iPad Pro... Anyone else tempted?

pureinstinct93

Nov 25, 2015
I purchased an iPad Pro as an upgrade from my iPad Air. While it is true that the graphics are not optimized, small jaggies (stair-step edges) can be seen on diagonal lines if you look for them, this is a minor visual inconvenience when compared to the much greater immersion that you get when playing tables on the larger screen. In over a week of that I have had it, I have beaten my personal best scores on every table that I have played, multiple times! The ability to see more of the playfield more easily and to see the ball's trajectory has enabled me to play better. And playing better has made TPA much more fun!

haj

Sep 28, 2012
I purchased an iPad Pro as an upgrade from my iPad Air. While it is true that the graphics are not optimized, small jaggies (stair-step edges) can be seen on diagonal lines if you look for them, this is a minor visual inconvenience when compared to the much greater immersion that you get when playing tables on the larger screen. In over a week of that I have had it, I have beaten my personal best scores on every table that I have played, multiple times! The ability to see more of the playfield more easily and to see the ball's trajectory has enabled me to play better. And playing better has made TPA much more fun!

This is what I expected to hear! And probably less area is hidden by the hands and it'd contribute to better play. Ah, and I have much use of Pro other than TPA! Only if I can justify...

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
I think a lot of people forget that only native apps will support the new resolution for a long time. On top of that, Farsight probably doesn't have native res support for iPad Pro very high on their list of priorities.... how about 3.0 flipper physics first?

I personally think it's a little too big. I have a laptop and a swivel monitor for home use, my iPad is for in-bed or on the go, so I wouldn't want it that big, especially at that price. I definitely hate look at muddy, low-res assets all blown out and knowing I paid more for it. I think Pencil is by far the most appealing aspect of the Pro and the best justification for the screen size, and that's another hundo on top.

shanecole

Nov 2, 2012
I think a lot of people forget that only native apps will support the new resolution for a long time. On top of that, Farsight probably doesn't have native res support for iPad Pro very high on their list of priorities.... how about 3.0 flipper physics first?

I personally think it's a little too big. I have a laptop and a swivel monitor for home use, my iPad is for in-bed or on the go, so I wouldn't want it that big, especially at that price. I definitely hate look at muddy, low-res assets all blown out and knowing I paid more for it. I think Pencil is by far the most appealing aspect of the Pro and the best justification for the screen size, and that's another hundo on top.

I've got a lot of games that support the native resolution, none of my pinball ones have got around to it still yet. Put it this way, I could play with my iPad Pro horizontal and if they supported the native resolution have the same detail visible, instead i get the 1512 of a normal retina ipad scaled up to that 2048.

shanecole

Nov 2, 2012
months later still no ipad pro resolution support.

Whats wrong with these devs that they cant take a day out and get it happening already?

Lou Villanueva

Mar 9, 2012
months later still no ipad pro resolution support.

Whats wrong with these devs that they cant take a day out and get it happening already?

Frustrating that they haven't yet, but it's still a joy to play games with that large gorgeous screen ������

shanecole

Nov 2, 2012
wow, after back and forth with support email saying it would happen eventually, i forwarded the exchange to the big man Jay @ Farsight and he completely agrees they should be supporting the native resolutuons by now, inexcusable was his words.

They have a new UI coming soon and it could be that it will include support for iphone 6/6s plus and ipad pro resolutions with that instead of adding support to the old one. He is going to chase it up, he wasnt aware they dont support the native resolutions still.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Good to hear Shanecole, I'm planning on checking out that iPad Pro when that support for high resolution is in place.

MnHotRod

Jul 26, 2013
iPad Pro on sale for $699. Was going to pick one up, just to play Pinball Arcade. Looks like no support yet, so I will wait a bit longer. :(

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
iPad Pro on sale for $699. Was going to pick one up, just to play Pinball Arcade. Looks like no support yet, so I will wait a bit longer. :(

Were working on it, last I saw, it looked great but there were a few issues with the UI that needed to be addressed.

Iguana

Jul 28, 2013
I was the one that started this thread way back in November. Since then, my trusty iPad 3 took a dive, so I (reluctantly) invested in an iPad Pro 12.9".

I started a bug thread concerning an issue with the left flipper, which sporadically doesn't respond to touch. The only response was from a person who had the same issue with two android devices. No help with a fix, but he did mention experiencing the same glitch on both TPA and Zacc.

