I'm having trouble getting into TPA, a big part is the 2 machines I bought.

George Klepacz

Feb 20, 2012
This is crazy. My pinball addiction started late. I didn't bother playing machines much growing up because I thought all you did was flip the ball up and try to keep it alive as long as possible. Enter the Xbox 360 version of PHOF:WC and I learned that I missed out on a lot. I didn't know that if you knocked down these drop targets, scores increased, if you lit up these lanes (which you could change), your multiplier increased. Rulesets?! I was clueless to how in depth these machines really are. Needless to say I felt like an idiot and am disappointed I didn't enjoy pinball when arcades were in their prime.

Enter TPA. Not familiar with real world pinball, PHOF seemed fine to me. But with TPA, the ball movement is much better, the graphics improved, and most tables have ROM emulation. If you look at my post history, you'll see how enthused I've been about this game. I wouldn't be a member of this forum otherwise. The reason I've liked the video game version of pinball was because I thought I'd never be able to afford my own machine, and I like that Farsight has emulated many tables I'll probably never get a chance to see in person. And if so, probably only for a few games worth of time.

Last month I was in the right situation financially to have some "fun" money and ended up buying my first two machines. What a blast it is to have my own machines!!! And it's not just fun playing them, it was fun to LED them both, I've enjoyed working on my Demolition Man to get rid of some nagging problems that were there at first, I've upgraded ROM chips, it's been a hobby in every sense of the word. :)

Now my problem. I've messed around so much with my machines that I've put TPA to the side. Well, today I felt like bringing out my tablet and fired up some Attack From Mars. Ugh, the difference in ball movement is hard to ignore now that I have a reference to real life pinball. The same difference I saw from PHOF to TPA where the ball seems less floaty I am now seeing with real life and TPA. Now don't get me wrong, I know it's a video game and I'm not saying Farsight hasn't done an amazing job, but now that I have the reference point, it was hard for me to get into the game. I tried my favorite, BOP, and I couldn't play anymore.

So Farsight began my addiction, but now they are losing me to the addiction they created!

I don't know, maybe if I fire up the 360 version I'll feel better. Maybe not since the table selection is a lot smaller due to the publisher thing. And then with the PS3 version I've read so many posts on how inferior the graphics are on all of the add-on packs, I'm not going to bother with that version at all. Add to that the upcoming PS4 and whatever the future Xbox might bring, I just don't have any motivation to buy any more TPA packs.

I don't know, maybe I'm just in a mood because it is 38 degrees out when it's supposed to be Spring. Stupid weather.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I don't think TPA and real pinball need to be mutually exclusive. I've had access to about 80 machines on a regular basis for a year now, and have been playing TPA for about the same amount of time. You just appreciate each of them for what they are and what they offer.

After all, it's not like I can take my Twilight Zone to work and play during lunch. But I can take TPA's TZ to work, even if it's not the same as the real thing.

And yes, this weather needs to go. Cold and flooding is no way to go through April.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I nearly walked away from TPA at Christmas, with all the platform problems, failed promises, and TZ being released with little skill required to achieve LITZ, and general low difficulty, I'd almost decided to call it quits.

Then 2 things, first the tunings and physics improved with the AFM pack. And secondly I decided to treat TPA as a mobile only game, forgetting about all the other platforms with their various problems.
It's a great mobile game, not a simulation (especially if you have the real thing to play), but as Sean said, I can play it on my break at work, or whilst sitting on the sofa with my wife.
I think I've found a personal peace with TPA now by thinking of it as 'just a tablet game' rather than a simulation.

I have been drawn into Zen more recently than TPA, but the last table pack has dragged me back to TPA again. The TPA version of Space Shuttle is so much better than the scripted WPHOF one. And White Water I'm getting into too. Also Genie has me by the nuts this month, yet 2 wks ago I found it dull, but, it's got its hook in me. Can't wait to see how Pinbot turns out.

I have a full set of all the mobile tables including all the pro packs, and although not as good value as Zen, I've easily had many times the cost in entertainment worth from them personally.
I won't bother with PC (other than KS rewards) or other platforms or pending systems, but I do enjoy TPA again now, and I'm looking forward to mobile improvements like, nudge up, controller support, increased pro pack functionality and emulated BK.
As long as quality doesn't deteriorate (don't mind the odd bug), I'll keep buying whilst Farsight keep releasing them.

atari2600

Mar 3, 2013
You cant compare the real thing to an emulated version. but i find the ps3 version way better than ois and xbox.
when i was a kid in the eighties me and my mates would prefer Williams tables over Bally. Williams tables seemed sturdy and well crafted but bally tables always seemed plasticky and just not well made. Now that is something you cant emulate.
A couple of my mates have got pinnys (Jokerz, Bride of Pinbot, Black Knight 2000) and they sneer at TPA. but they have bugs of there own. ie there alway seems to be something wrong with them you know worn out with certain idiosyncrasies. like its near on impossible to hit up the centre ramp on jokerz etc.
I guess thats one thing I like about TPA. the tables never break down due to wear and tear etc.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
It's definitely all about the mindset. I think that's one of the big reasons I'm able to look past certain bugs or graphical problems I may have. TPA taps right into my nostalgic portion of the brain, like hearing an old song on the radio. The song might be complete crap, but suddenly you recall the happy times associated with it and that is enough. I like Zen tables, but that is where the disconnect comes for me. It has nothing to do with the physics or look or layout of the tables, but the lack of any real world memories to go along with it.

Glad you found your peace with TPA as is.

George Klepacz

Feb 20, 2012
I'll work on changing my mind set, but I don't know if it will be easy. Maybe if I came from real pinball first and then to TPA it wouldn't even be an issue with me. Probably actually. :)

I'm glad TPA's tables are perfect versions (not talking programming, talking real world issues like wear and tear), but I have to admit that part of the appeal of now owning a coupe of machines is having to tinker with them.

So far in my F-14:

Changed most lights to LEDs
Fixed a coil pin that came out where the game wouldn't kick a locked ball onto the field
Reseated a few inserts
Printed new apron cards
Polished and waxed the playfield
Replaced all of the rubber
Wired sound to external subwoofer
Adjusted playfield to proper recommended angle
Fixed a leaf switch that wasn't registering
Bought new pinballs
Worked on deyellowing the upper white beacon
And in the near future I will be re-adding the two flashers that were removed per a Williams service bulletin

Demolition Man:

Changed almost all lights to LEDs, only left some I really liked as incandescents
Adjusted the playfield to recommended angle
Updated game and sound ROMs (big difference from early prototype software to real version)
Put the legs on properly (don't know how previous owner played such a slow machine)
Filed the divots out of the ball trough so multiball would start working properly
Resoldered a wire back onto the ball launch coil
Fixed a resetting issue
Wired sound to an external subwoofer (sounds excellent!)
Fixed a broken spring on the ramp diverter arm
Adjusted the gap in a leaf switch that wasn't nearly sensitive enough
Made my own custom apron cards (used other people's art and clips of photos, not taking credit for that)
In the future I will be adding in the correct Hot Wheels Old 442 from the movie. I have the car, but have to take a lot of the playfield apart to get to where it goes

All of the above are what makes pinball a fun hobby to me and you simply can't emulate that, and it would cost too much, I'm sure, to create a simulation mode for stuff like the above at least in relation to return sales.

I guess what I'm getting at is, TPA is a cool GAME, but now that my eyes have been opened to the WORLD of pinball, it's difficult for me to get into it. I'll have to retrain my brain into the mode where I'm not tinkering and just enjoying the game itself. I mean believe or not, I actually do play my machines. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.