Bug iPad Pro left flipper issue

Iguana

Jul 28, 2013
Was using iPad 3 for TPA, but it went dead.

Bought an iPad Pro (12.9") about a week ago, and I noticed the left flipper occasionally does not respond to touch (frustrating!).

I've tried different orientations, yet the problem persists.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Pinetwig

Dec 23, 2013
I have had this issue for years on android on at least two different devices.

Last edited:

Iguana

Jul 28, 2013
Which is the culprit do you think... App or device(s)?

In my case, I lean towards the app. The dead spot is always on the bottom left of the screen no matter which way it is oriented.

Pinetwig

Dec 23, 2013
Hard to say. played a few games on Zaccaria just now and had one "dead press", however on TPA its so bad I dont play at all nowdays.

Iguana

Jul 28, 2013
Just tried a few Zac tables, three dead presses.
Wish me luck in getting a replacement iPad.

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
Just tried a few Zac tables, three dead presses.
Wish me luck in getting a replacement iPad.

Hey Iguana,

I tried to send a message to you but it appears messaging isn't working. A few things I would try is to see if the behavior occurs when the playing the app while the device is being charged and again if it occurs while it's not being charged.

The next step would be to fully power down the device and see if the issue is resolved.

I would also try changing the button scheme to see it's the button or a certain spot on the device that is not receiving input.

Another thing to try is when the behavior occurs, place three fingers on the touchscreen, it's sort of a touch reset for a "ghost touch" issue iPads have.

Iguana

Jul 28, 2013
Hey Iguana,

I tried to send a message to you but it appears messaging isn't working. A few things I would try is to see if the behavior occurs when the playing the app while the device is being charged and again if it occurs while it's not being charged.

The next step would be to fully power down the device and see if the issue is resolved.

I would also try changing the button scheme to see it's the button or a certain spot on the device that is not receiving input.

Another thing to try is when the behavior occurs, place three fingers on the touchscreen, it's sort of a touch reset for a "ghost touch" issue iPads have.

Thanks for your response!

I tried all of your tips without resolution.

………………………………
………………………………

Anywhere on the touchscreen? While TPA is running? How long should I make contact with the touchscreen?

Another member on the forum offered to try and reproduce my problem. I wrote the following to him:
………………………………………………………
I don't know how you hold your iPad while playing... I support mine with three fingers in back, "pinkies" curled while supporting the bottom, and thumbs tapping the touch screen.

The dead spot is approximately 1-1/2" from the bottom and 1/2" from the left side... Slightly left to where my thumb naturally makes contact with the touchscreen while holding the device as described.

I've been able to reproduce the dead tap by cradling the ball with the right flipper and repeatively tapping with my left thumb.

I noticed when I keep my thumb in contact with the touchscreen after finding (for lack of a better term) the sweet spot, the flipper remains in its down position.

I have most of the better pinball apps, and have been able to reproduce this issue on Zacc, Zen and Time-shock (and each available orientation).

On Zacc, the right flipper cradling the ball will eventually deactivate while I keep contact with the left flipper during its unresponsive state.

So puzzling... All evidence suggests the iPad Pro is the culprit, as the problem occurs on several apps.

On the other hand, all of these apps were developed prior to the release of the iPad Pro... I don't now if I'm using the correct term, but could it be a translation issue? As in the apps aren't optimally functional on an iPad Pro because the device was released after the apps were developed.
……………………………………………………………………………………
I've read on the forum about TPA not being optimized with native resolution for the iPad Pro. Could this be the reason I'm experiencing this problem?

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
You should be able to touch anywhere on the screen at anytime with three fingers to reset the "ghost touch". The only other thing I can think of is that a screen protector might be affecting the input. Other than that I would contact Apple.

Iguana

Jul 28, 2013
You should be able to touch anywhere on the screen at anytime with three fingers to reset the "ghost touch". The only other thing I can think of is that a screen protector might be affecting the input. Other than that I would contact Apple.

No luck with the 3 finger trick.

Pulled off the screen protector, no change.

I can trade the iPad in for another (a one-time deal with a $35 restocking fee), but I'm concerned the same will happen with the new one. If so, I don't know what my options will be.
Also thinking of downgrading to the smaller sized iPad Pro in case the larger device simply cannot handle the app as it is.

Has anyone else had this problem? Always the bottom left no matter which orientation or button setting.

App(s) or device?

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
Was this bought in a store? If yes, go there and ask them to load the free TPA app and try it out yourself (wait, wasn't there a free app? Now I don't remember!)

Iguana

Jul 28, 2013
I'm posting this here because there was an issue with private messaging which I'm not sure has been resolved. It's to Flippyfloppy, and posted here in case it doesn't send.

iPad ghost touch issue/left flipper

Hi, Flippy

I traded in my iPad Pro 12.9" for a new one, and the problem persists.

For what it's worth, I'm a loyal customer who owns all the tables, and I purchase the pro versions of the latest releases sight unseen. Playing TPA is part of my daily routine, but sproratic left flipper unresponsivness pretty much kills the entertainment value of the app for me.

