Is there any way to get a Steam shortcut to launch the DX11 version directly?

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Well, I don't want TPA to launch automatically with DX11. My computer has proven to be ill-equipped to run TPA in anything other than DX9. I will not want auto-DX11 until I can afford a new graphics card. And that's going to be a while.....

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Well, I don't want TPA to launch automatically with DX11. My computer has proven to be ill-equipped to run TPA in anything other than DX9. I will not want auto-DX11 until I can afford a new graphics card. And that's going to be a while.....

There are two executables. One for DX9 "PinballArcade.exe" and one for DX11 "PinballArcade11.exe".

Epsilon

Apr 19, 2012

Fair enough, but there has to be a better way to handle this than what is currently there. At the very least there should be a way to have steam remember your selection of DX9 or DX11 and then use the appropriate .exe when launching from a shortcut. Or maybe the two versions need to be split off into separate Steam game ID's so that the shortcuts will work properly. But something is terribly wrong when Steam still launches the DX9 executable even when someone creates a specific shortcut directly pointing to the DX11 one.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
Yeah, this problem and the nag-screen not going away like it should makes it really annoying to play this on a dedicated cabinet right now. I've about given up on playing it until they get it fixed.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Fair enough, but there has to be a better way to handle this than what is currently there. At the very least there should be a way to have steam remember your selection of DX9 or DX11 and then use the appropriate .exe when launching from a shortcut. Or maybe the two versions need to be split off into separate Steam game ID's so that the shortcuts will work properly. But something is terribly wrong when Steam still launches the DX9 executable even when someone creates a specific shortcut directly pointing to the DX11 one.

That's a Steam issue not a TPA issue though. Other games with different launchers run into this issue too. Civ V is one one them, I guess there are others.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
This is a no go. Only solution is the pirated version then... (which is OK if you own all season passes).

Or let us choose which version to download. Would save some hdd space getting rid of the dx9 stuff.

Last edited:

Epsilon

Apr 19, 2012
That's a Steam issue not a TPA issue though. Other games with different launchers run into this issue too. Civ V is one one them, I guess there are others.

I've never had a problem getting a game to launch properly through a shortcut before, and I've played hundreds of games on Steam. But even if it is ultimately something that has to be done on the Steam side, I'm pretty sure the developers of the game are going to have infinitely more potential to work with them to get it resolved than just users idly complaining to Steam's non-existent support.

If nothing else, it would be nice if Farsight could give us some insight on what would happen if we just switched the executable names ourselves manually, which currently seems to be the only way to get it to work. But then presumably it would try to update the DX11 executable with DX9 data when updates are pushed out, and who knows what happens then?

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
So I assume this isn't fixed yet, correct? or a workaround perhaps?

I went to the system files and both exes open DX9. I may have to try opting in and out once more to get it to work.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Not that I know of.
If anyone finds a solution please post it here. Complete reinstall?

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
So I assume this isn't fixed yet, correct? or a workaround perhaps?

I went to the system files and both exes open DX9. I may have to try opting in and out once more to get it to work.

Yes, both exe's launch the DX9 version. However if you rename PinballArcade11.exe to just PinballArcade.exe then it will launch the DX11 version.
That's what I had to do to get it to run on my cabinet.

priested

Nov 7, 2013
Yes, both exe's launch the DX9 version. However if you rename PinballArcade11.exe to just PinballArcade.exe then it will launch the DX11 version.
That's what I had to do to get it to run on my cabinet.

Seems like an update would screw things up or not work or something? What happens when they update the game or add a table? Do you have to manually replace the exe? How would that work?

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
Seems like an update would screw things up or not work or something? What happens when they update the game or add a table? Do you have to manually replace the exe? How would that work?

I think the last update renamed them back and I had to go in and rename them myself again is all.

Epsilon

Apr 19, 2012
I think the last update renamed them back and I had to go in and rename them myself again is all.

Oh, really? Well, that's not a huge deal then. I was just worried it wouldn't update at all if it didn't recognize the contents or something like that. So basically if it starts launching the DX9 version, that's when you know it updated and then you just have to go rename the files again?

If that's the case, I can definitely live with that. Much better than having to launch manually from Steam every time.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
Oh, really? Well, that's not a huge deal then. I was just worried it wouldn't update at all if it didn't recognize the contents or something like that. So basically if it starts launching the DX9 version, that's when you know it updated and then you just have to go rename the files again?

If that's the case, I can definitely live with that. Much better than having to launch manually from Steam every time.

Yep. Todays update added a new PinballArcade.exe and a new PinballArcade11.exe. All I had to do was rename them again so no worries.
Although the nag-screen is still popping up constantly so that still really sucks.

nudnick

Apr 8, 2014
I personally hate logging into Steam all the time. I share my PC with my kids and they have their own Windows profiles and Steam logons so when we switch around, I'm always having to logon back into my Steam account. So I wrote up a batch file that auto logs me into Steam. Here's the CMD line:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -login username password

Just a double click on batchfile and I'm into my Steam account. I also use Free Cam Mod and NoEx just made it so that when you launch the Free Cam Mod you can have it set so that it auto launches PBA. So that way I'm just clicking on 2 quick shortcuts on my desktop and I'm good to go. Just thought I'd throw this out there as an option for quick and easy access.

Septarius

Jun 26, 2013
I found a workaround based on something similar from Kerbal Space Program's 64 bit version back when they had a 64 bit mode.

"Method 2:
1. In the Steam games list, R-click PBA: Properties -> General -> Set Launch Options...

2. type in the following:"the path of PinballArcade11.exe" %command%

example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\PinballArcade\PinballArcade11.exe" %command%

3. run PBA as usual"

From: http://steamcommunity.com/app/220200/discussions/0/35219681790813176/#c35219681792617623

This sets DX11 as default from a steam://runappid shortcut and doubleclicking on either exe in the folder even from my testing.

Hope this helps,

NoEx

Mar 12, 2015
Thanks Septarius! I don't know if this has been implemented in the latest update but now the DX11 version of the game seems to be startable directly.

Last edited:

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
[MENTION=5267]NoEx[/MENTION]
please add this to your cam mod instructions. lots of people will appreciate this.

thanks again septarius!

hint for dumb people like me: PinballArcade11.exe (without space), the " should be typed

edit: I guess this now also works for pinballx with the shortcut launch command?
cant test, only laptop here without pbx

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.