn't make that version.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
It's an unfortunate Android reality - good stuff gets pirated because it's so easy. One dev recorded sales of several thousand on iOS, 54 on Android. When he looked at the play logs, Android beat iOS by 2:1 or more on release day. By the end of the week, he had 50,000 Android users and maybe 1,000-ish copies were sold in total. It went up a bit when he posted about it.

The only real DRM on APKs comes when you get 4.2 Jellybean (not 4.1) where Google locked the APKs to the phone it was downloaded on. But if you have 4.1 Jellybean, 4.0 ICS or 2.3 Gingerbread, it's open season (that's about 80-90% of the deployed devices).

FS could use Google Services Framework, but that only exists on Google Android devices, and no Kindle or Ouya or other Android based devices.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Or maybe it's a bunch of people that saw this post. :confused:

When I posted the link, there was about 2.400 views.

Fortunately, the video only appears as youtube result only if you select "this week" (today, this month) filter.

night

May 18, 2012
All digital stuff gets pirated all the time, that's the way it was, is and will be tomorrow. People who pirate are not necessary 'buyers'.
I believe a recent research have shown that people who pirate a lot of music buy also more music than people who don't pirate at all.

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
If it's legit, FS should be aware and it'll be (hopefully interestingly) broken in the first update. In the mean time it's still free publicity.

LanceBoyle

Jul 5, 2013
If it's legit, FS should be aware and it'll be (hopefully interestingly) broken in the first update. In the mean time it's still free publicity.

I'm pretty sure updating it does that, anyway. A relative of mine used to have a cracked TPA APK, and he updated it, and of course, it essentially denied it. It did update, but he didn't have any of the tables.

He then uninstalled it and reinstalled the cracked APK, anyway.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Well, that's the best way to do it - release a new version every month and each update makes it a chore for the pirates to go find an updated version.

But piracy is also a function of the platform - Android piracy is higher than iOS, for example, because Android makes it a part of the system to do so (between allowing root, sideloading, etc), just like PC piracy is higher than console piracy. (And yes, PC piracy will happen on Steam).

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
Well, that's the best way to do it - release a new version every month and each update makes it a chore for the pirates to go find an updated version.

A chore to find an updated pirated version, agreed, but with "interestingly broken" I meant that it'll play for a little bit, then for instance come up with a screen announcing the version is unauthorized, that FS is a small company and that every sale makes a difference, and then go through the Play Store, to make it easy to buy a legit copy. Doing so however needs to be done in a way that never, ever legitimate users will see this. What was that app again that started tweeting stuff about being a pirate?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.