So, I'm clutching at straws.

I see a couple of iPad Pro 12.9 owners posted on the thread that they didn't have any problems.

On the other hand, I did notice a review of TPA on the App Store with the header, "left flipper button doesn't always work on all games," so apparently I'm not the only one experiencing this issue.

Any advice concerning my plight would be greatly appreciated!

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
I'm posting this here because there was an issue with private messaging which I'm not sure has been resolved. It's to Flippyfloppy, and posted here in case it doesn't send.

iPad ghost touch issue/left flipper

Hi, Flippy

I traded in my iPad Pro 12.9" for a new one, and the problem persists.

For what it's worth, I'm a loyal customer who owns all the tables, and I purchase the pro versions of the latest releases sight unseen. Playing TPA is part of my daily routine, but sproratic left flipper unresponsivness pretty much kills the entertainment value of the app for me.

So, I'm clutching at straws.

I see a couple of iPad Pro 12.9 owners posted on the thread that they didn't have any problems.

On the other hand, I did notice a review of TPA on the App Store with the header, "left flipper button doesn't always work on all games," so apparently I'm not the only one experiencing this issue.

Any advice concerning my plight would be greatly appreciated!

I'm fairly certain im onto something, can you try playing the app with the device laying flat and just using your finger tips in the spots you believe are affected?

I believe the input issue revolves around the touch input for iPad Pro's being detected off the display on the black boarders. I've been able to reproduce the effect with the face of my thumbs dragging back and forth along the display and boarder.

If I held the device in both hands, my palm or thumb would be causing the issue as well.

You can also email me at Rob@FarSightStudios.com if messaging isn't working on PAF.

Last edited:

Iguana

Jul 28, 2013
Did what you said. Works fine when tapping with thumb tips.

Can still reproduce the problem without touching the black border on the device, though.

When trying to reproduce the problem with the ball cradled with right flipper and repeatively moving my thumb pad around the left flipper touchscreen area, it sometimes activates the right flipper causing the ball to drain.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I'm fairly certain im onto something, can you try playing the app with the device laying flat and just using your finger tips in the spots you believe are affected?

I believe the input issue revolves around the touch input for iPad Pro's being detected off the display on the black boarders. I've been able to reproduce the effect with the face of my thumbs dragging back and forth along the display and boarder.

If I held the device in both hands, my palm or thumb would be causing the issue as well.

Here's a video I made to show you.

You can also email me at Rob@FarSightStudios.com if messaging isn't working on PAF.

Obviously using a video of Dr Who was deliberate, to see who might be paying attention? ;)

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
Obviously using a video of Dr Who was deliberate, to see who might be paying attention? ;)

Possibly ;)

Did what you said. Works fine when tapping with thumb tips.

Can still reproduce the problem without touching the black border on the device, though.

When trying to reproduce the problem with the ball cradled with right flipper and repeatively moving my thumb pad around the left flipper touchscreen area, it sometimes activates the right flipper causing the ball to drain.

When your moving your thumb around the left flipper, is your palm touching the device? Thats why I wanted to see if you placed it on a flat surface, if the issue persisted if you "hen pecked" the flippers with the tips of your fingers.

Iguana

Jul 28, 2013
Yes, ghost-touch happens without holding device. Only my thumbs making contact with touchscreen.

abouttreefitty

Apr 26, 2014
Thanks for your response!

I tried all of your tips without resolution.

………………………………
………………………………

Anywhere on the touchscreen? While TPA is running? How long should I make contact with the touchscreen?

Another member on the forum offered to try and reproduce my problem. I wrote the following to him:
………………………………………………………
I don't know how you hold your iPad while playing... I support mine with three fingers in back, "pinkies" curled while supporting the bottom, and thumbs tapping the touch screen.

The dead spot is approximately 1-1/2" from the bottom and 1/2" from the left side... Slightly left to where my thumb naturally makes contact with the touchscreen while holding the device as described.

I've been able to reproduce the dead tap by cradling the ball with the right flipper and repeatively tapping with my left thumb.

I noticed when I keep my thumb in contact with the touchscreen after finding (for lack of a better term) the sweet spot, the flipper remains in its down position.

I have most of the better pinball apps, and have been able to reproduce this issue on Zacc, Zen and Time-shock (and each available orientation).

On Zacc, the right flipper cradling the ball will eventually deactivate while I keep contact with the left flipper during its unresponsive state.

So puzzling... All evidence suggests the iPad Pro is the culprit, as the problem occurs on several apps.

On the other hand, all of these apps were developed prior to the release of the iPad Pro... I don't now if I'm using the correct term, but could it be a translation issue? As in the apps aren't optimally functional on an iPad Pro because the device was released after the apps were developed.
……………………………………………………………………………………
I've read on the forum about TPA not being optimized with native resolution for the iPad Pro. Could this be the reason I'm experiencing this problem?

Sounds a lot like the multi touch issue that's been a bug for years.

http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/9205-Iphone-6-Multi-touch-issues

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.