I was then inspired to try a couple other pinball apps to see if the same thing happened.

So I played games on Zen, ASK homework/Zacc, and pro pinball/time-shock.

The glitch occurred on all but Pro pinball (though I only played one game).

Now I'm racing the clock... I have until November 12 for a refund or exchange. They'll let me do it one time with a $35 restocking fee.

First of all, is there anybody out there who also has an iPad pro and experiences the same glitch?

App vs. device:

Well, several apps behave the same way. Implies the device is at fault... But is it? Is the problem that the apps aren't native to the iPad Pro, and simply running the best they can on the newer device (including the dreaded sporatic left flipper)?

It seems I have one chance to replace or exchange my device, and time is of the essence.

If I trade for an identical iPad 12.9" and the problem persists, I'm screwed. Thinking of replacing the big one with the 9.7", but what if it's a iPad Pro issue and not a screen size issue.

Another option is the iPad Air, but it will render my Apple Pencil useless.

Any help you guys can offer will be greatly appreciated. I miss playing pinball. I feel like I'm at a physical arcade with all of the tables crippled with the same broken part.

I've invested in all of the TPA tables on iOS, and would like to return to normal play.

Floppyfloppy, where are you?

CycOd3liC

Feb 28, 2012
I had an iPad3 and it was just too heavy and cumbersome. I really wanted a smaller tablet as when I had my Nexus 7 and it was just right. The Pro is nice and light like the AIR but still too big for my taste. I recently picked up the Mini4 and it's perfect for me. TPA plays nice and smooth.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I have the 12.9", but haven't really played pinball much on it. I did fire up TPA today to see if I could notice any dead left flippers, but everything seemed fine on several different tables, both in landscape and portrait. Let me know if there's anything specific you want me to test.

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
I've had an ipad 3, now an Air 2, love the form factor. The Air 2 graphic rendering is better than ipad 3, faster processor, plus it's lighter. I would consider an ipad pro...but will wait for the next version to see if they can get the weight down a little more.

Iguana

Jul 28, 2013
I have the 12.9", but haven't really played pinball much on it. I did fire up TPA today to see if I could notice any dead left flippers, but everything seemed fine on several different tables, both in landscape and portrait. Let me know if there's anything specific you want me to test.

Hi, Jeff!

I don't know how you hold your iPad while playing... I support mine with three fingers in back, "pinkies" curled while supporting the bottom, and thumbs tapping the touch screen.

The dead spot is approximately 1-1/2" from the bottom and 1/2" from the left side... Slightly left to where my thumb naturally makes contact with the touchscreen while holding the device as described.

I've been able to reproduce the dead tap by cradling the ball with the right flipper and repeatively tapping with my left thumb.

I noticed when I keep my thumb in contact with the touchscreen after finding (for lack of a better term) the sweet spot, the flipper remains in its down position.

I have most of the better pinball apps, and have been able to reproduce this issue on Zacc, Zen and Time-shock (and each available orientation).

On Zacc, the right flipper cradling the ball will eventually deactivate while I keep contact with the left flipper during its unresponsive state.

So puzzling... All evidence suggests the iPad Pro is the culprit, as the problem occurs on several apps.

On the other hand, all of these apps were developed prior to the release of the iPad Pro... I don't now if I'm using the correct term, but could it be a translation issue? As in the apps aren't optimally functional on an iPad Pro because the device was released after the apps were developed.

Well, thanks in advance for your efforts! And by the way, congrats on your Circus table!! It really looks like a blast to play!

Also, I'm not the chatty type on this forum, but regularly peruse the threads of interest to me. I have admired/enjoyed your posts, as you present yourself as calm, sensible, smart, wise, and most importantly - cool.

Rick (Iguana)

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
I posted this in another thread, but in case you missed it;

Hey Iguana,

I tried to send a message to you but it appears messaging isn't working. A few things I would try is to see if the behavior occurs when the playing the app while the device is being charged and again if it occurs while it's not being charged.

The next step would be to fully power down the device and see if the issue is resolved.

I would also try changing the button scheme to see it's the button or a certain spot on the device that is not receiving input.

Another thing to try is when the behavior occurs, place three fingers on the touchscreen, it's sort of a touch reset for a "ghost touch" issue iPads have.

the ajp

Jun 17, 2012
Had an i pad pro since launch with all tpa tables on it.. never had problem playing it myself .. love the big screen .. although high resolution will be nice when it comes along .

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.